“A modest 4 star hotel”

Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
“A modest 4 star hotel”
Reviewed March 26, 2014

The hotel ground and pool were OK. We were expecting more from the Fairmont. We faced a problem with a loud AC in the unit . Other than that everything was good.
The rooms were clean and the bed were comfortable.

Good place to stay and relax

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Abdullah A
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback on your recent stay. We are pleased to be you enjoyed your time with us. The staff will be thrilled to hear it and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
  • Korean first
Palm Desert, California
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My husband and I spent one night at the Fairmont. We used a third party reservation service and got the room at a big discount. I knew that there was a chance that the parking was not free, but I did not expect the fee of $30.00 for the night. There is no alternative parking. Our room was a bit tired. The décor was lovely but the carpet is getting worn, one cabinet had a gouge in it, the curtains had a few snags and one of the marble look table tops was stained. The room was very clean. The service by the valet and the front desk was excellent. We could see and hear the planes taking off from John Wayne Airport but it was not a problem for us. The hotel is 2-3 miles from the ocean.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. While we welcome all guest feedback, we are particularly pleased to hear from such a seasoned traveler as yourself. It sounds like overall you enjoyed your stay with us, but did experience a couple of challenges as well. I apologize for the condition of your room. There is no excuse for the condition of some of the furnishings in your room, so for that I am sorry. In terms of parking, i can understand your frustrations with the lack of parking options available, but am happy to hear you found their service prompt and competent. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Fairmont Newport Beach is just OK. Arrived 4 days before business meetings. Asked for a room with a view. Room 455 does have a view and it is the roof. Disappointed!! Had breakfast room service first two days and was 5 stars. 3rd day had time and went to the Bambu Lounge for breakfast....ordered the steel oatmeal and so not what I expected....oatmeal was lukewarm...sent it back and returned lukewarm. Rooms were clean and maid service was 5 Stars. Health club was clean and faced the pool. Have stayed at Fairmont Hotels....would not stay at this Fairmont again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Guest feedback is essential to our improvement not only as a hotel, but also a service, so we appreciate yours. It sounds like your stay was mostly positive you did experience some challenges. I'm sorry we were unable to accommodate your request for a room with a view. We try our best to accommodate these requests but unfortunately aren't always able to. I apologize for the temperature of your oatmeal. There is certainly no excuse for that and I can imagine the frustration it caused, particularly the second time. I am pleased to hear you found the rooms clean and the housekeeping service top notch. Hopefully you would be willing to return and all us to give you the experience you deserve. Thanks again.
California
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for the Surf City Half Marathon. I want to give the hotel great reviews for the location and convenience for things like restaurants and shopping that I liked in the area. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I have no complaints. However, when it came to race day, it wasn't so great. The shuttle to the race was fine, but going back was a mess. The shuttle took so long that I ended up having to walk about a mile to a shuttle for local parking lots and get a ride with a friend of mine. Every other person I spoke with waited in the freezing cold forever to get a ride back. That was unfortunate. The hotel itself is great, but not necessarily for a race weekend.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. We welcome all guest feedback and definitely appreciate yours. I'm pleased to hear you found the staff friendly and accommodating. We pride ourselves on our service and feel it can separate a good stay from a great one. I'm sorry to hear of the delays you and some of the other racers experienced with the marathon shuttle. I will definitely forward your feedback to the team and we will work to correct the situation. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed March 24, 2014

Traveling is a key component in my business. Staying at the Fairmont is quite the treat and normally always an upscale experience. Flying into Orange County, I was thrilled to see that a Fairmont was minutes away from the airport and decided to book my stay. Walking into my booked suite, I was saddened to see the lack of Fairmont luster within this room. The room smelled, the door wouldn’t open, the air conditioner didn’t work, and the furniture was run down and chipped like a week old manicure. The only thing “suite” about this room was the fact that I was walking out. Maybe the staff at Fairmont thought I was delusional, but their version of a “pool view” is standing on a stool in the balcony while looking around the corner, while you enjoy the sounds of the expressway. They should rename this hotel the FairPort Inn. Hence I say never again for me, or that of you!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Stevie B
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at the hotel. Candid guest feedback is critical to our improvement as a hotel, so we appreciate yours. I'm very sorry to hear of the negative experience you had with us. There is certainly no excuse for the condition of your room so for that I apologize. I would like to get some additional information about your specific experience. If you would be willing to email me at: lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your feedback and I anxiously await your response.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I enjoyed my stay here, overall...Very pleasant, fresh breakfast options that set you up for a whole day of beach travel or business. In this vein, I would add that this is what this hotel is ideal for...it's well-located, and serves as a friendly and comforting home base in Orange County. One should not expect ocean views etc...this is a business hotel, or a great stay option for tourists who want the Fairmont touches, but recognize that they won't be in the hotel all day...they want to get out on the freeway, and out to their destinations. If you go in with this, the nice touches and services of the hotel will exceed expectations
I will add that I found the valet department very hard-working and effective. Naturally, nobody enjoys paying the 30.00 per day, but this is standard operating cost for hotels of this nature, and/or in cities...It's worth recognizing that without valet service the hotel entrance would be a log-jam...with cars inexplicably parked or dropping in...On my visit, we came and went from the hotel in a very expedient and friendly manner

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. It sounds like you enjoyed yourself and found the staff friendly and helpful. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and that it set the tone for long days worth of sightseeing. As you mentioned we are very centrally located with easy access to both the airport and many of Orange County's most desirable tourist destinations. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Tyler Maxwell (the manager),really impressed me with how fast he resolved the issue with my room. He went out of his way to make my first stay at this hotel as amazing a possible. He upgraded me to a suite that had a balcony and pool view. Also I can't say enough great things about the staff.My bellman Andy was very helpful and polite. He made sure that I had everything that I needed and even filled my ice for me. I have stayed at almost every hotel in this area, and have found my new favorite one. I will be coming back for sure.

• Stayed March 2014