“Great Value Near Beach”

Newport Channel Inn
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Quiet, clean rooms near the beach, with great customer service and excellent value is a winning combination for this hotel. While the beach is not visible from the hotel due to the houses on the opposite side, it is a very quick walk past them to get to the beach.

The front desk provides towels, boogie boards, and other assorted beach things to borrow, which is a great positive. I probably would not have tried boogie boarding otherwise, though it turned out to be great fun!

The stretch of beach across from the hotel is top notch, with loads of clean sand and surf.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank s1212404
There are newer reviews for Newport Channel Inn

Reviewed September 9, 2012

My 3 sisters & I spent 2 nights in a ground floor room (Room 104) with 2 queen beds. We requested ground floor, because someone in our party had trouble with stairs. The room wasn't huge, but there were 4 of us and we never felt crowded. The room was clean and quiet. The staff was friendly and accommodating. I left a note for housekeeping asking for extra towels, coffee, soap, etc. and a generous amount was left for us.

I read the positive reviews before I booked it, but was still apprehensive when I pulled up to the motel. It's not fancy by a long shot, but we just needed a place to sleep since we were out and about both days. The front desk person was very helpful with suggestions for dinner & breakfast. The owner helped us with directions & parking for the Catalina Ferry.

If you want to go to the beach a couple of blocks away, you can ask for beach towels & beach chairs. There is no swimming pool on the property, but there is a rooftop sun deck. I didn't see any shade or umbrellas up there.

The air conditioner worked well. It is a unit mounted high on the wall. It does blow air from the unit, but it has louvers to control the flow and also has settings for high, medium, low & quiet. We set it for "quiet" at night and it really was.

The bathroom was clean. The shower had lots of hot water and a good flow shower head. The rooms have a small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, hair dryer & flat screen TV. We also had free WiFi - I think it had to do with our AAA rate.

Since it's a motel, you park right outside your door. I was pleasantly surprised by how quiet it was, but our room was not on the street and we went the week after Labor Day. I don't know how it is in the summer.

Good restaurants are within a block. We had a breakfast at Cappy's, a lunch at Big Belly Deli and a dinner at Eat Chow. All had excellent food and I would highly recommend them.

Would I stay here again? Absolutely! Our check-out total came to only $217 for 4 people for a Thursday & Friday night stay.

Room Tip: Our Room 104 was about halfway back and very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Cheryl S
Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you like a quiet room very close to the Newport Beach this is the place. Clean, facilities, flatscreen TV, Frig, and a nice shower. Priced a little high, but worth it. No drawbacks for a nice room in quick walking distance to the large clean beach. But read carefully what you sign. The exit price was a bit more expensive than what was discussed at the desk. The sunsets and big waves helped me ignore the cost. Enjoy.

Room Tip: Upstairs is the best. Surfers and kids come in all times of the night. No pool. No spa. Walking...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank edward b
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I booked this hotel after reviewing tripadvisor feedback and after discerning that it was indeed one of the few affordable Newport Beach hotels/motels within close proximity to the beach. When we pulled up to the Newport Channel Inn, I was a little disheartened and worried because it's located between a liquor store and smoke shop. Not an ideal location. I was also concerned that the sun deck would prompt weekend parties until the wee hours of the morning. When I checked in, the clientele looked young and perhaps prone to lots of noise.

Thankfully, this turned out not to be the case. There were lots of well-behaved families staying at the Newport Channel Inn and the place was extremely quiet at night. The rooms were plain and not much to look at but were extremely clean. The bathroom area in our unit (1 queen, 1 twin) was large and the beds were quite comfortable. (The queen more so than the twin.) There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room, which is always helpful.

The front desk staff, including the owner, was phenomenal! They were so friendly and helpful and more than eager to make local recommendations for restaurants, activities, etc. We also loved the idea that this hotel had beach towels, chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards, and more available to take to the beach. That meant that out-of-staters like us didn't have to worry about carrying along beach amenities.

Just a word about the beach: The public beach is indeed across the street from the hotel, but be advised that you cannot see it. The hotel is on busy Coast Highway, which you must cross to get to the beach. There are homes between the highway and the sand. I had a misconception about this before arriving.

My only complaint was about the air-conditioning. It worked just fine and did indeed help block out the noise from Coast Highway. My only issue was that because it is mounted up by the ceiling directly across from the beds, it blows directly on guests as they are sleeping. That made it uncomfortable and my daughter was complaining about being very cold, even though the thermostat was on 74. Just a minor issue, however.

A tip: A few doors away is Cappy's Cafe and Cantina, which looks a bit like a dive but is obviously a popular place to eat judging by the Saturday morning crowd. The breakfast we had there was phenomenal, probably one of the best meals of our trip. Check out the vast selection of omelets.

So, if you're looking for a hotel near the beach with affordable prices and you don't mind the lack of a view, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Ask for the 2nd floor so that you avoid the noise from the parking lot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank pat221
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We booked this hotel based purely on the reviews from Trip Advisor. I gotta be honest, when we drove up to it I thought "Oh my Lord! What have we done?!" The place is not much to look at on the outside. It's old, extremely blue and plain looking and reminded me of an hourly motel that was near the home I grew up in.

However, that all changed when we saw our room. The room was so nice and very well kept. It is older, but has a really unique character to it and still offered modern conveniences. You could tell that it had been updated with new tile in the last few years and there were no cracks or crevices anywhere to be found.

It is also walking distance to the beach. Based on the reviews I actually thought it was on the beach and was a little disappointed to find out it was in fact on the north side of the highway, but the beach was still so close that it didn't really matter.

Great value, tremendously friendly and helpful staff, a comfortable bed and a great location made this a great destination for us. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Foonaka
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This hotel is a gem for large families! My husband and I stayed here with our 5 grown children. We had a huge room which was clean, well kept and very inexpensive. It is an older hotel but well maintained. You can't ask for nicer people at the front desk! They offered directions and ideas that were all very helpful. Bought our Disneyland tickets from them and saved a lot of money. Some reviews talked about the street noise which we didn't mind. I mean, you are on a major road so some noise is expected. Beach location is great too. I highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Jenny S
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Great Hotel - GREAT OWNER - Great Value.

Stayed here many times on business and recently with my family. No better value in Newport Beach.

Room Tip: Book early to reserve a room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business