“Nice and quiet”

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 8, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel twice in a span of 3 months; once in July and chose to stay there again in September when I was back in Cali. The first time I stayed there was immediately after having Lasik eye surgery at the eye center next door. The hotel staff was made aware that my vision was limited and were very accommodating and understanding. Because I had such a pleasant experience, I stayed there again in September when passing through Cali and again I was not disappointed. Great staff, wonderfully sized rooms, clean and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Claire G
There are newer reviews for Newport Beach Marriott Bayview

Reviewed April 30, 2014

Stayed at this hotel twice in one month, once for business and once again for vacation, and both times were positive experiences. This is an all-suite hotel so the rooms are larger than your typical Marriott hotel with a separate bedroom connected to a living room area by a set of double doors. The open space concept is a definite plus if you are on extended travel or on vacation with 3 or more people. The only negative, which seems typical of most hotels and not just this one, is that the shower water pressure is a little weak on the higher floors.

The hotel is easily accessible from the highway and about a 5 minute drive to the local shopping area (Fashion Island) and about 15 minutes away from Newport Beach. The hotel location is in a residential/business neighborhood so there is not much within walking distance of the immediate area, but there is a jogging path around the bay, which is adjacent to the hotel, if you were looking for some outdoor activity.

The pool, pool area and hot tub are smaller than average for a Marriott hotel, but it wasn’t crowded at the time (probably because it was early April) and we didn’t have any problems getting lounge chairs or towels. The fitness center is nice and large with brand new equipment, but it is oddly tucked away outside by the pool and away from the hotel area. The lobby/lounge/bar area is standard for a Marriott; bright open space, contemporary design, sleek and well maintained. The restaurant buffet breakfast was an impressive spread, which included hot and cold breakfast items as well as on request make-your-own omelet and Mickey Mouse pancakes (with or without M&Ms – yummy either way).

My experience with the staff here, for the most part, has been excellent. I’m not sure if they are more attentive to guests with Marriott status but they do seem to go out of their way to mitigate any issues you might have during your stay. We happened to get overcharged for our drinks at the bar one night, and after pointing out the mistake at the front desk the next day, they immediately adjusted the charges and we were also given complimentary drink vouchers to compensate for the inconvenience - definitely a nice touch. Already looking forward to coming back here next month.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank sway76
Reviewed April 27, 2014

From the personal greeting, attention to detail, friendly staff, EXTRA QUIET rooms, and phenomenal breakfast buffet, this Mariott has it all. I went there for quiet, and I found it and so much more. It was all the above plus the attitude of their in-house Starbucks barista, Simon, who was not only friendly and engaging, but went out of his way to make it the way I wanted it. The omelet maker behind the buffet prepared custom omelets to PERFECTION! The front desk staff was always there to great passers-by with a warm smile and "hello". And, the cleaning staff was fast, efficient and very friendly, going out of their way to accommodate requests. Thank you for a great stay! As the governator would say, "I'll be back!"

Room Tip: Room at the end of the hall is the best, both the view and the quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is my 2nd honeymoon, my husband and i are extremely happy that we chose the marriott bay view. The room is absolutely beautiful and the view is like no other!! Room 507 is perfect and our little slice of heaven....THANK U MARRIOTT BAY VIEW FOR A WONDERFUL TIME!!!!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now, and every time the staff has gone out of their way to make me feel comfortable and happy. It is located on the bay- rooms overlooking the bay are very nice at sunset! This hotel is also close to Fashion Island , which boasts many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Newport Beach Marriott Bayview Hotel is not located by the beach, but overlooks a lagoon. Set approximately 3-4 miles from the beach, it is located close enough to the beach and John Wayne Airport that it is a convenient location.

The hotel is an all suites hotel. It is on the older side and starting to show its age.

Check-in was friendly, and I was thanked many times for using Marriott mobile app to check-in. Unfortunately, I was not offered a welcome amenity and was grudgingly given a 1:00 PM check-out.

For some reason, Marriott along with Hilton, does not have set rules for late check-out for their top tier members. One thing I love about Hyatt and SPG is that they offer their top tier members a 4:00 PM check-out as a rule.

There is no Executive Lounge in this hotel, so breakfast is included for Platinum members.

Upon entering the room, there is a sitting area straight ahead including a sofa, chair and ottoman.

Beyond that is a small desk with limited working space.

To the right of the entrance is the coffee maker.

The room is a suite of sort, with a set of double doors separating the living room from the bedroom.

The bedroom is somewhat small, but the bed is very comfortable. There must have been somebody smoking in the room prior to my stay, as somebody had covered the smoke detector with a plastic bag. Fortunately, the room did not smell of smoke.

There is a sliding door that separates the bedroom from the sink, and another door separating the sink from the rest of the bathroom. The counter space is somewhat limited but for a short stay will suffice.

The rest of the bathroom is large and includes a tub, separate shower and tub.

I was given a room that overlooked the bay/lagoon.

The breakfast buffet ($19) is somewhat small but contains quality ingredients. There are eggs, bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, waffles, fruit, cereal, muffins, pastries and breads. I believe they will also cook eggs to order or pancakes if you like.

Self-parking is somewhat steep at $21.

The hotel is on the older side and could use a facelift. The location is convenient enough if coming in from the airport, but the front desk could do a better job of acknowledging their elite members.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TheMysteryTraveler
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2014

Dear Mystery Traveler,

For our Gold and Platinum guests we offer a complimentary late checkout and will do our best to extend it passed noon.

I apologize for the issue you had with the smoke detector and have made sure that it has been removed.

I have met with the front desk team to communicate that we need to acknowledge our reward members so that they are appreciated for their loyalty.

I hope that the next time you are in Newport Beach you will give us another chance to exceed your expectations.

Sincerely, John

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We went to Newport Beach for a spring break getaway with my sons. The suites were perfect--plenty of room for all of us, wonderfully comfortable beds, spacious bathroom/shower/tub, and a great pool/gym area.

We especially enjoyed breakfast each morning. Danny and Daniela were great, and they treated us like old friends by the second day of our stay--they knew what my boys wanted before the boys they could even ask. And Javiar made the most delicious waffles and omelets, and was always so kind and accommodating. Having free breakfast included in our room rate was fabulous.

Thanks for the great stay!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family