“We booked the family room” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Newport Channel Inn

Newport Channel Inn
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Henderson, Nevada
“We booked the family room”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

The owners were wonderful and really went the extra mile! The room was clean and intuitive. Small fridge microwave coffee maker. Comfy pillows and sheets. Traveled with 3 adults and 3 year old twins and a 2 year old...they had sand toys for the beach (just a short walk away) and beach chairs. Definitely would come back to stay.

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Julia H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
San Dimas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I have stayed at this small older motel several times in the past it is relatively inexpensive and only a short walk to the beach. This stay the room was clean, however the front desk staff are not very friendly and you often have to wait at the check in desk for someone to come out from the back living area. Upon my check out at 8:30am not too early I found the front office door locked, however the little side door to the back office living area was open and I found several people all in sleeping bags passed out along with numerous empty beer cans. Apparently they partied all night and they were hard to wake up. The only reason I wanted to be let in was the hotel offers cheaper tickets for Disneyland than you get at the park. The man who came to the office was very apologetic, and said his alarm did not wake him up. Overall this is a nice place to stay if you plan on spending most of your day at the beach.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lydia m
new hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here 3 nights in September and it served the purpose of being in an area to explore. We had a back room so it wasn't as noisy as some have stated and it was clean. The guys/girls in the office were very nice to deal with and yes they were young but had some good suggestions for us on where to go. Getting to the beach was a breeze! There are a couple of restaurants within walking distance for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If you want a cold beer sandwich or pizza I suggest Big Belly Deli that you can walk to. The staff was great and pizza good. You can grab a sandwich to bring to the beach.

Room Tip: I'd go with second floor in the back next time around. Although we were in the back and it wasn...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Utah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and had a nice experience. The staff were the very best part! They were helpful and thoughtful and gave us great suggestions of things to do and see. This is an older very basic motel, but if that's all you need it's a great place to stay.

The Good:

The Staff!
The bed was comfortable
The bedding was great, very nice quality
Being able to easily borrow beach chairs and towels was awesome, especially if you fly
Free Parking!!
Closeness to the beach and good restaurants
Very reasonable price

The Not as Good

We were on the first floor and had people walking by our room constantly and, while they weren't very noisy, the thin windows made it feel less than private.
Although we left our room for several hours in the morning, came back to rest for a couple of hours and then were out the rest of the day our room never got made up
The towels were thin and very rough
It was quite a ways from downtown Newport and the ferries, although we did not mind this if you want to be in the nightlife etc. you may want to stay closer as parking is difficult in that area.

Room Tip: I would think second floor away from the highway would probably be your best bet for quiet and priva...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

This place was awesome! We booked a block of rooms for a family weekend, and the staff worked with us all along to accommodate our needs!

The rates can't be beat, and the rooms are nice and clearn.

And it's under a 5-minute walk from the Beach!

Overall, great value - I highly recommend this place!

Miriam

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Brookline, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at the Newport Channel Inn on Labor Day Weekend. We selected the hotel based on the positive reviews here as well as on the fact that my research indicated that this would be about the least expensive option for a family of four in the area.

Unfortunately, this proved to be the most disappointing of five hotels we stayed at during our recent southern California trip. Some of it was bad luck and some of it was bad service from some of the junior members of the staff.

In a nutshell, our stay began on a Friday night that was literally the hottest day of the year. In spite of that, the A/C was not on when we arrived, and the A/C unit itself generated only a modest breeze. We went to the office, and the junior staff member came out to our room. After about a minute, he said that there was nothing he could do. The result was an unpleasant night in our sweltering room. We slept poorly and had little energy for the next day, which was supposed to be our big day at the beach.

We spoke to the staff again the next day and ended up getting a lot of excuses and no results. The weather cooled down a bit, so our second night was better but still not really comfortable. When we checked out, we also had to deal with an unpleasant attitude from a staff member and no offer for a discount.

So we left feeling pretty down about the Newport Channel Inn. Here's where the story gets interesting, though: I wrote an initial TripAdvisor review in which I captured our disappointment very factually--no ranting or exaggeration. I said that under normal circumstances, I could imagine the hotel being worth 4/5 as a rating. However, the malfunctioning A/C brought my score down to a 3/5, and the attitude of some (but not all) of the staff members brought it down to further to a 2/5. And I figured that was that.

So I was very pleasantly surprised to get a personal call from the hotel manager after he read my review online. At great length, he expressed his sincere regrets over our difficult stay and that he appreciated the care with which I had written my review. He told me it was the poorest review that they received in over a year and that they were determined to turn the experience into a learning opportunity for the staff. They also had made plans to replace the inadequate A/C unit in the room. He told me that many homeowners in Newport Beach don't even bother having A/C because it's only an issue a few days a year--we just happened to catch one of those days. Still, he agreed that the A/C needed to be ready to do its job on those days.

He also informed me that they had already refunded my credit card for the first night of our two-night stay--the night when we were so uncomfortable. This saved us $190 and seemed to me to be a very fair outcome. All of a sudden, the hotel went from being the most expensive of the five places we stayed (admittedly Labor Day Weekend rates were a significant factor there) to becoming the least expensive on a per-night basis. While I still would've preferred to have a nice cool room, this left me with a very different feeling about the whole experience, and I retracted my review so I could update it with a more thorough commentary on what happened.

The impression I'm left with is that this is a small, family-run hotel run by someone who deeply cares about the customer experience... and who responds to a dissatisfied customer with poise, courtesy, and a complete lack of defensiveness. He finished our call by urging me to stay again in the future so I can be really wowed the next time, and I will take him up on it if I'm in the area. Of course, the goal for any hotel is to do the right thing, the right way, the first time, and that didn't happen here... but it was nice to see a great response to my review.

There is a good moral here for TripAdvisor reviewers as well as for hotels and attractions reviewed here: As a reviewer, it's important to write fair and balanced reviews without any hyperbole or ranting. That makes the service provider more likely to respond reasonably. And for those who receive bad reviews, it's still not too late to make things right! Owners who take TripAdvisor reviews seriously get a major plus in my book.

FInally, some general comments on the hotel:

Positives: It was good to have three proper beds instead of a cot or a rollaway, as we had in several other hotels... Within easy walking distance, there's an awesome cafe for breakfast with absurdly huge pancakes (an order of three pancakes is enough for three people!) and a restaurant called Eat Chow that was quite good... The hotel is very close to the beach and not a far drive to the best parts of the beach... The shower was good, as was the housekeeping... Some of the staff were really good: After walking two blocks to the beach, I was concerned to find that surfers dominated it. Where could we swim? The guy on duty gave us a map and all sorts of tips about where to swim and park for free.

Negatives: As mentioned, the A/C was a problem, as was the customer service from a couple of individuals. But I understand that the A/C has been fixed and that steps have been taken to turn the customer service problem into a "teachable moment." The beds were okay--not super comfortable, but adequate... While you can easily walk to the beach, I'd be reluctant to swim there due to all of the surfboarders... Breakfast is not included: Hmm, it would be interesting if they could work out a deal where your hotel room fee includes a complimentary breakfast at the place next door! Many of the hotel breakfasts we had elsewhere were only so-so, and the place next door had a terrific breakfast.

Room Tip: Their website has photos of the rooms to give you some sense of what you're getting. It's d...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank tunemeister
bergen county, nj
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I am not one for flair and extras, so Newport Channel Inn was perfect for me.
My room had a mini-fridge, microwave, coffee maker, and wifi. The front desk lends out beach towels (and I think boogie boards and chairs, but I didn't ask). They have cable with HBO (my room had a nice 40" tv.)
The only downside (as is with most inns) is that the windows face the hallways, so you have some foot traffic noise, but it was off-season, so this was not bad.
I found this a great place to stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo