“Great for Conferences, not so much for family vacations”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Boise, Idaho
“Great for Conferences, not so much for family vacations”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Stayed here recently with my family and while Marriott always has a great property this was not the best hotel for a family stay. We were in several nice rooms at the tower located at the far end of the conference center. While the long walk may have been therapeutic, it certainly was not great for grandkids who had to negotiate the hordes of convention attendees.

We were moved to the tower just behind the front desk which is much better. Had a great beach view in both areas. We found the service to be good, location is great.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with you family ask for the Harbor tower and request an Ocean view. We were on...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I stayed here for a week for business. Great staff, wonderful breakfast buffet. I also ordered room service a few times and enjoyed the omelets I ordered. My only complaint is that I didn't have a bath tub.; I like taking long baths to relax when dealing with clients. I'm usually too busy to use spa facilities.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Wailea, Hawaii
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Between three false fire alarms which were not properly communicated to guests, this experience was worst than anything I have been through before. It was my daughter's birthday and she brought three friends, I was embarrassed to show them this disgusting hotel. The lack of restaurants was horrible. If you wanted breakfast for 1 person good luck paying $20 for a buffet. The pool closed at 10 and the poolside service was just awful. You had to go up to the bar even if you wanted just plain water. Do not visit this disgusting hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chuckles B
Santa Monica, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

My wife and I get away for a few days to Newport Beach frequently. We stay at the Balboa Bay Resort, which is 5 stars all around.

This time we decided to try this Marriott in Newport Beach. What a disappointment! Management of this Marriott needs to learn a lot from the management of the Balboa Bay Resort.

This Marriott, pardon my being blunt, is cheap in terms of toiletries. Staff has an attitude, and they don't handle problems well. On Friday night there was a party of some sort a couple of rooms away from us. People were extremely loud, slaming doors, laughing in the hallway - you get the picture.
It all began around 12:30 AM. I had to call the front desk. It took them approximately two hours to resolve the problem with the overly loud guests.

Our night was ruined - we did not get any sleep that Friday night. In the morning, on the doorhandle of our room, there was a cookie-cutter printed apology from the management for our inconvenience, with a free voucher for one free beverage at the hotel's Starbucks.
My wife and I don't need a beverage donation from the hotel if we can afford to pay over $300 per night. We need excellent service. Our stay was less than pleasant, to say the least...

We will stick with the Balboa Bay Resort in Newport Beach - they know the meaning of happy guests, excellent customer service, and excellent housekeeping procedures.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GIB00
Lancaster, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for our staycation. No regrets.

It is a bit pricey for a budget traveler. But service and location justifies the cost.

It is right across from the mall named Fashion Island where there is a theater, a bunch of good quality stores, and a variety of dining choices.

It is very close to the Balboa Peninsula where you can find quaint island themed stores and restaurants. Very difficult to find parking though ( in Balboa Peninsula), so we didn't get to stroll, just drove around.

It is a short distance from the beautiful Laguna Beach, an artsy eclectic laid back town.

Service at the hotel is wonderful. Everyone greets you with a smile. They have nice water containers through out the property where you can help yourself to cold lemon water. Nice touch.

Public areas are clean and beautifully decorated. Pool has a shallow and deep part, up to 8 feet. I just thought I'd mention that since I'd been to very few hotels which offer a deep pool. There is a bar poolside, but not always open. I ended up ordering my maitai from the server the restaurant sent over and ended up paying a 20% room service fee to the already overpriced cocktail. I paid a whopping $15.00 total. But what the heck, I was on vacation after all.

I mentioned the restaurant so I'm going to say something about it. It is called Sam and Harry's. Overpriced for underseasoned food.

Rooms are spacious, clean, nicely decorated and I believe all have a wonderful view. Bed is comfortable. (Though I had a bed from a previous stay where the down feathers were poking me.) Great water pressure in the shower. I just loved showering there, I was thouroughly drenched.

Parking will cost you $28.00 a night for valet and $21.00 for self. I have to mention the parking attendant, I never met a friendlier and happier parking attendant ever.

Hotel has a spa. Unfortunately I didn't get to experience it. Again, I thought it was expensive. Next time I will when I skip Sam and Harry's.

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would consider returning.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

• Stayed September 2013
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

First, the customer service was beyond 5-star. From the valet, to the concierge, to Front Desk Staff, everyone went out of their way to greet me and remember my name. My room was very nice, bedding was very comfortable. The downside - it's expensive. Valet is $28/night, self-park is $21. Wi-fi costs $12 per day, and I found it to be very slow and unreliable during my stay. I spent a few hours at the quiet pool, but the Sand Bar wasn't open and there wasn't an attendant, so I wasn't able to order any drinks or food. The Sand Bar opened around 1pm, and once I did order food it was good (but very expensive!). For as much as I paid for my room, I would have hoped for a free breakfast included. The only breakfast options are the Starbucks or very expensive room service. It is a very nice hotel, but I can't give it four stars because it didn't seem like a good value.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are great.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Katherine714
Richmond, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

We stayed here for a family wedding, no kids.The location could not have been netter, and the views were spectacular. I run almost everywhere I stay, and there were many wonderful places to run nearby, including beautiful Balboa Island and around Back Bay Drive. I didn't spend much time in the room, but the room was comfortable and clean. Everything was what you expect from a Marriott. The staff and concierge were unbelievable. Incredibly helpful, friendly, courteous, and kind. We were all on a first name basis by the end of our 4 day stay. It was a great experience.

Room Tip: I don't ever spend a lot of time sitting in my room, so it was not important to me. We had a nic...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family