“Lovely hotel”

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Being a USA travel agent, I have seen a lot of USA hotels and this one was gorgeous...great location for the beach and getting to Huntington Beach for nightlife. We loved our 2 night stay here, but make sure you book a bay view room...sunsets are stunning.

Room Tip: Bay view every time
2  Thank Larasmith1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,755)

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I'm a frequent Hyatt customer and this trip specific was a great experience, Sarah who oversees the Hyatt passport customers went out of her way to make my stay great, she was helpful with my requests, contacted me afterwards to make sure everything was taken care of and even met me the next morning in the lobby to personally introduce herself.

Everyone at the hotel was courteous and always willing to help in anyway possible.

Perfect customer service!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My girlfriend and I just stayed here for two nights for a girl's weekend. The staff was very courteous and helpful - they advised us on room location telling us, honestly, about noise level. We chose a room in the Balboa building near a very quiet, adult pool and loved it. The pool we were at, though not the main pool, still have beverage and food service. The room was clean and spacious and beds were very comfortable. We did not eat at the hotel but they have a nice bar area which serves coffee and light breakfast items in the morning (very handy) and turns into a bar at night. This hotel has a nice tropical feel and is extremely well located to enjoy all of Newport and Balboa Island. I would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Just talk to the person checking you in about room location and noise level. Balboa building faces...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I wanted to like the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach but I value my sleep too much. We stayed in the Lido Building and other parts of the hotel might not suffer from the same noise issues.

My main problems with noise include:
a) You can hear every word of your neighbour's conversation through the connecting doors - you can even join in the conversation if you want!
b) The courtyard outside is bare so noise bounces around. This is especially a problem with drunken guests saying their long "good nights" in the small hours - you can hear every word because it will wake you up.
c) The passageway outside each room is stone/brick and you can hear guests wheeling their luggage around throughout the night - it sounds like a rail track.
d) The flight path from John Wayne Airport is overhead and will wake you early in the morning (clearly this is a bit beyond the Hyatt's control).

The Hyatt can and should do far more to soundproof the doors to each room which would cut out a lot of the problems.

Apart from the noise the hotel is in good order. It is a long walk from the self-park to the reception - but you can view it as good exercise!

I doubt I would stay again at this hotel because of the noise.

3  Thank BertBantham
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed for 2 nights after we had flown in to LAX. Check in was simple and the room we had was a good size and felt like it had recently been refurbished. The safe wasn't working and when we tried to ring to tell them we found the phone didn't work either. We told them about the problems as we went out for food. On returning to our room later, neither were fixed and we couldn't be bothered to walk all the back to reception that night. We made them aware again in the morning and eventually people came to fix it all. No big deal, but for the price I expected better service. Location is OK, but not much within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I am giving this hotel this high rating because of the service. the hotel itself underwent a large renovation, so everything looks clean and modern, but the designs of the building still look a bit dated. that said, we checked into a great room (lido bldg.) second floor, overlooking bay and golf course. it was as though everyone agreed that the area would be quiet and private! we wound up with some neighbors smoking on their patio and it was coming into our room. we called to find out if we could get in another room and Ariana said she would check with management. after waiting some time we headed down to the restaurant and our server Shaun (I hope I spelled it right), was fantastic. it was our first wedding anniversary, so he bought us a bottle of champagne. dinner was great and the service fantastic. when we get to our room, we find a note from Ariana apologizing that they cannot accommodate our request for a different room, but sends a bottle of champagne and invitation to breakfast as an apology.

I had a less than great experience recently with the hyatt in boston and was a bit nervous to count on this chain for such an important day, but they came through and exceeded my expectations.

if you find yourself in Newport beach, make sure you consider this location.

1  Thank veebeewhy
Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

When i first saw the reviews i thought the resort is a typical one in a deserted area. What i experienced was total leisure in a unique resort that has a lot of attractions and events for a great price compared to rival hotels/resorts. The rooms are clean and spacious. The resort offers 3 distinct pools plus jacuzzis. A state of the art mall (fashion island mall) is nearby with great restaurants and movie theaters. I would totally stay there again and again if I had the chance to.

• Stayed: August 2013