“Comfortable and adequate”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Spent four nights at the Marriot for a conference.
Arrived via taxi from John Wayne airport. $18 ride.
Check in was smooth, but we did arrive at 11pm. We were in Harbor Landing. The rooms are located in an outside corridor. They have construction going on, so good luck sleeping in.
The room: double bed room was very comfortable. It is equipped with a fridge, iron, hair dryer. The staff keeps you stocked up on shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion.
The grounds are pretty. They have two pools, but it was too cool for us to use them. They have infused water in the lobby. Wifi is not free. They charge for parking. A big plus is a Starbucks on property! I did not eat at the restaurants, so I can't comment.

Checkout was a breeze. They leave you an itemized bill and if all looks well, you can leave they keys in the room and don't even have to go to the front desk. They have taxis waiting at the front. It was $25 for the return trip.
Tips:
- Fashion island is right across the street. Good restaurants and stores. The have a whole foods at the mall
- The Orange County museum of modern art is about a 10min walk
- You can take bus 55 to get to Balboa Pier within 25 min.
- hertz has a rental counter on property.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GlobetrotterBella
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing such detailed and insightful feedback surrounding your recent stay. I’m glad to see the hotel met your needs for this business visit and that you found the in-room amenities convenient and useful. I do apologize for the noise you experienced and any inconvenience it may have caused. We just completed the final phase of our guest room renovation, and did everything we could to minimize the impact on our guests. Please know we welcome and encourage guest feedback while still on property. That way we have the chance to remedy any dissatisfaction before departure. I also hope you enjoyed your conference experience, as we take a lot of pride in providing exceptional experiences for both travelers and conference attendees. I hope you will have the opportunity to return to Newport Beach again, perhaps for leisure, so that you can enjoy all the wonderful things our location has to offer!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,185)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We arrived at this resort directly off of a cruise. It was a timeshare exchange. Our check in clerk was friendly and helpful. We asked for a quiet unit but the first one assigned was too close to the pool and activities area so we asked for something else and got a perfect location for us.

The unit was spacious and well equipped however to couch was not comfortable. The cushions didn't stay in place so needed to be pushed back repeatedly.

Walking the grounds includes a lot of stairs so we felt we got some good exercise. There is a shuttle bus that will pick up and deliver on demand. The gardens were attractive and the main pool area with a lunch counter and bar were a good spot for lunch.

The area is great for beaches, shopping, restaurants and sightseeing but a car is mandatory.

Room Tip: High rooms have better views of the ocean. There are elevators.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a very nice one night getaway for our anniversary. Stayed in the Pacific Tower Room 301. Super view over the golf course to the ocean and Catalina Island. Our roon had a small deck with two chairs (not comfortable) and a table. BYOB and it's a great way to watch a sunset. It's also a nice quiet spot in the morning for your coffee (there's a Statbucks in the lobby) with birds singing We met up with friends by the firepits with couches overlooking the pool nesr the bar. Also a great sunset spot. Room was nice but the bathroom was pretty tiny with almost no counter space and no tub. Two cannot fit in there at once. We walked to dinner at Fashion Island (Flemings) where there are a number of choices. Overall a solid pick!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 20, 2014

I travel a lot for business so I get to stay at a bunch of hotels, this place has to be one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. From the nice fire pits outside to the great views from the rooms this place was great. The only minor complaint and I mean minor is I wish the concierge would have been available longer to help with reservation. In their absence the desk staff jumped in with great suggestions so all was good. Can not wait to return.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the fire pits outside
Reviewed March 19, 2014

I would rate this hotel between poor and average for the price. I paid $270/night for my room. This is the second time I stayed here, both times for business meetings and both times I was underwhelmed. Both times checking in and checking out involved a long wait, with one or two employees trying to handle everyone. The hotel itself is a labyrinth and tricky to navigate. The Wi-Fi on both trips also did not work. I arrived a bit late on the most recent trip and tried to order food around 10pm. The phone rang for room service and it said "someone will be with you shortly", there was no answer ever, I was just on-hold indefinitely. The room itself was average. They told me it was "newly renovated", but I had stayed in the same (Pacific Tower) before and it looked exactly the same to me, a bit dated. The room was missing regular coffee and the coffee pot had no chance to get plugged in except in the bathroom. At $270/night plus misc. charges for everything (I think they would charge for air if they could), I suggest staying elsewhere. Plenty of bettter hotels for equal or lower prices, Fashion Island is not impressive and just ridiculously expensive.

Room Tip: Ask about construction, seems they are always adding rooms and/or renovating.
1  Thank Shane S
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent stays. Most importantly, I’d like to apologize for the many shortcomings you experienced. As our guest, you deserve to be satisfied with every detail of your stay, and it’s obvious we failed to deliver even the basic services to you. We are already working to address the internet issues mentioned and I’ve already spoken to our Director of Housekeeping to ensure our in-room appliances are all plugged in and amenities fully stocked. I am also very eager to uncover what happened with the additional items you mentioned, and would like to request more information, should you be so inclined to share it with me. If you can e-mail Executive Assistant, Maria Guzman (maria.guzman@marriott.com), your dates of stays (for both visits if possible), room number and any additional details you’d like to share, I’d greatly appreciate it. You are also welcome to call the hotel at (949) 640-4000 and ask for me directly.

If your travels bring you to the area once more, it would be our pleasure to welcome you back. Please let me know and I will personally ensure your stay reflects the true Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa experience!

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My wife and I came in for a meeting with our Web group. My original room 211 was impossible to find without a staff member. On the second day, they upgraded us to a tower room 944 with a view of the Ocean and Catalina Island. It was spectacular. The staff was terrific. Not only do they go beyond expectations, they do it with a smile. Can't say enough great things about the staff. The only problems we had was the outlet in the bathroom didn't work. No refrigerator in the room (there was space for it), the closet was odd and the clothes didn't fit since they stuck out past the door. There was a broken shelf. Valet parking is $30 a night but that's typical. They did try to double bill me on the parking but they straightened it out in the end. Construction was a bit noisy. I recommend this hotel but stay in the Towers.

Room Tip: Towers have a view.
Reviewed March 14, 2014

Really?? $50 to self park?? We could have parked off site and taken a cab for cheaper. The hotel restaurant is way over priced for mediocre food. We stood there waiting to be sat while the hostess carried on a personal conversation. We finally sat ourselves to be told to help ourselves to the buffet but when we started serving ourselves the snarky omelette guy told us we needed to hustle because the clues the buffet at 10:00. But breakfast is served until 11:00? The waitress sensed we were bothered so she knocked some off our bill but to be honest it should have been comped because we barely got anything to eat. Also, they are doing construction next door and they start very early so don't plan on sleeping in.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank James32070
DebbieSnavely, General Manager at Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Dear Guest,
I’m sorry to hear your dissatisfaction regarding your recent stay at our hotel. I truly believe the team here is one of the friendliest and most hospitable in Newport Beach, and it is disappointing to see your dining experience for breakfast did not live up to our standards of service. I am glad your server felt empowered to discount your bill to help resolve the situation, but I still want to look into this further in order to make sure something like this does not happen again. I would greatly appreciate it if you are able to e-mail my Executive Assistant, Maria Guzman, with your date of stay and day you visited the restaurant. Her e-mail is maria.guzman@marriott.com.

Based on your parking comments above, it appears you stayed two nights with us. Our overnight self-parking price of $25 per car, per day, is in line with other comparable hotels in the area. If you feel you were inaccurately billed for parking, please let Maria know as well and we are more than happy to look into it.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I hope you will give us another chance next time you are in town to show you what a truly Brilliant experience our team can provide!