“Relaxing, Luxurious, Awesome!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Kelowna, Canada
“Relaxing, Luxurious, Awesome!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2010

Quite possibly the most relaxing time I have ever spent in a hotel was at the Fairmont Newport Beach! The building is dramatic from an architectural standpoint and is certainly not hard to miss. The hotel offers great amenities, geared more towards the business traveller than the leisure one. The fantastic fitness facility is open 24/7 and there are two lighted tennis courts available to guests as well.
The guest rooms, while not the most luxurious I've ever seen, were quite possibly the most comfortable. It felt like home. I stayed in a one bedroom suite. There was a 32" flatscreen in both the bedroom and living room, the living room had a fantastic ergonomic work station with desk and oversize chair and the decor was great - fun colors that fit with the Southern California location of the hotel. And now for the bed.... wow!! I slept so well at the Fairmont Newport Beach I never wanted to go home. 330 thread count Egyptian cotton linens, Simmons Pillow Top Mattress and a 100% Goose Down Duvet equals unrivaled comfort! There was even an in-room laptop safe (like I said, perfect for the business traveller).
I found the staff, most especially the concierge, to be extremely friendly and proud of their city. Everyone pointed me in the direction of their personal favorite Newport Beach hot-spot and I found their recommendations to be excellent. The housekeeping team was excellent - they didn't miss a beat!
My one major issue with the Fairmont Newport Beach is that nothing of interest is in walking distance. The hotel seems to be designed mainly for business travellers and as a result is dead in the middle of the business district. However, the hotel has remedied this situation by providing a daily courtesy shuttle service to and from John Wayne Airport, Fashion Island, South Coast Plaza, The District and Balboa Island. This is truly a lovely touch!
The business centre is fantastic and really impressed me! (haha who would have thought I could be impressed with a business center). There are three (huge!) private offices with fax machines, color printers, black and white printers, color fax machines, black and white fax machines, internet access, and even secretarial services available upon request. And, it is open 24 hours a day!
In-Room Dining was excellent - friendly staff, great food, however the restaurant leaves a lot to be desired...good atmosphere but a chilly dining room service team (almost to the point of rude), and sub-par food.
The Fairmont Newport Beach is the ideal place for the Southern California Business traveller, but consider it if you are a leisure traveller as well. While it may not be in the center of the touristy part of Newport Beach, it provides easy access to get there and is really a comfortable, friendly, home away from home! 9.5/10 overall in my books!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Korean first
Vancouver BC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel during a short business/leisure trip to Laguna Hills.
We were more than pleased to be able to stay at a hotel managed by the Fairmont Group until we arrived there. Upon arrival we discovered that there was only valet parking for our rental car and that this cost $28.00 per night! We would not have minded had the valets had to work for their money-but all they did is take our car and drive it into the hotel's car park a few feet away. Something I would gladly have done but was told by the front desk that it was not possible.
We were not pleased with our room either. It was in bad need of an update. The furnishings were drab, the colours not well coordinated and the TV out of date.
In the mornings, they offer free tea and coffee to guests at the front desk. However, the one morning I tried to use the service, the coffee had run out. I was sent to the restaurant for a cup of free coffee. When I arrived there, I was told that they could not give me free coffee-I had to go back to the front desk! I just gave up!
The swimming pool is beautiful but they advertise that it opens at 6.0a.m. I was there only to find that the security had not yet opened it-they arrived at 6.15a.m. after I made the call to the front desk.
The service levels in the hotel are not there. But be prepared to pay high prices for everything ranging from room service, to room videos to food.
All in all I never mind paying for top quality service and atmosphere. But this hotel is just not worth it!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank Colin3160
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2010

The hotel is quite nice, and my room was not only large, but it was also extremely comfortable. The bed was extremely fluffy and offered a respite after a long day at a conference; the bathroom was also very roomy. While not located on the water, the hotel was across the street from the airport and offered easy access to the 405. Despite the proximity to the airport, I did not notice any significant airplane noise. The hotel restaurant was also very good. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The only complaint I can register is the mandatory valet parking -- not an indulgence I typically select with a rental car.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2010

There were four of us travelling together and all four of us were upgraded to jnr suites which was great. Service was fabulous.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

My fiance and I went on a search to find the best hotel for our wedding guests to stay and after visiting every hotel within a 8 mile radius of the airport, we visited the fairmont and it was hands down the best. Emily gave us a tour of the grounds and the hotel was simply beautiful. The manager upgraded us to a suite at no extra charge and if you are considering it, it is well worth it... separate shower and soaking tub, huge patio and the comfiest beds around. Yes, parking is expensive, but for what you are getting at the hotel, it is worth the extra money. Honestly, we could not have been more pleased with the service or the hotel in general.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carlritz
Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2010

We have stayed there several times, and are returning this December for a 3 week stay, while we visit family and friends in Orange county. They give great value for the price of the rooms--and we really like the Executive Suites that have a powder room bath in addition to the main bath--which has BOTH a soaker tub and a large step-in shower!
We didn't find out until our last stay that we could request a small extra fridge and place settings of their room service china & flatware--that REALLY came in handy for our extended stay...and it would have been nice to know about previously--it was only because of a very perceptive bellman that we found out this time!! ALL THEIR EMPLOYEES ARE THE BEST--THEY GO THE EXTRA MILE FOR THEIR GUESTS!!
Now, my only concern is that we be put on a higher floor with a view...somehow we always seem to end up on the 4th or 5th floor--which looks out over the roof of the parking garage.......VERY boring for an extended stay. My other concern is that, supposedly, we can't get the $50.00 Resort Credit with this type of room--even though we DID get it last April--why the change??? Mary & Jack Reed, Bonita Springs, FL

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
ReiStrand, Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, October 21, 2010
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Reed- Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you appreciate our colleagues. We take pride in our work and strive to provide exceptional service for all our guests. I have made a note on your reservation that you prefer a higher floor and look forward to welcoming you back in December.

Warm Regards,
Rei Strand
Public Relations
Fresno, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

This is suppose to be a high end hotel, I decided to upgrade to a Junior Suite for my wife's birthday. All seemed fine until I went out to the patio & found the area full of spider webs and one big (I mean really big) spider hanging from the balcony above hovering over the table on the patio.. I put the big boy to rest an wrote it off as an understandable problem.
We went out that evening and wanted to pick up something sweet for later that evening, we bought two small cartons of ice cream to take to the room, one for then & one for later. I was surprised to find that the in room fridge was not cold, or stocked as a mini bar as advertised. I went down the hall to get some ice hoping that it would keep the small container of ice cream for at least a few hours... the ice machine on my floor was broken. I met another guest at the ice machine & she told me that her fridge did not work either... something about the hotel upgrading. It would have been nice to have been told about this before I upgraded. I had also requested a room close to the elevator due to some personal mobility limitations, I guess that when I upgraded they neglected to tell me that the room was as far as possible from the elevator (in retrospect I should have asked). The Valet is a joke, the cars get parked 6-10 feet away from where you drop it off, there is no self-parking, if your going in and out several times a day the tipping gets expensive on top of the fee for parking. You also have to pay for internet (you would think it's included with a suite). I did not complain about any of the situations, I decided not to cause any stress on my wife on a weekend that was suppose to be relaxing for her. I know that if I had demanded satisfaction & did not receive a solution fireworks would have followed.

All & all I will never stay there again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple