“Put On Your Hiking Boots”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Kennewick, Washington
“Put On Your Hiking Boots”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

I'll not return to the Newport Beach Marriott. Now being of sound mind and having been to many hotels over the years this hotel rates at the bottom. First you check in and then park your car a quarter mile away. Having returned to the loby now having walked a half mile my wife and I headed to the room. But where could it be. After riding the elevator up and down and up and down the room wasn't to be found. So we walked the halls. Not to be found. So we went down an elevator and walked and walked. Then got on another elevator and went up three floors and then had another long walk. A mile later we arrived at the room. Now you would think we could find the room the next time. Wrong! Another search. Each day the long walked continued but with the learning curve shortening we managed to finish the mile to the room and the car parking. What happened to the days when you could check in and go straight to your room.

The rooms were clean and confortable. At 3 AM we ended our sleep with a loud party going on. So much for sleep. For the price, the sleep, and the walk, the cost of internet, and the cost of parking, we will not return. The Hyatt Regency is close and we have had a good time there in the past.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the elevator right next to the loby.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ed258536

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (312)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel is well maintained with beautiful landscape. The first room we got was humid and smell like a urinal. We asked for another room and it still had that bathroom smell but not as bad as first room. We gave up and decided to stay. The rooms were very small and damp. The clerk who checked us in didn't explain how we were suppose to use the parking pass. We got double charged for every day and had to get it fixed. We were also charged for internet on first couple days even though we didn't even log on. I had to get that fix on invoice too. It was nuisance to have to deal with service desk regarding extra charges.

The location is conveniently located across from high end shopping mall. There were great restaurants and fast food choices at the mall. This hotel is also minutes to the beaches. I did not sleep well since beds were really soft and I practically sank into bed. I feel this property is overpriced for small rooms and we have to pay for everything internet and parking, etc

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rancho Cucamonga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This past weekend I stayed with a friend at this hotel. I requested a balcony and view of the ocean. The balcony was very small with enough room for a chair with no leg room. It appeared that was the standard size from what I could see. The view was of the south pool and golf course and if you looked out in the horizon you could see the ocean. The lobby is updated and everyone was attentive to your needs. The room was plain but clean and had a refrigerator. The only real complaint I had was on Saturday we decided to hang out at the south pool. The main pool was crowded and there were lots of kids so it didn't seem relaxing at all. The south pool was small with no frills but the quiet was worth it. We had a VERY attentive server named JD. He made us feel comfortable and even though he was supporting the other pool he always checked in with us. My problem was that the bathroom was locked and nobody seemed to have a key to open it. JD put in numerous calls to try to rectify the situation but nobody seemed to care. We had to resort to going up to the room to use the facilities. After a few hours someone came finally and unlocked the door. There then seemed to be a fury of cleaning activities taking place before we were allowed to use it. JD apologized and as I stated was truly upset about our experience. He even brought over the Manager Eric who told us it just needed to be repaired. There was never a sign stating that. He was not very concerned that this was an inconvenience to the people at the pool. Thank goodness for JD or we would have left to go the main pool. For dinner that night we went to Sam and Harry's we had an awesome dinner and the service/view was spectacular. Overall good experience but there are a few updates/changes that they can do to improve your stay there.

Room Tip: The main building probably would be a better choice then the south side
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Monroe, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here over July 4th weekend and were very pleased with the room and the staff. We are platinum members so we were given 2 continental breakfast vouchers, though we also had our child who we had to pay for. We stayed at another Marriott property in Santa Monica a few days later and we were given breakfast vouchers for all three. Not complaining as we at least got 2 comp breakfasts, just making an observation. I went to see the concierge every day to get some info, but every time I went there was a sign up directing me to the front desk. Apparently there was no concierge at all during our stay. The front desk staff was very helpful though and answered all our questions. The hotel itself is very nice, clean and updated. Our room was great and we got a fantastic view of fireworks all the way up the coast on the 8th floor. The layout of the property was strange though and we had to walk quite far to get from the lobby to our room as it was in a different building past several large meeting rooms. Definitely worked off some calories walking back and forth. Parking was easy and had in and out service so we paid one daily fee only. Overall very nice stay.

• Stayed July 2013
Monte Nido, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel itself is fine, not great, but the location can't be beat. It's right across from Fashion Island and a quick drive to the beach. You'll find more luxurious hotels in the area with more amenities and nice features, but this hotel does offer nice service. Everyone seems to be "on it". I was especially impressed with the valet guys, they went the extra mile for me.

The food is fine, but you'll probably want to try local restaurants to really be "wowed".

Room Tip: rooms with a view of the golf course are nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel for 5 days beginning July 2. I was on the club floor. I had a beautiful view of the ocean and nice room. The hotel overall is very nice but the beds and pillows are not comfortable. I was wishing for a Westin heavenly bed the entire time I stayed there. Also, please note that even though we were on a club floor (paying for a club room) the club room is closed from Noon on Friday to 5 PM on Sunday. I find that wierd and having to pay for my wine or drinks on top of the room cost for a drink in the club room was not the norm for a hotel of this caliber. Also when stepping off the elevator on the club floor I found the smell to not be pleasant. Very institutional smelling like a hosptial. I did use the SPA and enjoyed my services. The hotel pool is beautiful as well. Room service was quick too. All in all a nice stay but I will look someowhere else next time for two reasons - club room services and beds were not comfortable. This is a shame because this was my first of many trips to Newport due to business.

Room Tip: Enjoyed our ocean view room in the Pacific Tower on 12th Floor but it is a hike from the lobby so if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Legal_Lady_Texas
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have stayed at the Newport Beach Marriott Hotel and Spa a few times now and each time is as good as the last....which was great. The staff is incredible. I have to give a shout out to Alex (one of the managers) who has come through for me time and time again and ALWAYS makes my stay a fantastic one. I also have to thank the front desk Crystal who is a sweetheart and sent up chocolate covered strawberries because she knew it was my bday along with a card. How great is that???

Due to the customer service, GREAT ocean views, and overall pleasantness of the hotel/grounds, it's the only hotel I will stay at in the Newport Area.

Thank you to Alex and Crystal again. You both make my stay the best and its appreciated.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple