“Nice leisure stay in a well kept business-traveler focused hotel”

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Nice leisure stay in a well kept business-traveler focused hotel”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

You can tell the hotel mainly caters to business travelers but made for a nice leisure stay. Rate we paid was reasonable for quality/location. Only complaint is that it would have been nice if the pool was slightly larger, but it was still ok size and enjoyable. Room was clean and well maintained. Short 20 minute drive to Disneyland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments. I'm sorry that the pool area was not sufficient for your need. We focus on not only the business traveler but with guests with families. I hope the next time your plans bring you to Orange County you will stay with us again.

Sincerely, John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Korean first
Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Great location. Great service. Clean rooms. Beautiful property. Did I mention the location was amazing?! So close to fashion island. So close to beach. So close to balboa island. So close to pacific coast highway.

• Stayed August 2013
Arlington, VA
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Recently stayed here for business and would return for pleasure. I was given a suite which was very large and overlooked the water. The hotel common grouds are well kept and attractive. The general area is quite upscale with lots of cafes, etc. Pool is small but quite nice. Overall one of the nicest Marriotts I have stayed in. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel look out onto the bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Concord, North Carolina
Reviewed August 1, 2013

There are not a lot of Marriott properties in this area and to qualify myself, I am a Platinum Marriott member. This location is right off of Jamboree and puts you in a very good location to go into LA or down south or to the beach or a quit run to Fashion Island.

OK. I was staying here to spend a night to meet an old friend and his wife. The entrance is grand and the social area and bar are in a strategic location for meeting and greeting.

The outside area with seating and gas fires are great for lounging and catching up. Pretty view and not crowded.

Our room was a one bedroom suite and I was very pleased with the size and the layout. The bathroom was huge and there was plenty of space to host an additional couple if needed.

The only thing that I could have issue with is that the place feels a little dated. But, I feel the same about the New Port Beach Beach View hotel too.

All in all, good value, great location, good service. You will not be disappointed if you have to stay there for any amount of time.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room facing the Bay.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Thanks to the advice of other trip advisor reviews, I booked this hotel.

Pros:
Quiet
All Suite-lots of room, all non-smoking
Right by nature reserve
Great service
free coffee and wifi in lobby
balcony

Cons:
Paid parking and paid internet
smaller pool
Not many restaurants or things to do w/in walking distance
expensive restaurant
awkward 2 door bathroom

Overall good for a business hotel. Very low key and quiet. I would stay here again if I needed to be in this area.

Green Features: Liked that they did not wash sheets and towels every day, appreciated their concern for the environment.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed for two nights the rooms where large with a nice little living room area with a good work space. Rooms are clean with a large bathroom. We had a bay view but not much to look at since it is not much of a bay. There are closer places to the water. But if you have business near by its perfect

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have stayed previously at the Marriott Newport Coast villas timeshare resort and were blown away by the location and the beautiful pools and other amenities. This time we were here for a baseball trip and needed a bit different location. I would say uneven best describes this hotel. There were times the service was amazing. We had breakfast included and the wait staff in the dining room was great. We were always seated promptly and they were constantly there to refill water, drinks, etc. Also I was out by the pool one day (which is very small if that interests you) and I had to go in to find a waiter. But once I did he couldn't have been more helpful. Brought our drinks out immediately, came with our order and didn't complain when others in our party came late and ordered more.
The housekeeping definitely left something to be desired. Our first day I was rubbed the wrong way when we had been out most of the day and returned around 1 pm with the room still not cleaned. That was ok, but while we were changing the do not disturb sign prompted the maid to leave a note saying since our room wasn't available they would clean the next day. Seriously? It was 1:30 pm. I called and they said they would send someone up immediately but for the rest of the stay they were very late getting to our room. We were out every day until mid or late afternoon and would return to a still unclean room. They came around 5 pm when we were all changing. I think they were severely understaffed in that regard.
All in all a good place. Nice location close to many restaurants and to the highway. A beautiful walking/biking path in a nature preserve was right outside of the property and the view of the back bay is lovely. A very good choice for us but they could use a few more employees perhaps to really get the upscale Marriott feel. Also feel they should not charge for parking, which is a lot right in front of the hotel.

Room Tip: The water view is the best but I think you have to pay for it or be a Marriott reward member to get...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
John J, Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Bayview, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel. I will definitely pass your comments on to the restaurant team. Regarding the housekeeping issues and getting your room cleaned during your stay I have discussed this concern with the housekeeping team and rectified the problem for future stays.