“There are better hotels in Newport!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Duke Hotel Newport Beach

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Fresno, California
“There are better hotels in Newport!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I have stayed at many Fairmont properties. This one is by far the worst I have ever stayed. Upon arrival I was given a room on the first floor. After unpacking, I was greeted by a cockroach larger than my thumb! I stepped on it as scurried towards the door. Went to the front desk and asked for a room on a higher floor. I moved to the 10th floor. The room was dirty. Stained carpets and furniture. The toilet flushing mechanism did not work. At 2:30 in the morning the heating quit working. I was tired and wanted this trip to end. I wrapped up in the two bathrobes, went back to sleep and checked out in the morning. Upon check-out, I noticed a large billing error overcharging me. I mentioned the error and all my problems to the lady at the front desk. She corrected the billing error, but said nothing my other problems. This hotel is off my travel list.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank LanceH_BizTravler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Phoenix
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

We have stayed at the Grand California and other disney properties, but over the holidays they simply are not worth $400+ per night. Found this place and the staff, room and service were excellent and it took about 12 minutes to get to Disneyland, day or night. Had room service a couple of times and it was excellent as was the Rack of Lamb in the lounge/restaurant. Restaurant was being remodeled, but should be completed by now or within the first couple of weeks of January.

1 Thank Tom M
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Near Airport, no noise whatsoever, this is in a business park. 5 minute drive to downtown newport/fashion island/balboa. Friendly and fast valet (i paid $0 for my Prius, a cool perk Fairmont offers), friendly front desk. Kamal checked me in at 1:30pm, nice guy w/ a large hospitality background I enjoyed his chat. Breezy C/I. We had a nasty yet small green stain on our sheet (no biggie, just told the front desk) and Ally at the desk, a supervisor, sent it to be changed and sent us a sweet fruit amenity to apologize. I used to work for Starwood and let me say, when an employee sends a small gesture like that, it goes a long way and she displayed what a hospitality professional she is. Nice room, yes as some say a bit "dated" but its an older style sense of luxury. Nice bathrooms. I had a delightful time and will return when in OC/Newport. Thought the Westin beds were the best, but damn, their bed here and pillows were the best hotel bed I'v experienced so far....Negatives? not many really. the stain, whatever, stuff happens. the orange love seat needs to go haha I'll give other reviewers that, but no real complains. Great property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Fairmont Newport Beach after having stayed 3 nights at the Fairmont Miramar. I am a Fairmont President's Club member so wanted to stay at Fairmont but was worried about the Newport Beach one based on previous reviews. I have to stay that I was pleasantly surprised. I actually wish I had booked all 5 nights at the Newport Beach one. We had a one bedroom suite at a very good rate. Hotel is just 3 minutes from John Wayne Airport and while you can hear the airplanes during the day, it is not noisy to the point that you can't sleep at night. Room was dated but comfortable. Only drawback was that the outer darker and thicker curtains did not cover all of the window so light would come in early in the morning. The hotel is also close to the highway junctions so great base to get around the area (Anaheim, Newport Beach, South Coast). They have a shuttle to Fashion Island and South Coast Plaza and to Balboa Island that you can use but we had a car so did not need it. Price of in-room dining is on the pricy side but it is Fairmont after all so you pay more for food there. There is a strip mall across the street and a Starbucks a block away but it is not walk-friendly because the street is so wide so you are better off taking your car.

The pool was under renovation but it was cold anyway so I would not have used it.
I would definitely book again at this location as it is good value for your money. You could get away with not renting a car if all you want is go to Disneyland and nearby shopping malls and Balboa Island as they have a special package to Disneyland that includes a shuttle ride to and from.

Room Tip: Rooms ending with 31 on the floors that have a vending machine could be noisy when vending machine i...
las vegas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

Some of the reviews of this Fairmont were a little tough I believe after staying there myself. Check-in was very quite and the front desk associate was very personable and professional. The lobby itself was very elegant and nicer than I expected.
I was on the 3rd floor with a King room. The furnishings were very large and you could tell were quite costly and more lavish than your typical hotel. Yes, as some people have photographed, some pieces were dinged up a bit here and there, but that was no big deal to me. I thought the room was lovely and higher end than most properties. I would happily stay here again.
Ordered room service and received a lovely breakfast for my son and I. Just a tip...I ordered off of the kids menu..the pancakes and the Jr Breakfast and it was MORE than enough food for both of us. The serving size of both meals was "adult-like" and the price was $7-9 each if I remember correctly as apposed to $16-19 on the "adult" menu. The food was great and we really enjoyed it.
Great hotel...aside from the John Wayne airpor noise, I would stay here again.

Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

We had a little misunderstanding on the number of beds required by our party, ending up one bed short because all of the rollaways were in use, but the staff solved the problem promptly and courteously. Well done!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

The hotel was situated very conveniently to the airport. Checking in was very efficient with a friendly staff. The room were well decorated however not as nice as the other Fairmonts. Bed was very comfortable and the Lodgenet in room app was very convenient.
Room service was a bit pricey but well worth it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple