“Comfy and friendly”

Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
anchorage alaska
“Comfy and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I won this hotel on Hotwire and after reading the reviews was very VERY nervous to stay here but I found my concerns unwarranted. Staff was beyond friendly and accommodating. Yes you pay for Valet but I stayed at two other hotels during my long stay in Newport and all required me to pay for parking and with the weekend valet rate at Fairmont, Fairmont was CHEAPER and far more convenient than the others I had to self park at. I never waited more than 5 mins even if I didn't call down.

Got to do an early checkin, pool was a pleasant temp (though hot tub way too hot!) and always found a spot poolside. Beds were so comfortable and bathroom a good size. Not super luxurious but any questions or issues I had were quickly addressed. Compared to the other two places (Hyatt Newport and Doubletree), I felt taken care of and pampered. Location is maybe 10 mins to beach. Never had issues hearing airplanes despite it being close to the airport.

I would recommend and stay again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Korean first
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently stayed at the Newport Beach Fairmont for business. Right off the bat--its not up to par with the other Fairmont collection of hotels but it still is very nice.
The common grounds, namely the lobby and pool area, are very well kept and upscale, but the rooms could definitely use a little TLC. The beds, by a mile, were the best part of my stay. I was quite exhausted from my travels and the bed was very welcoming!
I ate dinner in the lounge, which was a bit noisy and crowded, but the meal was quite delicious. The breakfast was equally tasty, but the service was better since there were more servers on hand.
I would recommend becoming a member of the presidents club, their loyalty program, because it will allow you free internet, a discount on parking and the option to upgrade for a much smaller fee.
Even though it may not be one of their premier properties, it is still a very pleasant hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

One thing I can say they do have a nice pool area. The rooms are ok. They need to remodel the rooms. Service is good, staff are friendly. The hotel itself such as the lobby and restaurants are modern, the room that we stayed at needed new carpet, it was filthy.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Jokr151
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've stayed at the Fairmont Newport Beach on business many times (we get a preferential nightly rate). Famed for their beds (which they actually sell, apparently), you will always get a comfortable night's sleep. The walls can be a little thin sometimes - and if you end up next to a guests (often family with kids) who are in and out a lot; the doors are a little 'noisy' when they bang shut.

Rooms are decent size - bathrooms are also. Great shower and soft towels. You get all the usual amenities you'd expect. Wifi is not free, but if you register (for free) for the President's club, you can then get it complimentary. It's fast and you can use multiple devices - although you do have to re-enter the details every 24 hours. Fine for free, though!

Breakfast buffet is pretty awesome - the granola is the best I've ever had. Freshly made, lots of cashews, macadamias, etc. Tasty with a cup of fresh fruit and a yoghurt. The full buffet (gotta have the crispy applewood bacon!) is about $24 with the continental at $19. A little pricey, but for the hotel it's to be expected. Drinks at the bar are also expensive if you're paying out of your own wallet. $7 for a bottle of Evian in the room is crazy. There's a little store near the lifts that sells snacky stuff, which is more reasonable. Food is very tasty (except the vegetarian cannelloni - boring), and quite reasonable. The sliders appetiser is a meal in itself.

A couple of things I'm not happy about: the mandatory valet of $28 a night. They are often very efficient at getting the cars, but you hit the front when there's a conference fall out or between 8 and 9am and it can be a real pain - 20min wait sometimes, so make sure you call down from your room. The other thing is the laundry. $4 to wash a pair of socks, $5 for underwear and $10+ for a shirt/t-shirt - a week's wash spirals into $120, $140, etc. quite easily. They send out and the company does a fine job - but then I'd expect them to come back like new. I stomach those because it's billed as business expenses... if it was my own money, it would irk me enough to reconsider very quickly. I guess for this 'caliber' of hotel and the area, you could say it comes with the territory.

All the staff are lovely, very helpful. Always polite and even the house maids smile and say hello. They will always do whatever they can to help you. There's a Hertz desk as well, which is handy if you need a car. Can be tricky to get the guy though, sometimes. I was once told to make an appointment.

Don't often get time to use the recreational side: the gym looks out on the pool area. Not a massive gym, but I haven't seen it that busy. The pool was warm, the hot tub was hotter, but the jets were a let down. Not much power in them.

Location wise, it's nowhere near much, walking-wise. John Wayne (Santa Ana) airport is right across the road, which is very convenient. There's a Benihana sushi/hibachi place a short walk across the road, and a sports bar too. Both great when you want that sort of thing. Everything else is a drive. Newport, Fashion Island, about 20mins away. Plenty of places to eat and drink around there. It's a great hub for visiting places.

All in all, a very good hotel, if a little expensive on some areas. They'll do a great job taking care of you, and I know I'll be back often. If you're not paying - it's wonderful.

Room Tip: Upgrades are easier to get the more often you stay. Executive suites are usually corner rooms with b...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank DeveloperDan
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

A lot of what I'll say echos what others have already said but this place should be much better than it is.
Pros:
The location isn't great (close to airport) but you are still close to PCH and the Newport Pier and it's easy access from both freeways.
The Pool area is nice and spacious. They have nice covered gazebos that are free for anyone to use which is nice. But the TVs in them don't work.
Nice and big lobby and hotel bar. Good place to have a drink and meet people.
Access to tennis courts and basketball hoop free of charge. Courts are in good shape.
Hotel is pet friendly. We didn't bring our dogs but spoke with dog owners who had theirs and were satisfied.
Price was right. We went over a holiday weekend and this hotel was by far the cheapest of any of them in the Newport/Laguna area.

Con
You get what you pay for I guess. My biggest complaint is with the lack of service. We tried to reach the concierge on many occasions and never were able too. Getting a drink or food at the pool is damn near impossible. There is only 1 bartender at a time which means a 10 min wait to get a beer or a drink.
The pool area was not cleaned often. There were no towels available and there were a lot of empty drinks and food containers laying everywhere long after the guests had left the area.
Nice hotel that nickles and dimes you. It isn't the only hotel to do this at all but I hate it when supposed nice hotels do this. There it's $28 for Valet (no self-park option) and another $17/day if you want internet.
Room was nice but noisy. Bed was fine but our room (7th floor) was noisy mainly from drain pipes and air vent noise.

All and all we probably won't return to this Fairmont. But as I said, you get what you pay for in that area of California.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ben L
Yellowknife, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

As member of Fairmont I'm fairly disappointed in this hotel.

The rooms are clean and tidy, so you will have no problem getting an okay room similar to a Hilton.

They have a fake President's Club line when you check in, which is like I said fake, they don't use it or didn't even care I was in it so I moved over into the real line and finally someone said hi. Terrible.

I was given a room only to find out someone had been smoking in it the night before. I called to make sure I wasn't in a smoking room which I was not so I had to be moved.

Ordered breakfast the next morning. I was told after deciding from their menu that they were out of that item. That shouldn't ever happen. You know the demand. Terrible.

On the last night, I was told I couldn't have a sleeper bed because of fire code reasons but then they didn't offer any extra pillows or blankets and none are in the room except one blanket. No thought on why I was actually asking for a sleeper bed. Keep in mind this was a doctor friend of mine visiting last minute and running on 2 hours of sleep for a few days and we were just trying to make him comfortable. I don't push people nor am I rude in anyway shape or form but the Fairmont messed up here.

Why would anyone come back after this experience? Oh wait, probably because you book up the hotel each night however this negatively effects your brand. If I "owned" or "managed" one of the other Fairmont locations I'd be pissed you were screwing it up for me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank jj j
Henderson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Buyer beware! I booked my room through Priceline.com. I thought, at the time that I got a good deal but I was not advised that the only parking was valet and that the charge would be $28/ night. They asked for my credit card upon check-in and the receipt was placed under my door in the middle of the night! The room was adequate at best. The beds (two of them even thought I requested one king) were uncomfortable and I didn't sleep well on them. When we arrived there was a bottle of Avian in the room. We were thirsty and appreciated the little courtesy. When I arrived home I found that they had charge me another $7.00 for it! OURAGEOUS!

Room Tip: Be aware that this hotel will charge for anything and everything!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple