“running the surf city marathon”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed March 1, 2014

we have stayed at the FAIRMONT two years in a row to run the SURF CITY MARATHON. they have shuttle service from John Wayne Airport, to Fashion Island, and to Balboa Island. the drivers have remembered us from both trips so it is like getting rides with friends. nice pool, spa, and clean, comfortable rooms.

Room Tip: get a higher floor so you watch the planes taking off.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. The staff will be thrilled to hear it. I'm happy you felt the hotel was perfect for your needs and that the staff remembers you from previous visits. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Lucas Schumacher

Write a ReviewReviews (1,571)

Reviewed March 1, 2014

I stayed here recently for a work related trip.

This hotel appeared to me as a typical, aged corporate hotel. Nothing special about it.
My room was non-smoking, but, the bathroom somehow smelled like cigarets, and one of my colleagues said the same was true of their room.

There was no self parking, and valet parking was $20 per day.

Please be aware that they charged $300 as a deposit for incidentals!
I inquired about this charge at checkout. The front office staff said "Oh, it's pretty normal." and other staff standing next to him giggled. How rude!
This is a prime example why I choose to stay at privately owned smaller hotels for my private trips. That way I don't have to deal with a lot of snobbish people!!

1  Thank PTRABBIT

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay with us. I regret to hear that your experience was a mediocre one and that we were unable to provide excellent service. I apologize for the smell in your bathroom as there is no excuse for the smell of smoke in a non-smoking room. Most troubling however, is your experience with the front desk staff. I sincerely apologize for that interaction and can assure you that this is not indicative of the level of service we strive to provide. I thank you again for your feedback and will definitely share it with the hotel staff.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I am a member of Fairmont Presidential club and stayed in many other Fairmont locations, like Hawaii, Scottsdale etc…and I was looking forward staying in Fairmont Newport beach as well. However, I was very disappointed. We stayed here during February 2014 and here are the key points of bad experience.

1. Very rude staff service, especially in the bar/lounge
2. BMW shuttle service they offer is a joke. I called for a shuttle to get a ride to near restaurant (2miles from the hotel), they said to call back. I did, 3 times. Then they finally told me to go downstairs to wait for the shuttle. He never showed up (they said he got stuck in traffic ). So, we waited another 20 min downstairs for the shuttle and ended up taking our car from valet after all (which took another 20 min)
3. Valet is $20 billed to your room and there is no other way to park (they don’t have self-parking)
4. Spa only has steam room and no sauna. Woman’s steam room was broken (over a month already)
5. Pool is very small (not what you see on their website)
6. Restaurant is super expensive with slow service

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank 710DanielK

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. Candid guest feedback is critical to our improvement as a hotel, so we definitely value yours. I am very sorry to hear of the numerous issues you experienced during your stay. This was certainly not indicative of the level or service we strive to provide our guests. I would like to put you in touch with the hotel manager so that he might address some of your concerns directly. If you could email me at lucas.schumacher@fairmont.com I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again for your feedback and I anxiously await your response.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

I am a frequent guest at the Fairmont Hotel in Newport Beach for many years now.
I need to say, on my recent stay Daniel at the front desk gave me an excellent service.
This is how Hotels should operate.
I highly appreciate.
Thank you.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and for being such a loyal guest! We are thrilled to hear you always enjoy your stays with us and that Daniel was able to turn a moment into a memory for you. Thanks again and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed February 27, 2014

I recently stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach. The service was extraordinary! Everyone I came in contact with was more than polite and happy to help. The room was clean and comfy. The pool area was beautiful with cabanas to use if needed. I was in Newport beach for training, but I would stay here again for a family trip. Highly recommend this hotel!!!!

Room Tip: Choose the 10th floor pool view, very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your time with us and found our service extraordinary. We pride ourselves on our service, so it's great to hear you appreciated it! I'm also pleased to hear you enjoyed our pool area as we feel it is one of the best in the area. Thanks again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed February 26, 2014

The food here is a bit costly but that is to be expected in a nice hotel in this city. The rooms have very nice amenities including wifi access, dvd players, fine toiletries, and more. The Bambu lounge and restaurant offer a delicious variety of food, including a $24 breakfast buffet that includes salmon and parfaits. We stayed here so we could be close to the Hornblower cruises.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. While we welcome all guest feedback, we are particularly appreciative to hear from such seasoned travelers as yourself. I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the hotel and found the variety of culinary offerings to your liking. We feel very fortunate to be so centrally located with easy access to all that Orange County has to offer. Thank you again for your kind words and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I enjoyed my stay at the Fairmont and was frankly surprised by some of the reviews. No it isn't the Four Seasons but then again you are not paying Four Seasons prices. The room was roomy and clean. The bed was comfortable with great linens. The location was perfect. The pool and spa were both above average. I also had room service one night and it was prompt, friendly and good. The lobby area and bar are also quite nice . All in all I would definitely return.

One suggestion as others have said - the $18 a day for mandatory (no self parking) valet is excessive. Tack on a $5 tip each time and it is a big negative. Make the parking free or much less!!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andrew_branham
FairmontNewportBeach, Online Marketing Manager at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed yourself while on property and that the hotel exceeded your expectations. I'm pleased to hear your room was well-appointed and found the location perfect. I can understand your frustration with our valet parking. We are constantly reviewing our procedures and will certainly take your feedback into consideration. Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.