“Fantastic business or airport hotel”

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Ranked #8 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 18, 2013

If you're looking for a swanky, full-service resort, this is not your place. But if you're looking for a great business hotel or a place near SNA airport for a night or two, I can't recommend this place enough.

The location is in a complex of office buildings, only a football field to UC-Irvine, a 10 min drive away from the airport, 10 min from Fashion Island, 15 min from the coast of Newport Beach. If you're in Southern California, you have a car, so this is not an issue.

The rooms are very well maintained and have a nice suite set up. The total square footage is not unusually large, but it feels very homey & comfortable. They also have refrigerators with a digital thermostat - a big plus for me.

My only complaint is that there's a $12.95 per day internet charge, but that's certainly not unique to this hotel. I highly recommend this hotel for a 1-2 night stay in the Newport Beach/Irvine area.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying for the "bayview". It's not bad by any means, but not worth e...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CardKirb08

Reviewed November 11, 2013

my two friends and I stayed for one impromptu night. Courtney at the front desk was amazing! she was friendly and professional. our stay would not have been made possible if it weren't for her above-and-beyond attitude. Marriott needs more employees like her. our room had a king bed in a separate room, a queen pullout and a queen murphy bed in the living room. the room had a nice balcony off the living room overlooking the back bay. we were on the 8th floor and didn't hear anyone above us, or next to us. the pool and Jacuzzi were open late which was nice, and there are nice fire pits around the pool area. the bartender seemed overwhelmed in the evening with the amount of people there, but she was still friendly and prompt. there isn't much around the hotel unless you are in the market for a Mercedes Benz, but the freeway is a minute away to get anywhere. for the price we paid, it was a bargain.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Derek S
Reviewed November 9, 2013

have stayed in this hotel multiple times before . like to suite size with hall and bedroom making it comfortable for official visits .
my room did not have a soap when i checked in and i had to wait almost 20 mins for a running sweating service person to give it to me after second call . looks like this hotel likes to really run on lean staff .
otherwise location and everything else was fine .breakfast at 19$ could have had more options in my opinion like pancakes/waffles etc

Room Tip: ask for bayview room at higher leavels
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank shankar v
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your feedback. Marriott has just changed our bathroom amenities to a new great product line. Included in the change is a shower gel. We still offer a bar soap on the vanity for guests. My apologies for the delay in you receiving the additional bar of soap. For the breakfast buffet we do offer waffles and pancakes but we may need to improve our signage. I will; make sure that we implement a better process.

Sincerely, John

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I just stayed two nights at this hotel. I am not much of a "Marriott" type of person. I tend to find them consistent (which I like) but extremely, extremely boring.

They have hotels everywhere in the USA, so it is very convenient for work trips.

Re this hotel:
+ rooms are very spacious and nice. all rooms are suites, with bathtub and shower. the best of the hotel experience.
+good price/quality ratio
+/- location: not sure familiar with the area but it is a weird location, in the middle of office complexes. very close to the airport, which it was convenient for me. rent a car, if not you feel completely stranded.
+/- room service food was average
-no airport shuttle. also, i almost missed my flight. it took 45' MINUTES for the taxi to arrive. reception told me, you only need to tell us 15' minutes in advance. REALLY BAD, although mario and krista (?) at reception were very nice and useful.
-no good way to orient myself in the hotel. no "hotel book" detailing facilities. even room service menu was on the tv. i don't care for bibles (2), but care for hotel book!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Aconcagua2013
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

My sincerer apologies for the taxi service and the room service food. We are working with our taxi companies to have a consistent call time so that our guests are not delayed. Our room service menu has recently been updated and I'm sure that your experience was a onetime event. Our hotel information is located on channel 30 rather than in a directory book. We hope that on your next visit to Newport Beach you will try us again.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I was very impressed with this hotel. The exterior and public areas were well maintained.The views of the bay from the suite are beautiful.The room was nice and very comfortable The room was tastefully decorated. The staff are very professional and courteous. This is also an excellent location,close to SNA,shopping,business areas. It is a short drive to the beaches. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed here just one night and found it to be OK. The rooms are two room suites, which is great. The bayview room we had really did not have much of a bayview after all. The location need the Back Bay is great for running and walking.

The restaurant had a nice breakfast buffet ($19 per person) and room service was satisfactory.

We had some issues checking in as the room we were given was not fully cleaned when we entered for the first time...and the housekeeping staff entered with a master key after we had unpacked, which was a bit unsettling. They offered to move us and gave us a comp fruit tray (I'm a g Gold Elite Marriott cardholder) which was appreciated. So, the hotel gets an A for those efforts.

It is not a destination resort by any means but it is satisfactory for a short stay with a solid location, comfy beds and relatively clean facility. Beware of the $21 per day parking fee.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

I wanted to write back to you regarding your room that was not completely clean. This is unacceptable for you to have been checked into a room that is not perfect. Our housekeeping team takes pride ensuring that every guest has a perfect room. You should have never been checked into this room until it was perfect. I hope that you will give us another chance to show you how Brilliant we can be.

Sincerely, John

Reviewed October 16, 2013

2 Nights stay, king room on 6th floor overlooking bay and pool, great view. This is an all-suites property and I just loved the layout of the room and condition on the entire hotel. Beds were so comfy!

The staff were all SO NICE and so very helpful, made use feel like we were family. Breakfast was included and it was perfect. A great selection of hot and cold foods were offered and presented perfectly.

Pool and gym both looked inviting but didn't use either, clean and all the gear you would need.

No lounge but mini fridge and breakfast made up for all that.

Can't say enough good things about this place, will no doubt be back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple