“Old in Newport!”

Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Nice property in a good location, especially if you want to shop like a SoCal fashionista! (Next to Fashion Island Mall)

Property is almost 40 years old, but has been renovated. Decent rooms, but a bit confusing to navigate. Seems the designer wanted you to wander a bit!

Nice golf course adjacent..

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank fbhagani

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have stayed exclusively at Marriotts worldwide for business. This occasion was for a government meeting and I stayed a week. Some of the rooms are very isolated from the main hotel and it's easy to get access from the outside. I changed my room to the main tower and I'm glad I did. A member of our trip had his room broken into while we were at the training and used condoms were in his sink when he returned and his credit cards were missing. It was suspected to have maybe been a member of housekeeping. I had stayed in that corridor and never felt safe there and it happened the day after I had asked my room to be changed. The room cleanliness was basically "ok" and the staff overall pleasant. The location is next to a giant shopping mall with the basic overpriced restaurants. The restaurant in the hotel is nice, but $30 for a steak when you can get one at the Yard House across the street for $15? Also, no free wifi in the rooms, you have to pay. I was sorely disappointed with this ,for a Marriott.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main tower..not on the side where outsiders can gain easy access.
1  Thank Susan B
Reviewed October 22, 2012

I had one night here while in Newport Beach on business. I had stayed here before so was happy enough to book in again. My check in experience was not good and my review would be quite different if the General Manager of this hotel hadn't been so awesome in dealing with my complaint. Rooms are pleasant enough and the hotel is very well located, especially if you can make time for Fashion Island across the road.

1  Thank marniemac
Reviewed October 21, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a conference and had everything I needed.
Positives:
Service: Friendliest service I've experienced. I even asked one of the employees about the training program and he told me the hotel hires based on attitude, not on skill set... Nicely done Marriott!
Rooms: My room overlooked the golf course and beach. Little balcony was nice. There was a fridge in the rooms (despite previous posts...perhaps this is a new addition)
Gym: Cardio equipment with TVs, and weight lifting equipment (free weights and machines)
Pools: Pools looked great and maintained, however it rained through my trip, therefore we didn't use the pools.
Location: I didn't venture out much, but a fantastic shopping mall was across the street to allow for easy lower cost lunches and great shopping.
Bar: Bar atmosphere, service and pricing were good

Downside:
If there could be one: The hotel is large and my room was quite a ways from the main activities. However, this isn't really a down side as their gardens and walkways were beautifully maintained!
Restaurant: Hotel restaurant, although very nice, was a bit pricey. I didn't care for what I ordered, but it could have just been a fluke as the appetizers were all excellent!

2  Thank Coralee G
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We stayed here for a conference in October and the extras were lacking. 80 plus outside but no poolside service was available. If you went to the bar for anything, the wait was terrible (only one person working). The fire pits were not lit at night, no refrigerators in the room so you could not bring anything back to your room. Extra for parking and extra charges for Internet Will stay somewhere else the next time I am out here.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Chesapeake-Mae
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Marriott to attend a conference. The location is easily accessible and the hotel is maintained wonderfully. The grounds are beautiful and immaculate. My room was a good size, equipped well and comfortable. The meeting rooms were the right temperature and it was easy to see and hear the speakers. Most impressive was the service from the staff. I do not recall a hotel where all the staff was so efficient, friendly and courteous. I would come back for a personal stay if I was back in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the golf course.
3  Thank Steve J
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I recently stayed here while visiting my daughter who lives nearby. The hotel staff was very gracious and accomodating in every way. My room faced the golf course on the second level...and it was serene and lovely. I would recommend not taking a first floor accomodation....less privacy. The breakfast area outside was lovely...serice was ok. The location was good but I had hoped Fashion Island was walkable...a little too far, although the hotel does have a shuttle...from the airport and Fashion Island. I think this hotel is a good choice if So. California is in your horizon. The ;pool was lovely and very relaxing.

Room Tip: Second floor...overlooking he golf course.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo