“Too Pricey & Not Great”

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 11, 2013

There are lots of hidden fees at this hotel. You will pay extra for parking, wifi and then there's the $75/night incidental fee that is mentioned no where on the front of site. I wouldn't have minded so much if I was expecting these additional charges and could plan accordingly. Oh yeah and the room smelled kind of funky and the a/c was loud, outdated and didn't really cool the room that well. Not what I was expecting for a four and a half star hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room within the hotel and next to the main pool. It was very quiet and that was nice.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Renee D

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I spent a long weekend here between business trips and I found it comfortable although more suited to wedding guests than business travellers. My room was just up the stairs from the lobby / bar area and I could hear noise from there until the early hours, followed by taped piano musak for the rest of the night. Nice pitch and putt golf course and OK location.

Room Tip: Avoid staying close to the lobby on weekends unless you want to listen to taped piano music ALL nigh...
Reviewed November 9, 2013

Our stay at this Hyatt was exceptional. The property has been completely renovated. It has a new, fresh and contemporary feel. The staff was friendly and attentive. Rooms were exceptionally clean, quiet and well furnished. The grounds are beautiful. Even better the price was outstanding for the quality.

Overall we couldn't be more pleased and will return again.

Room Tip: Ground floor off the lobby are the most quiet. Most have balconies or patios.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Stayed to help a family member who did a conference there. Had stayed there years ago, the remodel and update are very nice. The grounds are wonderful, very lushly planted and extensive, nice just to walk around. Very California feel which is quite relaxing. Had an upgraded room on the ground floor with table and chairs and lawn outside our door, close to the adult pool. Very comfortable room, great air conditioning. Staff very responsive when I requested a robe and crib. The crib came with blankets, sheets and a little gift pack of lotions, soaps a much appreciated extra touch. Liked that the refrigerators did not have the mini bar stock stuff because we needed to store breast milk for the baby. Had breakfast in the coffee shop each morning, both were outstanding. Even my husband's oatmeal came with six glass jars of granola, fruit, etc. My daughter was in charge of doing a conference there and she was pleased with all of the events the hotel arranged. There's a water slide, miniature golf, volleyball court on the property so great for kids.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the ground floor with tables, chair and lawn.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here one night on a business trip. It's not overly fancy but everything was more than comfortable. The gym was quite cramped but the location is great for a run along the nature reserve. It's about a mile from the Fashion Island Mall. Nothing to complain about.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

My husband and I stayed there for a wedding so we enjoyed a discounted rate. The rooms are well updated. My only issue was that I don't think they do a good job at cleaning the restroom, including the shower/bathtub, sink, etc. They definitely need to train their employees on that. But, otherwise everyone there is very friendly and our overall experience was good. The grounds are well kept and the location is convenient.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This newly remodeled hotel has a lot going for it -- and a few faults we couldn't overlook. The room was spacious with a balcony, a somewhat obscured but still nice view of the bay (though we didn't pay extra), wonderfully responsive staff on all levels, and lush, interesting grounds. I enjoyed walking my dog all over.The entire property was clean and beautifully maintained. I didn't have time for the pools or tennis but there's 3 (pools) that looked like they suited a variety of needs whether it's noisy fun with the kids, sunbathing or reading, etc. The on site restaurant wasn't too pricey - I managed a lunch for one for $20.00 plus tip - but the menu was limited. As was room service selections. My 2 major complaints are the size of the standard bathrooms. One sink, small room (very shortsighted for two people) ordinary facilities (regular bath, rain shower head - nothing special), no shower cap - though they did list them as an amenity they would happily provide. My partner was in town on business, I was looking forward to a long weekend relaxing and hopefully catching up on some recent movies I've missed. I was immediately surprised by the poor picture quality on the nicely sized flat screen -- definitely not the standard clarity I have become accustomed to. What was really disappointing though was the locked-volume of the television - first time I've ever encountered this in a hotel, especially a quality chain like Hyatt. It stopped at 20. Even after turning off the air conditioning we couldn't hear it very well. My partner is also hearing impaired so it was impossible for her. The movie I attempted to rent was, oddly, even LOWER in volume so we turned it off in frustration. At our complaint they sent an engineer up, though the gesture was just for show. With obvious embarrassment he admitted that the picture quality was their number one complaint -- and they had no control over the volume - the new TV's had been shipped to them that way, locked internally. "New TV's" -- which sadly tells me I can't expect this problem to be fixed anytime soon. I'm almost embarrassed to admit this will keep me from booking this fine hotel again but I'm afraid it will. The option of kicking back with television and or a movie is a favorite part of travel for me, whether it's business or pleasure.

Room Tip: If you have a dog with you you might want to ask for a ground floor right off the grassy areas... i...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport Beach
The Resort at Pelican Hill
The Resort at Pelican Hill
#4 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Hyatt Regency Newport Beach? Share your experiences!