“Nice Weekend in Newport Beach”

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My husband, two kids and I stayed here for the first time over the weekend of June 29-July 1. It was a very hot weekend throughout Southern Ca, but the weather here was perfect. The hotel has undergone a renovation and the room we stayed in was clean and everything looked nice, although it was a bit small. We stayed in the bay rooms by the large pool with the water slide. My kids had a blast and swam most of the time we were there. Friday night there was a concert on the property that ended at 10 pm ...it was loud, and the rooms next to the concert would have been affected. We ate at the Shor restaurant on site and it was good, although pricey.

There were a few problems we encountered during our stay: 1. The shuttle service to balboa island stops at the mall first to pick up and drop off. It collects more people than it drops off. There are only 10 seats in the van and not enough seats for everyone we later discovered. It dropped us off near balboa island in a parking lot near a grocery store, but does not take us into the island itself. After staying on the island for lunch, we arrived back at the parking lot two hours later to discover 25 people all waiting for the one van that seats 10 people (only 6 seats were available). Not cool. Needless to say, people were upset and had to wait longer to get a ride. 2. After dealing with the shuttle and that experience, my key to my room no longer worked because the system thought I was checked out. Had to have a manager fix that for us.

Later that night I received a nice gift from the manager, I believe his name was Roy, via room service---snacks for the kids and wine and cheese for the adults. I was pleasantly surprised and happy that he tried to make things right. It was very much appreciated.

Overall, we really enjoyed our time at the Hyatt and ended up extending our stay one more day. We will definitely be coming back again soon and next time we hope to explore Newport a bit more.

• Stayed: June 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,720)

Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Whenever I have a few days this is where I love to go. The rooms are clean but basic, but the grounds are superb. A great place to relax, but there are 3 pools, a water slide and play area for kids, ping pong, shuffle board, 9 hole 3 par course, bike and walking trails. The breakfast us great, fine bar food and great relaxing indoor outdoor bar. I highly, highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Room20
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Hyatt Regency Newport was an amazing hotel to stay. The property was situated overlooking the ocean!!
I was greeted by a friendly valet, he assisted me with my two bags. The front office staff was attentive and accommodating. My room was spacious and comfortable. It included a flat screen TV, coffee maker, refrigerator a separate bath & shower area. I highly recommend this hotel. Hyatt staff were all very friendly and welcoming. Well done Hyatt Staff!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I spent 4 nights in this hotel as part of a convention. I arrived to the hotel late at night and the receptionists told me that there is no room (even if it was arranged in advance by the conveners). So at 1AM I had to find another hotel in the area. This was unacceptable, but after 20 hours of flights, I wasn't prepared for fighting. Yet, on the following day the hotel provided me with a room.
The rooms are good, comfortable and clean. The pool and spa facility are OK and nice, but can get crowded. The gym is too small and only one machine to practice... It is well located next to a natural reserve which provides in only a walking distance, a perfect setting for morning jogging. I will recommend this hotel, but they should definitively improve the hospitality. Specially considering the price.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We found a great place for a little getaway for our family of four. It's on Jamboree which is a beautiful street in Newport Beach and the surrounding area is very upscale. Our room was clean and modern with plenty of space. There was an outdoor patio and we could walk to the shuffleboard court and one of the pool areas (there are three). Also adjacent is an ecological preserve behind the Newport Dunes RV park and we had a nice walk there and back. The pool area with the waterslide is a great size. Plenty of lounge chairs, a little putting green for the kids, a water play zone with cannons and sprinklers for toddlers, a huge jacuzzi and a warm pool. The waterslide is really fun and was open from 10 am-7 pm (on a Saturday). I also loved how the towels at the pool were self serve and constantly being restocked. Little things count! I would say there should be more umbrellas because there isn't enough shade but that is my only complaint. I really liked how the resort has lots of space to walk around and the landscaping is gorgeous and well maintained. The Balboa pool has fun couches, beds, pods to lounge in and a sand put with shovels for kids. We also liked the fancy water and chocolate chip cookies in the lobby!

Room Tip: Choose the Catalina or Balboa buildings. They are more modern than the Lido building.
Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Notwithstanding their double billing my room and trying to pass the proverbial buck back and forth between hotel and central accounting all while failing to respond to multiple emails and phone calls, the stay itself was enjoyable and the property relatively nice.

It is nice to have some free space to walk around and I would rather wake up to green than parking lots. Admittedly, their design will have your guests paying excessively in order to visit you at your hotel, but that seems to be generally acceptable practice for the area.

As for the room itself. The carpet, bed, and fixtures were new enough to make it pleasant. Most of the space in the room was seemingly wasted in their design, but that doesn't effect one's sleeping. I would point out that there are older wings that are very old and refurbished units that feel new. The actual units and hallways feel like timeshares, not hotels. Thus plan according to your personal taste in this regard.

The front desk staff and bell hops were courteous and pleasant. Some confusion with door keys, but that seems to be a 1 on 1 off experience with hotels these days in our era of no personal responsibility.

The property is a healthy size. There are pools, but all were closed during our visit. One could play shuffleboard perhaps if the equipment was available. There is a small bar restaurant that we did not partake in.

We stayed at many Hiltons, Hyatts, Crowne Plaza, etc. in a 15 mile radius of this property over the years and this was a more pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Whether I return will relate to the price point offered. In this instance, I secured this property for prices that were less than airport properties nearby and was happy that I did.

Will repeat at same price point.

Room Tip: Insist on renovated room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank B P
Scott H, Manager at Hyatt Regency Newport Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to leave us comments regarding your stay at the Hyatt Regency Newport Beach. I am really sorry to hear about the mix up with your billing, this is something that should not have occured in the first place. However I am glad to hear that your actual stay was nice. All of our rooms have been renovated now so no matter which area you prefer you will have an updated room. We have also renovated all of the pools and pool areas in the hotel. These are just a few of the things we have changed to ensure that our guests have a wonderful time here. We look forward to you coming back, and hope we can make your next stay even more enjoyable. Thank you.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

Easy to find from Orange County airport late on a Friday night. Arrived at 1030pm to find the joint a jumping with some sort of speakeasy flapper fundraising event. A bit scared it would be really noisy but everything was quiet very soon as they have notices all around asking for nightime quiet hours. Our room on the 3d floor had a lovely little balcony with a view of the outdoor event venue and the back bay.
Well thought out bathroom with decent amenities and a hair dryer. Iron and ironing board and the usual not so great coffee and tea maker. They did have ice water in the lobby infused with orange or cucumber complimentary.
Beds were VERY comfortable and super crisp and clean looking. Adequate black out drapes and funky and fun artwork through the hotel.
An easy 20 minute walk to Balboa island for the short ferry across to the beach. cloudy and overcast so we didn't use the ools but they looked very well kept and pretty. The staff in the lobby bar and the reception area were very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends