“Nice hotel with Little or No Service”

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“Nice hotel with Little or No Service”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I could go one and on about all the small incidents which made me write that as the opening title. From the moment I drove it feels as though the property is run by people who have never been in the hospitality industry and the service is what I would expect at a small inn in the middle of nowhere. Personally I feel there is room to hire more staff to accommodate the guests. There is only self parking yet you have to pay $21 a night for it. There are no bellman. When I drove up to unload, I walked it to the front desk to ask for a cart and a woman had to retrieve one. It was finally delivered a few minutes later as though it had been a nuisance that I had asked.

As I checked in there was a card for Elite Members welcoming you with your choice of a welcome "gift" (beverage and snack) and on the card it says we will bring right up to you. I did not note the name of the blond surfer at the front desk who appeared either not to KNOW the cards existed but seemed bothered that I had filled it out and given it to him. Either way his reception was entirely unwelcoming and needless to say, it never arrived until I requested it (twice) hours later.

As I rolled my cart upstairs, I passed people in the hallways pushing their own carts, commenting on how they thought it was weird they had to do it themselves. Now I have stayed at lower end properties where this is the norm but this hotel is in the same range as two other Marriott's on Newport Circle and Von Karmen where they DO have bellman so this was a surprise to me.

Room Service that night was delivered by a sweet (middle aged) man. I mentioned to him that I had left the welcome card at the front desk (ordering basically what would have been an pre-dinner snack and beverage) and it never came. He apologized, said he would be the one to deliver it and that room service was very busy, he would bring it when he could. After at least another hour, I called back down and it was delivered. Then when I called and asked for extra pillows, the same person delivered that as well. Perhaps if there was more than one person, it would not take as long. (A side note if you are a tourist, in my Marriott profile is a request for extra pillows. I have stayed at the Marriott Laguna Cliffs in Dana Point and when I arrived, the pillows were on my bed with a ribbon around them. So as I may seem picky, it is only because I am comparing this property to other properties of the same brand, in the same vicinity and similar price range. When one does it so well and the other does not do it at all, it is very noticeable.)

In any case my advice to management would be to consider there is an opportunity to hire additional staff AND purchase some new cutlery. Every breakfast I ordered oatmeal and every day it was delivered without a soup spoon even when requested. Management, try eating your oatmeal with a teaspoon then try with a soup spoon. I was actually told by room service there was a shortage of cutlery in the hotel right now and they did not HAVE soup spoons. Really? PS – on the last day it took 55 minutes to get oatmeal and tea. No special order, literally oatmeal and tea so guests preplan an hour in advance of when you want to eat.

I try to say something good about every property I stay at so I will say the hotel is in decent shape, the furniture is acceptable, the beds and linens are great and the view is ok IF you get a bayside view which I did not. For $20 less than the other hotel you get a bigger room that is more like a suite but for tourists travelling to the area …. for approximately $20 more you can stay at the other Newport hotel where people will shower you with attention and you may have a view of the ocean or head to the Laguna property which is like being at a resort. That is just my opinion.

Room Tip: Again a Bayside view would be preferable.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank KoziakProductions

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Korean first
Corona del Mar, California, United States
Reviewed March 26, 2013

our room overlooking the back bay was very nice, clean, modern and featured a separate sitting room area. the staff were very nice, very welcoming and eager to help with all those getting settled issues that come up at arrival.
we had a drink in the bar and the service was wonderful. for breakfast (included) we tried out their famous omelette. i asked for a small omelette with everything. javier didn't miss a beat. he fixed me the best omelette i've ever had, just the right size and perfect with their fresh salsa.
we were on a short stay, but we would recommend this hotel to friends/family any time. and when we need another night away, this place will be on the list.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Margi M
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

Serene is the perfect way to describe this hotel. From the lounge area to the poolside, to the gazebo, and the large suites with panoramic views of the Back Bay, the Newport Marriott Bayview is lovely in every aspect. My only complaint is the added fees for parking and internet. Honestly, they'd be better off just charging more per night than making us feel like every "luxury" has an added fee. Love this place for the beauty, not the value.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Houston, Texas
Reviewed March 6, 2013

This hotel was well maintained and in a very good location. The room I had was a 2-room suite with a large bathroom. It was clean, modern and in excellent condition as was the rest of this property. Although there is no concierge lounge, they do offer a voucher for breakfast in the restaurant. There are not really great views from this hotel. Although we had a "bay view" room, the view was nothing to write home about. I found the customer service excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
Reviewed February 24, 2013

My husband was travelling for work and I tagged along. My husband is a Platinum member for Marriott. We stayed in this hotel for 4 days and 3 nights (2/21/13 to 2/24/13). I had made a reservation for bay-view, King suit for us.
Here are the bullets:
Wrong type room assigned
No one answer the call, unless you go to the reception desk
Accident in the bathroom
Breakfast mess up by the chef

Details:
We reached and the receptionist verified all the info, confirmed the room we had reserved and gave us the key. We reached to the room and to our surprised, they had assigned us a parking lot view (opposite to bayview) room. The girl in the reception DID NOT even bother to tell us while checking in. I called and they said they have no room available that we reserved but a handicap access room. We agreed (coz we have paid extra for the bayview) and moved to a different room.
The next morning I was taking the shower and I slipped in the bathtub (didn't have shower separate) and hit my head from back. after 15 min my husband went to take a shower and he slipped right on his tail bone. (he was lumping the whole day and had to take few Tylenol for pain that day). I called frontdesk, at your service, housekeeping and all the extensions listed but NO ONE picked up. So while on our way out I spoke to the manager and filed the report. He promised to change our room.
That evening we came back and were moved to the room right next door (which was not available till the night before, hard to believe, right?). This room had separate shower and bathtub.
We had breakfast at the breakfast lounge (Its around $36 for 2 people) and you can order your omelette made to order. So i asked the chef for an egg with veggies and cheese (no ham, bacon due to religious belief). While I was eating the omelette I found few chunks of Ham. SERIOUSLY???
Anyways, we have been staying at Marriotts for 6+ yrs now and this by far have been THE WORST.
I travel a lot and will NOT recommend anyone to stay at this property for Customer service atleast!!!

Room Tip: Bayview suits get most sun and location is closer to John Wayne airport. But if you are traveler and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank MMATIYANi
Miami Lakes, Florida
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a great experience during my stay here. Clean and comfortable rooms and awesome food at the hotel restaurant. Staff was excellent, friendly, and willing to help you. No free internet (very expensive, BTW); parking is also charged to your room. Staff is very friendly. Pool area is OK, Hotel has a Starbucks inside the lobby. I recommend.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed February 14, 2013

Had a pleasant 1night stay. Breakfast and over night self-parking were an unexpected $20 each. Staff were friendly. Rooms were clean. it was quiet and the sunset over the bay was beautiful. It was a short trip to Fashion Island for dinner.

• Stayed February 2013