New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #16 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Grand Terrace, California, United States
“We stayed there.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2012

A small motel between two busy streets. About 1 block off the beach. 1960s decor. I found it clean, with pleasant help, and inexpensive. Try to get a room on the other side from the liquor store.
Plenty of pillows, just enough towels. They only have enough parking for one car for each room. Don't bring two cars. (who brings two cars?)

Room Tip: Pick a room on the North side away from the liquor store.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ed C
Little I, Owner at Little inn By The Bay, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feed back.

I recognize our limitations when it comes to the parking situation. We are a small hotel in a very urban setting and during sold out nights it can be tough for some of our guests to find parking. That is why we implement the one car per room policy. However, we relax implementing that policy at times if the situation calls for it.

Again, thank you for your feed back and let me know the next time you are in town so I can personally supervise your accommodation.

Gita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Finnish first
Indianapolis, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

I lived in Newport Beach for two years and when I come back to visit, I like to stay on the peninsula. Little Inn is right in the middle of the action. Very easy to get back and forth between restaurants, bars, and beach. The room isn't huge but we're not looking for the Walforf. The complimentary beach cruisers are a nice perk. My only complaint this time is that the shower was pretty weak. The water stream was very low. The rooms can be a bit noisy with the traffic on both sides but it's really not that bad. We'll be back when we come to town next.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IndySteve78
Dear IndySteve78,

Thank you for your kind words. We are the little hotel that constantly strives to give our guests an experience they cannot soon forget. Yes, we have beach cruisers available for our guests to experience Newport Beach or Southern Cal at their own peace and close. We also have beach chairs and umbrellas available. I'm sorry to hear about the condition of the shower in your room. I will have that looked at and resolved. Until your next visit...

Gita
Tempe, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

We haven't stayed in Newport in years. We chose the Little Inn for its location, which proved to be fantastic. It was simple, clean and walking distance from anywhere we wanted to go. The girl at front desk, Cynthia, was very helpful, pleasant and caring. She added to our great experience at Little Inn By The Bay Newport Beach Hotel. We will stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gil V
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Its all about the location.
Gave the maid $2.00 per day for two clean people, she took it from me and didn't a word, no thank you, nothing!
Housekeeping woman was very rude!
Asked for an extra pillow,she said, "you have plenty".
She wouldn't give us an extra pillow!
Girl at front was nice, they have bikes.
Would stay again, will bring my own extra pillow :-)

• Stayed August 2012
Duluth, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

Why all the negativity? I stayed here with my four children in April 2012 for three nights as a birthday surprise for my 11-year-old. We LOVED it, amazing location, and a superb deal for the price in this area. The rooms were lovely and clean. There was a bad storm while we were there and a shutter came loose in the middle of the night, driving us crazy with the pounding. I called downstairs and they immediately switched us to another room. The desk staff were personable and kind with my kids, the room was always cleaned immediately after we left in the mornings, I just have no complaints at all. As for location, the Newport Brewhouse is down the block and fantastic. A donut shop and Mickey D's across the street. I don't even remember the liquor store mentioned and as I am a light sleeper I think I would have noticed any undo rowdiness. The beach is literally a block away and gorgeous. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Little Inn by the Bay in Newport Beach for one night. I chose this hotel because of it's location (good location; however, VERY noisy - it is located in between heavily traveled streets) and the description on the Web: "Little Inn has recently renovated its entire property to provide the utmost comfort to its guests..... Little Inn by the Bay is always one step ahead in satisfying its visitors, by offering them best accommodations in Newport Beach....." The pictures on the Web site of the rooms are not like the room we stayed in - it looked like the Web photo but it was not like the photo. We stayed in a better hotel in Pakistan. Here are is some "food for thought" if you are thinking about staying there:
- towels were like Motel 6 rejects
- there was a partially used small bottle of hand lotion and an old shower cap in plastic bag (these were the amenities)
- dead bolt for the door did not work - had to put suitcases, etc. at the door for the security that night
- wimpy TV with remote that did not work
- stain on wall inside the door that looked like blood, maid removed right away when we showed it to her
- minimal lighting
- bathroom spa tub had no soap except for soap that was in a dispenser high on the wall for shower takers
- they talk about the renovation - well, the slider to the patio was hard to even open along with the screen door
- VERY noisey - no noise abatement at this place
- the hotel outside "security" lights were right outside the room on the patio that it was hard to sleep as window coverings did not keep light out
- the comforter and short blanket on the bed were wrinkled all over
- if the price for this room was like a Motel 6 would be one thing; however, we paid $274 (no AAA or AARP or Senior discounts) and this was worse than any low-budget hotel
- the mattress was SO hard, we could hardly roll out of bed the next morning
- the carpet going up the stairs was stained; that carpet had a different pattern than what was on the 2nd floor (looked like they did a patch carpet job)

I could go on and one - I think you got my "drift" - stay AWAY - I'm surprised Newport Beach officials have not closed in on this hotel - giving the city a bad name with false advertising (my perception). I read the positive reviews and these people must have never stayed in a quality hotel - must be campers.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple