“Delicious!”

Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2012

My family of 5 went to Jack Shrimp for lunch on a Saturday at 11:30am. I have been wanting to try this restaurant for 3 years and since there is a groupon, I bought it and came. We ordered Jack Shrimp, cat fish, salmon salad, Creole pasta, and gumbo and shared family style. Everyone liked sharing the 10 big juicy tender Jack Shrimp and dipping the bread in its sauce. The cat fish is not as good as the ones I've had in New Orleans, but it is better than any other cat fish in other Californian restaurants I have tried. The salmon was nicely grilled and the salad was crisp and fresh. Everyone raved over the Creole pasta, and we also enjoyed dipping the bread in this sauce. The gumbo was thick and not as spicy as I like. Overall, Jack Shrimp is excellent and I will be back again.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

On Wednesday evening there was no wait and we had a window table. The restaurant is across from the ocean, but buildings obscure the view.The service was attentive even though our waitress was extremely busy, but the hot crab appetizer was served with our soup and salad.. It was a choice of letting the gumbo or the dip get a bit cold. The gumbo which was very good wasn't very hot so my husband opted to eat it first.

The ambience is not im[pressive, but the spice is.- Hot, Hot Hot.! The Jack Rice was very flavorful although the chicken in the dish was a bit tough and tasteless. The mud pie was very good, but the banana /raspberry creme brullee was grainy and I didn't taste the raspberry.

For the price, I expected better.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Well, we were so excited to get out for a date, no kids!! So, we came here after driving by it a million times. When we walked in the tiny place, we heard jack the owner and greeted us. Well, so far so good. Then a girl asked where we wanted to sit and we said out in the front and she sat us quickly. Again, second person who was good. So, we're fully prepared to have a relaxing night.
But sadly, I must report the opposite. Our waitress was NOT friendly, threw down the menus and asked what we wanted to eat before we even glanced at the menu. The rest of the night she was rushing our food. She brought the app and our two salads at same time!! Then she even said, oh well, you have a lot going on here so I will wait to bring the entrees!!! Wth?????
She was very rude and we decided because of her we would not go back.
The food was decent. Not awesome but not terrible. So, if we had a great server we would have probably had a great review for this place!!
Best part is there is no corkage fee!!!! That helped turn a bad night into a good one just for that! :)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Good quality and tasty - Traditional cajun fare - can request less spicy if you wish. Love their peel and eat boiled shrimp. Very casual.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We used to go to Jack Shrimp more when it had a location in Aliso Viejo, but since they have closed that location, we don't go as often. It had been awhile, and we decided to take advantage of a groupon 40 value for 20, which I thought was great considering there were 3 of us. (daughter is 19) It doesn't matter which evening you go; it seems there is always a wait so make reservations just to be sure.
We ordered the Jack Rice, and it did not disappoint. We would have ordered a glass of wine, but $10 for a glass is a little pricey, so we went with sparkling soda. They took off a few items I liked namely a crab and shrimp salad, and I would have ordered it had it still been on the menu. Otherwise, these people did their best to seat us ASAP, but where we sat was a disappointment and lacked any kind of ambiance because it was in the back. Hated that.