“Great Place to stay overall”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Great Place to stay overall”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

I stayed at this Fairmont earlier in the year. I was very pleased with the service, from the check in, valet, room, location, value and even the restaurant. The food is excellent. I went back a second time to see if I got lucky. I was pleasantly surprised. And it has been that way on every visit. This is a hotel that I would stay at for business or pleasure. I especially love the fact that when I pull into the driveway to check in, they hand me my room key and I give them my car key. What a great service!

Room Tip: I have honestly never had a bad room in this hotel on any floor.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your most recent stay with us and for being such a loyal guest! We are thrilled to hear you always enjoy your time with us and find the service excellent. I look forward to sharing your kind words with the staff as I know they'll be thrilled to hear it. Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your next visit.
lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
Norfolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

This was the first time we have stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach and we were not disappointed. Although the room may look a little tired, it was clean with all the facilities we needed. All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. Although the charge of $30 per day for valet parking I thought was expensive, our car was always delivered in a timely manner. We also made use of the regular shuttles to the Malls on our visit which were very handy. The pool area looked good however I did not use it due to the weather. I did use the gym 3 times and although the machinery is of good quality, the temperature of the gym is far too high for having a comfortable work out. All in all I would definately stay at this hotel again next time I get back to Newport Beach.

1 Thank s_gibson66
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I'm pleased to hear we lived up to your expectations and look forward to a return. We pride ourselves on our service, so it's nice to hear that yours was excellent. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the workout facility and found the lovely, even if it was too use. I will definitely pass on your comments about the temperature of the workout facility. Thanks again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Fairmont Newport Beach.
Chino Hills, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Attended a fundraiser hosted by Alpha Phi UCI on behalf of the American Heart Association. The venue was very good. The valet parking was ten dollars which was disappointing, but the valet staff was friendly.

A large outside tent housed the auction items, and the ballroom for dinner was beautiful. There was plenty of room for the 400 plus group. The food included chicken, mashed potatoes, and carrots. The meal was very good, and the staff worked hard to make sure everyone had what they needed.

We also ventured to the bar and restaurant of the Fairmont. The restaurant had a nice setting, and the tables near and around the bar were very nice. Each staff member we came in contact with was very professional and helpful. I would consider having one of our conventions here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience at the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed the fundraiser. We are very proud of our banquet space and staff and think they are the best staff in Orange County. I'm pleased to hear you found the food delicious and the service hardworking. Thanks again for your kind words and please let me know if I can ever be of further assistance.
Mcgaheysville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

we have stayed at the FAIRMONT two years in a row to run the SURF CITY MARATHON. they have shuttle service from John Wayne Airport, to Fashion Island, and to Balboa Island. the drivers have remembered us from both trips so it is like getting rides with friends. nice pool, spa, and clean, comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: get a higher floor so you watch the planes taking off.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. The staff will be thrilled to hear it. I'm happy you felt the hotel was perfect for your needs and that the staff remembers you from previous visits. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here recently for a work related trip.

This hotel appeared to me as a typical, aged corporate hotel. Nothing special about it.
My room was non-smoking, but, the bathroom somehow smelled like cigarets, and one of my colleagues said the same was true of their room.

There was no self parking, and valet parking was $20 per day.

Please be aware that they charged $300 as a deposit for incidentals!
I inquired about this charge at checkout. The front office staff said "Oh, it's pretty normal." and other staff standing next to him giggled. How rude!
This is a prime example why I choose to stay at privately owned smaller hotels for my private trips. That way I don't have to deal with a lot of snobbish people!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PTRABBIT
Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. I regret to hear that your experience was a mediocre one and that we were unable to provide excellent service. I apologize for the smell in your bathroom as there is no excuse for the smell of smoke in a non-smoking room. Most troubling however, is your experience with the front desk staff. I sincerely apologize for that interaction and can assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide. I thank you again for your feedback and will definitely share it with the hotel staff.
San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I am a member of Fairmont Presidential club and stayed in many other Fairmont locations, like Hawaii, Scottsdale etc…and I was looking forward staying in Fairmont Newport beach as well. However, I was very disappointed. We stayed here during February 2014 and here are the key points of bad experience.

1. Very rude staff service, especially in the bar/lounge
2. BMW shuttle service they offer is a joke. I called for a shuttle to get a ride to near restaurant (2miles from the hotel), they said to call back. I did, 3 times. Then they finally told me to go downstairs to wait for the shuttle. He never showed up (they said he got stuck in traffic ). So, we waited another 20 min downstairs for the shuttle and ended up taking our car from valet after all (which took another 20 min)
3. Valet is $20 billed to your room and there is no other way to park (they don’t have self-parking)
4. Spa only has steam room and no sauna. Woman’s steam room was broken (over a month already)
5. Pool is very small (not what you see on their website)
6. Restaurant is super expensive with slow service

1 Thank 710DanielK
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Candid guest feedback is critical to our improvement as a hotel, so we definitely value yours. I am very sorry to hear of the numerous issues you experienced during your stay. This was certainly not indicative of the level or service we strive to provide our guests. I would like to put you in touch with the hotel manager so that he might address some of your concerns directly. If you could email me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your feedback and I anxiously await your response.
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

I am a frequent guest at the Fairmont Hotel in Newport Beach for many years now.
I need to say, on my recent stay Daniel at the front desk gave me an excellent service.
This is how Hotels should operate.
I highly appreciate.
Thank you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and for being such a loyal guest! We are thrilled to hear you always enjoy your stays with us and that Daniel was able to turn a moment into a memory for you. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.