“Birders Delight” 4 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Honolulu
“Birders Delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

Stayed at the Newport Bayview a couple times and have enjoyed the time there. Because of its location away from the main part of Newport Beach there is a peacefulness to the property. I requested, and received, early check-in privileges. This alone is what I considered to be a major selling feature of the hotel. Some specifics:

-Location: hotel overlooks the Upper Newport Backbay. This is a major SoCal wetland area with many bird species either passing through during migration or residing here. I enjoy sitting out and watching the skimmers in the late afternoons. Plus, within walking distance to the trails around the wetlands area. Freeway convenient too.

-Rooms: they are suites with kings in the bedroom and a living room outside

Service: didn't utilize any room service or concierge features. No printed guide, because everything on the TV. Front desk people are quite nice. No complaints.

-Value: got a room with parking and daily breakfast for a good rate.

Overall I'd rate it at four our of five, only because I don't really consider it to be a luxury hotel, but then again, I didn't have to pay luxury hotel prices for a very nice room.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
1 Thank Aimless_Wanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Korean first
Newport Beach
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

I travel with the 'Marriott' chain frequently over the years and am well-acquainted with their brand, and high standard of hospitality. I have come to favor this (particular) locale for its secluded hilltop setting and quieter ambiance, overall. There is a larger more centrally situated Marriott over @ 'Fashion Island', but that property gets more families, more kids and therefore, more noise!!! If you prefer a more refined, adult-setting, I highly recommend trying this Marriott next time you are visiting the area; many times I have come here for a quick 'weekend escape' - staycation! And then at other times, strictly passing thru on business. The welcoming Lobby and picturesque Lounge area, is instantly soothing to the nerves of the 'weary Traveler' or for a cocktail overlooking the sunset, following a long day. There is a resturaunt on premises - not 'great' but nothing to complain about either. Their best offering I have always felt, is the 'Daily Brkfst. Buffet-Bar'; it is always fresh, and nicely presented overall w/ lots of really good selections. The A la Carte' menu is nothing special and pricey. The Desk staff and hotel overall, is friendly and helpful to guests. My special favorite on the entire property, is the Pool-Spa area featuring a (partially covered) swimming pool, which is uplit neon-blue every evening. Swimming after dark suddenly becomes an 'experience' - not just a swim! The lounge area is modern, with comfortable dual-chaises set against lush landscaping. Usually quiet, unless families inflict unmanaged little kids-babies screaming-squealing unbearably upon an otherwise 'peaceful' retreat; when it happens - and it occassionaly will - I just pick up the 'house-phone' and make a noise complaint. Poolside housekeepiing is immaculate which I am finatical about, at all times of the day. This locale is less than 1/4 mile away from John Wayne Airport, and shuttle service is availible thru front desk. I would recommend taking a Taxi in - leaving your car behind. Daily parking rates are expensive here - as they are so at most Marriott properties these days. Make this your OC travel-destination if you want to to rewind and relax, from that long flight!

Room Tip: The higher the floor you request, the better the panaoramic view you'll have of the city lights!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Los Angeles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

My family stayed over the weekend for fun. The King Suite is very nice, clean and seems to be newly renovated. The living room is modern and has the pull-out bed for the kids. The flat-screen TVs are really nice. The kids really loved the pool. I personally really like it because the pool extend from inside (covered) to outside. For someone like me who likes to sit under the shade and watch the kids playing in the pool, it is perfect.
The only complaint I have is when I checked in the hotel around 3:45PM, they told me my room is not ready yet. Did not offer any apology, just a matter of fact. When the check-in time is 3PM, the room should have been ready. And $21 for self-parking is a little bit too high.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank LosAngelesShopgirl
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and toddler for a wedding in early August. Check in fast and efficient with very friendly staff. Our room was a suite - 418 - and was a good size for our daughter to wander around. The bed was quite comfortable and sitting area was reasonably spacious. Bathroom was extensive and very clean. Overall the hotel seemed well maintained. The public areas near reception, dining room, and around the pool were clean and airy. Our rate included the buffet breakfast, had it not, the buffet was quite overpriced as seems typical for just about every hotel. The fitness room was fabulous, a wide range of new machines in a bright, airy facility. Parking for $21/night seemed a bit steep, but unfortunately there's not much choice in the area. The hotel is less than 10 minutes from John Wayne Airport (SNA), there is a lot of plane traffic in the morning beginning about 7 am, but during the night (starting around 10pm) there is none at all , so this proximity does not affect sleep. Convenient access to Newport Beach & Fashion Island area via Jamboree Rd.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

I stayed here for the weekend as a treat during a business trip. The room was very nice, the bed was comfortable, and the staff was excellent. When I called about an internet problem they sent someone to my room immediately to help. The chef at breakfast was excellent, making me a veggie omelet and Mickey Mouse pancake. :) The workout facility was newly remodeled and was state of the art. The pool and hottub area was very nice.

I thought that the hotel would be on the beach but its actually was on a bay that was a bit smelly which was dissappointing. It was about 3-4 miles to the actual beach. They had no shuttle service to the airport or beach.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Valencia, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2011

We chose this resort because of it's location to shopping and dining. It is situated on Newport Bay, three miles from Fashion Island.

The rooms are very well done with a king suite and separate living area with a small refrigerator and coffee station. Our view was of the bay and the pool. Our only complaint about our room was that even though the Marriott is a smoke free facility the man below us smoked on his balcony constantly! I don't know how this can be enforced but when you go to the beach in the summer you certainly want to enjoy the cool, clean ocean breezes coming in off the bay.

About the bay, there is a ten mile walking/riding/running/horse trail around it. At one point west of the hotel there is a nature center that is very well done. They were holding a children's nature class while we were there. A fun place to explore and many wildflowers and birds to be seen.

The local shopping and dining can't be beat. I have stayed at the Marriott Newport Beach Spa just down the street and this is a better value if you have transportation. We visited Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza and many of the shops surrounding the Plaza. We took a trip over to Balboa Island and ate on the peninsula at Mama D's, don't miss it but go early, it gets very crowded. We also enjoyed El Torito Grill.

Being that this was a girl's weekend we laid by the pool and rented movies at night, all very relaxing. The lobby is nice and they have a small convenience shop if you forget anything. I will be returning next week with my husband for three days for another great trip.

As many other reviewers have mentioned, Marriott does not offer any free internet service, I used my phone without any problems to read my email. Additionally, note the parking fee of $18 a day, this can really add some money to your trip. Look for a Marriott special, we had parking, movies and $30 resort credit per day with our Marriott card.

Room Tip: Request a higher floor with a bay view.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank taffykids
Coachella, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2011

We came here along with our children to visit the beaches. We liked the seperate bedroom with its own flat screen tv. The rooms are large and have a small refrigerator, two LCD tv, a seperate shower and tub and there was a microwave by the ice maker. The lobby is big, lots of windows and there are lots of seats to sit and relax. The grounds are kept beautifuly, they actually reminded us of the grounds at the Waikoloa Beach Marriott. The staff was always very courteous and quick to assist us, with directions, local information or bringing extra towels to our room.

A couple of blocks away are many fast food restaurants such as Pizza Hut, Del Taco, Burger King, Starbucks, etc. I didn't see any other type of restaurants nearby, mostly businesses.

What we liked the most was the proximity to places of interest. Driving distance/time to the beaches such as Laguna Beach, Huntington Beach, Balboa Island or Irvine Spectrum were very short, about 10-15 mins. from the hotel.

The cons, no free WiFi and the parking was $18 per day! But overall we loved it here and will always come back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family