“A real gem!”

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed June 23, 2014

During our 2 week stay in the US, this was the friendliest hotel by far. On arrival we were greated warmly and told about all the great extras the hotel offers. Not only does it offer free beach equipment, towels and body boards it also has daily yummy freshly baked cookies!
The rooms were fairly basic but homely with everything you need including air conditioning. Each morning and night the beds were made and a chocolate was placed on the pillow, another lovely touch.
The included breakfast was also another surprise, with freshly baked croissants, toast, sausage and bacon rolls, fruit and yogurt.
The location is superb, you can see the sea from the hotels roof top terrace and the amazing Newport beach is metres away.
If I had to be super critical my only 2 negatives would be the room hair dryers which took ages to dry my hair and the noisy air con, but because of all the added extras these 2 points are insignificant!
This was our last stop on our trip and it was a brilliant place to spend our lasy few days, I would definitely recommend Newport and this brilliant hotel. My only advice would be watch out for the restaurants super large portions, the starters are like mains and the mains can feed a family of four.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katiebachd
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank you for making us part of your trip while you were Stateside and for writing such a positive review. I appreciate you mentioning the complimentary breakfast and the rooftop view and I've made a note to look into the power of the hairdryers in the rooms. Sounds like we might need to at least retire the one you had in your room. Hope we see you again if you ever come back this way!

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Warren greeted us at the front door, very nice and you can tell how proud he is of bay shores. This is not a luxurious hotel but if you want cozy and feel welcomed this is the place for you. The beach is nearby and they let you rent bikes and beach chairs. The continental breakfast wasn't too bad. My husband appreciated the wave and water report they post along with surfer pictures in the room.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Lololou4
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Thank you for coming to stay and for mentioning the wave and weather report. Our guests like that feature and, as Newport Beach is 'all about the water', we can see why! Hope you come back soon, thank you again for your kind words.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last week for 3 nights. When we arrived we were pleasantly surprised! The hotel is tastefully done and very cozy. Ralph, Paul and Warren were so welcoming and accommodating and couldn't do enough for their guests. The rooms were very clean and had all amenities necessary, even a refrigerator and safe were tucked away in the closet. Our room was the "Enterprise" on the 3rd floor. We were upgraded to a king room (another unexpected surprise)! The hotel offered a continental breakfast each morning and best of all, there was no need to bring beach towels, chairs or umbrellas. The hotel supplied all at no additional charge. There also was no parking fee, another plus. The beach was steps away from the hotel (120 steps) once you crossed the street. Restaurants were all in walking distance. Afternoon cookies were also a nice treat and hit the spot when you returned from the beach! All in all we had 3 fabulous days at the beach and our hotel added to our experience. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank PGA98

Thank you so much for coming to stay with us and for taking the time to leave your review. Thank you for mentioning the proximity to the beach; just a short walk across to 18th Street and the Pacific Ocean is right there. Hope we get to enjoy your company again soon!

Reviewed June 3, 2014

What an amazing find! I'll add my twopence worth to what others have said.

The service and little touches are amazing it really feels home from home - no rules like some hotels!

It's right on the beach and a short walk to restaurants around Newport pier. Parking is free and if their car park is full there is a public car park across the way which they will pay for you.

A wide selection breakfast is included in the cost, as is free wifi and beach equipment (towels, toys, chairs, boogie boards etc). They have a wide selection DVD library which is also free.

We had our bed turned down and chocolates placed on our bed each night. They were very welcoming bad accommodating of our 5 month old daughter although we had to bring our own pack and play as they don't have these.

They have a lovely sun deck where you can take your own beer and watch sunset over the pacific

Warren on the front desk was very knowledgable and helpful with regards to local amenities and recommendations for restaurants / activities and even where we could by nappies / diapers for our daughter!

If we were ever in this part of the world again we would definitely be coming back!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Afw1980
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for your review and for the great suggestion of a 'pack and play'. We are constantly on the look out for even more ways to make our guests stay pleasurable and that is a great idea! I hope your return journey was safe and uneventful - hope to see you back here one day.

Reviewed June 3, 2014

I have stayed there numerous times over the last 5 years both when business took me to Orange County or when family obligations did the same thing. This is a memorable location and the rooms were well appointed and very clean. The staff was very accomodating and the make your own breakfast fixins were great. Oh yeah, did I mention the chocolate chip cookies on arrival. Parking can be a bit of a challenge in the middle of summer, I imagine, but when have been there it is totally workable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Pismojim

First of all 'thank you' for being a repeat guest - you are a real treasure! Also thank you for mentioning the amenities and the cleanliness. And lastly thank you for mentioning the parking because it gives me another opportunity to let all our future guests know that if our parking lot is full, just swing across the street to the municipal lot, let our staff know, and they will gladly feed the meter for you for the duration of your stay! Hope we see you again soon

Reviewed June 3, 2014

This hotel really exemplifies what customer service is all about. They are super friendly and accommodating and they have so many perks for their guests. Free wifi, cookies, breakfast, parking, movie rentals, the works! The price is reasonable and the location is FANTASTIC!!! They are right in between the bay and the ocean which is perfect and they are walking distance to the bars and restaurants. They have a rooftop area with tables & chairs with views of the bay and ocean. We sat up there at night with a glass of wine and again in the morning for breakfast. Lots of flowers up there also. Just BEAUTIFUL. I cannot wait to stay at this hotel again. It has been a couple weeks now since our trip and I just got a postcard in the mail handwritten by the staff member we spoke with when we arrived (Warren). Seriously.. what amazing customer service that is! Every time we entered the lobby they called us by name. This place is just fantastic. I cannot wait to go again and next time I want to bring my little one and enjoy some of the sand toys they offer for free to their guests (yet another perk!)

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and I thought it was really nice. I don't know if the lower ones would...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Megan P

Yes, please do bring your little one next time. Originally my kids, and now my grandkids, all love it here! Thank you for your kind comments, we look forward to you coming back soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

No complaints! Friendly staff, nice clean rooms. Short walk to the boardwalk and beach. Sun deck on roof. They loan beach chairs and umbrellas. Nice amenities! Very pleasant stay! On a busy street but traffic noise was not a problem, and I don't like noisy places. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank pbk96
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2014

Funky and quaint, - I love it! I think we'll add that to our 'vintage vibe' tagline! So glad you had a lovely stay, thank you for posting your review.