“Great staff, good place”

Newport Channel Inn
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Georgetown, Texas
“Great staff, good place”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I had a great experience staying here. The location is fantastic, about a 4 minute walk to the beach. The hotel itself is a bit old but nicely maintained for a place that gets a lot of salt air and - I imagine - stays pretty well booked throughout the year.

The staff were fantastic. They seem to love what they do and are speedy when processing check-in paperwork. I had to change my reservation to slice a day off the end and found them to be very accommodating, even though I suspect it might have resulted in a room empty that last night that wouldn't have otherwise been empty. That's such a nice difference from the big chain hotels and that's what prompted me to share my happy thoughts about this hotel.

It's not the fanciest place, but it is clean and reasonably up-to-date. I would recommend it to anybody staying in the Newport beach area looking for a good value.

Stay here. I doubt you'll regret it.

Room Tip: The top floor is probably the place to be because it's an older building and I imagine it may ge...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Travlin T

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed June 4, 2014

I planned a visit to this area for myself and my husband, our 5-year-old grandson, and my sister. I had never been to the area, so I relied heavily on Tripadvisor reviews when making my plans. Based on reviews, I selected this hotel for its beach access and relatively low cost. I found the hotel to be clean and comfy, (though certainly very basic) and the staff very pleasant and helpful. The beach chairs, boogie boards, beach toys and beach towels available at the front desk were a big plus! It was just a short walk to the beach. The afternoon we arrived, we scurried down to the beach right away and were thrilled by the sight of a pristine beach, lots of surfers, and dozens of dolphins playing in the surf! My grandson had never experienced ocean swimming before, and he fell in love with the experience right away. There is a great little playground right behind the hotel, which was perfect for a 5-year-old. We ate at an Italian restaurant just a couple of doors down, Spaghetti Bender, that was very good. The one negative comment I have to share is that the air conditioning unit in our room blew disproportionately on one of the two beds in the room, which meant that either my sister, or my husband and myself had to live with being either a little cooler or a little warmer than we would have liked at night.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank icefoggy
Indio, California
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We've been staying at The Newport Channel Inn for over 15yrs and have never been disappointed. It's always clean and the owners are friendly and helpful. Every year they add or do something new to improve the place. They provide nice beach chairs, bogey boards and beach towels , just one less thing to pack. This year we stayed in their new wheelchair accessible room the shower & bathroom are to die for. They have a nice size deck to watch the sunset. Can't say enough nice things about this place recommend it to everyone I know, can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: rm #227 is in the rear with a window look out over a cute little park with great ventilation
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank joann f
Ocean Pines, Maryland
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This is a little motel across busy highway 1 from the beach. Nothing special but the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the location is nice. But the best part of the place is the folks who run things. Every imaginable toy you might need to enjoy the beach is available and the lovely folks at the front desk make this a very good value.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JDavid69
Reno, Nevada
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband and I stay at this beach Motel every time we go to Newport Beach. We were to attend a Wedding in Huntington Beach. We could not even find a hotel in Huntington for the price, not to mention the location of The Newport Channel Inn. We arrived arrived 11pm the night before our reservation and even asked for an extra room for some unexpected family members. NO PROBLEM.. Room 117 in the back was quiet and close to the little park which was perfect for our 2 year old grandchild. The rooms have a fun little divider between the bed and bathroom. Nice privacy! Since we brought our own chairs, we did not use the ones provided by the motel. It appears they go early so get yours in the AM. Beach towels are plentiful. Cappy's is right next door and the Big Belly Deli only 1 block away. The beach is across the street and crossing at the light is sooo simple. The beach is less crowded then down at the Pier. Highly recommend!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank rtconnie76
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

We stay there for a week, and we ask for a room in the back, which is more quite during the night. The room size was excellent and the street noise was very low. It also have a nice view for a small park with privacy. During the day it was not so quite and nice because the room was next door to the laundry and we could hear the machine, radio and people sounds. The hotel is very well located to go to the beach and also to go to Irvine, Corona del Mar and of course Newport Beach. The reservation done by email works very well, and the staff was courteous and effective. In summary I would say it is a nice, safety and simple hotel with a very competitive price for the location.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank darwinsail
Minot, North Dakota
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We checked in April 1st around 4pm. Location is just across the street from beach access with a couple places to eat nearby. Front desk attendant was a younger guy with shoulder length hair, who was very helpful about letting us know about the nearby attractions and the hotels provides beach towels & chairs. Even when our vegas hotel charged me a $100 security deposit causing my credit card to decline, he assisted me as best he could to figure something out. I slept well just cause I sleep deep but my other half had a little hard time because there's a certain noise in the middle of the night like someone's breaking into some door or what not from the other room. Not the Inn's fault though if it was the next door customers, just thought we'd mention it too.

Now for the bad. Every day we had to have our key cards reprogrammed. Not really a big deal but when you are tired for the day and just want to crash, it is annoying to have to stop & bother the front office. The thing that got me was that we decided to stay an extra night. My other half talked to the front desk lady around 9pm of April 3 just as we got back and asked her if we could extend our stay. The lady was on the phone the whole time and just kept saying Okay. My other half kept on asking if there would be any additional charge for extending so she could pay right on but the lady insisted and said "No, you're all good, we have your card on file." Come next morning, I had to double check, twice, to the front desk if they were able to charge us for our extension, the lady in the morning (same lady from last night) said they would use my other card on file. When we got back around 8pm that night our key cards did not work. The night time guy informed me that my 2nd card was declined to which I presented him cash. This is where he told me the weekend rate was about $30 more. I paid it but this puts me in a total bind. If I had known about the $30 increase when talking to the morning attendant, I would have cut somethings short to stay in Fresno for cheaper.

To make the long story short, what started great, ended horrible because of their front desk lady that was not very helpful and informative about our inquiries. It's still a good Inn, we just hope that the lady was clear about any changes made by customers. We talked to her thrice in a span of 12hours, to make sure, to double check, but yea, she was even the one who was agitated and giving us an attitude because we kept on checking to be sure. Too bad I did not know their names. All I could say is that the two young men front desk clerk, one with beard, and one with shoulder length hair were very helpful. The maintenance crew offered assistance as well but to the graveyard front desk lady during April 3-4, we hope you could be more helpful to other customers because we planned on giving this Inn a better review but with the unsaid increase, we ended up being mad, and annoyed.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back of the hotel. Less traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple