“Nice if you like this sort of place... but watch the add-ons”

The Duke Hotel Newport Beach
Ranked #9 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
London, United Kingdom
“Nice if you like this sort of place... but watch the add-ons”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a very slick, efficient, pleasant hotel, presumably aimed at business travellers. The staff were great, and very helpful when I had a couple of random questions. It was a bit large and soulless for my liking, but that's a matter of personal preference, I guess. I was not impressed, though, with the charge of $15 for 24 hours of internet access or - wait for it - $1 a minute to check your email on one of their computers. Even by the rip-off standards of fancy hotels, that was too much to swallow, when the rooms cost as much as they do.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (250)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, California
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We stayed at this hotel twice this year with equally great results. Terrific service. Comfotable rooms and convenient location. On the second stay we even got a package that included parking which I really like. I prefer to tip the valet staff individually rather than getting hit with a $20+/day charge. Sometimes it may even cost me more that way, but I prefer to show my appreciation for good service. Well done Fairmont Newport Beach. Can't wait to get back and try the Peking Duck Spring Rolls on our next visit.

Room Tip: Never had a bad one
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lauren C, Director of Sales at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear caltraveler54 - Thank you for taking the time to review the Fairmont Newport Beach. I'm thrilled that you have been a repeat guest of ours this year and that your experience was equally accomodating while providing terrific service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future so that you try some of the Duck Spring Rolls- they are divine! Best, Lauren Carr, Director of Sales & Marketing
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I travel to the Fairmont often for work and stay here because of the Amadeus Spa. It is a small, peaceful spa tucked away on the 3rd floor of this hotel. The staff is warm and friendly and the service is amazing. Mona, the massage therapist I regularly see when I'm in town, goes above and beyond out of her way for me to provide a customized massage to not only relax but to also work out the 'kinks' that build up. She even goes as far as telling me areas to focus on or things I can do at home in between visits to help with my wellness. I have been to many spas and have to say, when I stop traveling out to Newport for work, I would consider traveling out for a weekend getaway just to visit this spa and get one of those AMAZING massages. This spa is well worth the visit!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Newport Beach
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This spa is professional, great technicians and therapists, it is quiet, clean and offers a wide variety of excellent treatments. Great value and a really good experiences. I have been a regular client for a number of years and want to recommend this "hidden gem". Thanks Amadeus for my glowing skin!! Especially to Brandi X

Room Tip: I regularly am a client of Amadeus Spa located inside the Fairmont Hotel, in Newport Beach and wish...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights for work. Nice property for sure, but the hotel misses on several fronts. First, I find it incredibly cheesy to find a $7 bottle of Evian water for sale in the room at a hotel where you are paying $200+ per night. There were a couple of dried blood stains on my sheets, which I had to have changed-- but never received an apology. The walls of my room were very thin, and I could hear people's conversations and toilets in the surrounding rooms. The furniture in the room was scratched and chipped pretty bad too. Parking is valet-only, at $28 per night, which I would never have paid for on my own dime. Also, wifi service was charged at $13 per day, again, a bit cheesy. The restaurant in the hotel is Bambu, which was fine for breakfast, but a little weird for drinks and dinner. The atmosphere is just lacking, and the setup is also unusual. The food was decent and reasonably priced, and they had some good happy hour prices on some appetizers. There were really no other restaurants within walking distance that I could find on Yelp. The location is very convenient for the airport, and only 15 minutes to the beach. Fairmont hotels are generally 4-star type properties, but this one is underwhelming. Will search a bit harder for the next trip to OC.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Bodhi360
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Had a highly enjoyable weekend at the Fairmont, Newport Beach.

Knowing the Fairmont brand quite well, and in reading other Tripadvisor reviews about the hotel, I was prepared for a less than "Fairmont " weekend.

Boy, was I wrong.

Mind you, the hotel is in a business park, less than 10 minutes from the beach and Balboa Island, and minutes from the airport. But I appreciated this surreal environment. The quiet, car-less streets, the empty office towers, and the lawns of green between them, provided peace and tranquility.

We booked the four for four package designed for families visiting Disneyland. We' don't have kids, and weren't visiting Disneyland, but scored big with this package anyway: 1 bedroom suite w/ included valet parking, breakfast on both days (a shuttle to Disney's also included which we obviously didn't utilize).

And we brought our dog who was pampered by hotel staff more than we were. (Keep in mind there is a $25/day dog fee.) They have a full room service menu for dogs! Amazing!

Before check in, I had requested to change rooms to a junior suite. I wanted the adjoining private balcony that come with that room type, but non were available on Friday. The staff was very apologetic. So we decided to switch on Saturday, which was fun because it gave us the opportunity to enjoy both their 1 bedroom and junior suites.

Check in was fantastic, the front desk attendant was warm, courteous and genuine. I repeatedly saw him throughout the weekend, and he always addressed me by name, always with a sincere smile.

The one bedroom suite was typical. Two adequately sized nicely appointed rooms, a combo marble bath, marble entry way, and two closets made for a spacious and comfortable retreat. (By the way - the Fairmont Le Labo amenities are incredible and are at all Fairmont properties.) An adorable Disney welcome ammenity was delivered later that eve: delicious Mickey Mouse shaped cookies lying on a bed of brown sugar sand and sculpted sugar sand castle. No kids in sight, or Disney trip to be had, but man, I downed those cookies and enjoyed every last bite.

There were minor scuffs on some furniture which a few reviewers have minutely catalogued in detail on here, but in a hotel that caters drunk weddings and a slightly crass and boisterous "O.C." bar crowd, they can't replace furniture after every tiny nick. Believe me, even at the Pennisula, St. Regis or Ritz there are scuff marks on the furniture. Gasp!

We ate at Bambu Restaurant Friday night, but dined outside on their new patio space; we brought our dog with us to dinner. This isn't the norm for them, they explained, to allow dogs, but again, their service this particular weekend was stellar, and they wanted us to be comfortable at every moment possible.

Wait, bar and hotel staff gushed over our dog and even brought her a plate of gourmet dog treats during our meal. (Thanks to this treatment our dog acted even more entitled the entire week after our weekend stay. )

After dinner, we strolled the quaint grounds attached to the hotel, a vegetable garden, a lush lawn paradise with accompanying gazebo (I'm sure a hit with the wedding crowd), and two tennis courts(which we used later in the weekend).

Saturday morning, the front desk offered to move our belongings to the junior suite during the afternoon while we went off to Balboa island, which was thoughtful and convenient.

Upon returning to the hotel and entering our new room, the junior suite, we were impressed to say the least.

Top floor. Expansive marble entryway. Spacious room with plenty of floor, seating and closet space. Private large balcony with near 260 degree city views. Surprisingly oversized bathroom complete with vanity, double marble sinks, separate big walk-in shower / deep soak jet bath, and separate WC.

Wow. I'm staying in this room again, I thought.

Breakfast was tasty both mornings, Saturday at Bambu, Sunday in-room.

The only thing I found slightly less than appealing during this weekend stay was some of the other hotel "Orange County" guests and subsequent bar folk.

But again - either we were an anomaly or some of these reviewers just missed the mark - because the staff - I got to hand it to them - from front desk to bell to bar to housekeeping, all of them went above and beyond to ensure that we had the most comfortable and relaxing weekend as possible.

And we did. And we will return. Soon.

Room Tip: Definetely book a junior suite on a higher floor. You'll be happy you did.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bahstar1
Lauren C, Director of Sales at The Duke Hotel Newport Beach, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear bahstar1- thank you very much for your lovely review! It is so wonderful to hear that you (and Fido!) had an incredibile stay with us. We continually strive to ensure that each and every one of our guests enjoy exceptional personal service. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Newport Beach.

Best,
Lauren Carr
Director of Sales & Marketing
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I had high hopes for this hotel--the proximity to SNA was important to me and I depended on the brand to deliver a stellar hotel experience.

The lining of palm trees on the entrance and second level cabana from street view looked promising. The over all interior design needs a refresh--perhaps upon it's opening several years ago it was a first in class property. The service was acceptable but not memorable.

The rooms furnishings need are in need of refresh and rather uninspired design. It was a style that was perhaps of yesterday--the media furniture piece was in need of sanding and a repaint--I was surprised that this was a Fairmont property. I would hope they look at this quality standard. The bar was also uninspired--I was hoping it would have been more lively like the Hyatt in Newport Beach. I could hear people talking in the hallway as if they were in my room.

A great central location--just need to work on the ambiance factor and design to make this a superb hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo