Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$345
$235
  • Breakfast included
Renaissance Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$142
  • Restaurant
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$209
$199
Marriott Hotels
  • Restaurant
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$194
$164
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
Newport Channel Inn(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$129
Hotel Solarena, BW Premier Collection(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$182
$169
  • Breakfast included
Fashion Island Hotel Newport Beach(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$275
$189
$695
$395
  • Pool
Balboa Bay Resort(Newport Beach)(Great Value!)
$301
$282
Priceline
  • Pool
All reviewsrooftop deckbeach equipmentboogie boardsfresh baked cookiesafternoon cookiesacross the streetcd playersmall hotelfeed the meterwelcome cardfree beachwithin walking distancedaily newspapercity lothard boiled eggscontinental breakfastyogurt
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I needed to find a room near Hoag Hospital for a business meeting the following day. I usually stay at the Holiday Inn Express on Coast Highway, but they didn't have any rooms available on such short notice. Based on the glowing reviews I saw on TripAdvisor, I decided to give Bay Shores a try.

The location can't be beat, given the proximity to the beach and all the nearby restaurants within a few blocks walking distance (e.g. Akropolis, Crab Cooker, Old Spaghetti Factory, etc.). Parking at the hotel itself is a little limited, but they will give you a pass to use at the lot across the street if you need to. The lobby is really cool with lighthouses and other nautical decorative touches. The person at the front desk was very friendly and gave me a room--I think it was called the Boardwalk--on the lower level just adjacent to the lobby area.

The room itself was a bit on the small side but adequate for just one person. There was a definite surfer motif to the decor; I especially liked the cast iron replica of a Woodie on the bathroom shelf. Unfortunately, the closet space was quite limited and cramped, which I didn't like. I also found out the following morning that the built-in wall hair dryer didn't work. Also, the fabric on the chairs in the sitting area looked like it had seen better days. However, the bed was comfortable enough and i slept pretty well there. The bathroom was of a decent size and the shower had better than average water pressure. In regard to the overall level of cleanliness, I didn't have any complaints.

I wanted to like this place more than I did since it does have a likeable California surfer vibe to it, which certainly suits the surroundings. Still, the smallness of the room and closet space, the nonfunctional hair dryer, and the faded fabric of the chairs detracted somewhat from my enjoyment of the property. I struggled over whether to give this a three star or four star rating but ultimately decided on the former. In all honesty, I would probably rate it a three and a half if TripAdvisor allowed for that. As long as you keep your expectations fairly low, you'll probably be satisfied with this casual, no-frills, and reasonably priced (by Newport Beach standards) lodging option.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank asl492
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write such an expansive review - the comments of seasoned travelers such as yourself are always most welcome. I appreciate your observations on decor and space - we do bill ourselves as "small, friendly and with a vintage vibe", - but apologize for the non operative hairdryer which isn't part of our vibe at all ! What we lacked in size and luxury I hope we more than compensated for with genuine hospitality and look forward to hosting you again the next time you find yourself in Newport Beach.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This place was a wonderful place to stay. The staff are so friendly and helpful that we felt at home immediately. Rooms are lovely, cookies add the final touch. Wireless internet was great. We had all our questions answered with lots of recommendations for things to do. We could easily have stayed a week.

Room Tip: Sea view room was worth it.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review - I'm so glad that we could make you feel right at home! Looking forward to you coming for a whole week next time; the cookies will be waiting!

Reviewed December 17, 2013

My wife celebrated her 60th birthday on the 16th of Dec, so we decided to stay at the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel and go on a boat tour at night. The Hotel is located a very short walk from the beach and has 3 floors. We stayed on the second floor. The room was very cozy, just the right size for the two of us. Not a lot of parking, but there is a lot right next door. The hotel is very charming with a beautiful little lobby and old fashioned elevator. Warren, the owner was very friendly and answered our questions thoroughly. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom nice and the shower pressure was strong, which is not always the case when we are away from home. The window in the room opens which was nice with the weather being so mild. There is a rooftop sundeck where you can watch the sunset. There is a large selection of DVDs to borrow also, and a computer in the lobby. There is a very nice breakfast area with a separate little kitchen where you can make your own meal. They have bagels, microwave sausage and egg bagels, cereal, muffins, yogurt, and coffee. We are definitely going back there again.

Room Tip: I would get a room higher on the side away from the main street. They are doing work out there, but we didn't notice serious noise
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Braddock52

Firstly, congratulations to your wife on her 60th birthday and thank you for coming to spend such a special event with us! I appreciate you mentioning little details like water pressure, cleanliness and bed comfort to your fellow travelers because those things can make all difference between a good stay, and a great stay. We of course aim to make every guests stay the best that it can be, so if you think of any other little extras we might provide, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

This is the perfect hotel for a family vacation. They have everything you need to enjoy the beach, chairs, towels, and even toys for the kids. It's a little pricy, but well worth it. I love the fresh bagels in the morning and cookies every afternoon. The staff is so accommodating, and all the rooms are clean and fresh. It's just the perfect place to stay for a beach vacation. Plus everything you need for your stay is within walking distance so you can park your car and not have to worry about driving at all the whole time you're here!

Room Tip: Call as far a head as possible and ask for the family suite, it sleeps 6 very comfortably.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Darin C

Thank you for coming to stay with us and for taking the time to write such a nice review. I'm so glad that you found everything to your liking and that your children were able to enjoy the beach toys. I'll share your sentiments with my staff; they will be thrilled that you noticed their high level of service. Come back soon!

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and enjoyed every minute. Rooms are very clean and fresh with everything you need and are cleaned every day. They have a breakfast room where you help yourself . The hotel is very close to the beach on one side and the harbour on the other. There are bars and restaurants within a short walk .

The hotel staff are great special shout out to Warren who recommended restaurants to us and also gave us a voucher for a free dessert and will help with anything. They have chairs and boogie boards for you to take to the beach if you want to.

Newport beach is great not crowded at all and has a good relaxed atmosphere Balboa island is also very nice .They also have a rooftop terrace where you can watch the sunset.

Cannot recommend this hotel enough would go back if staying in Newport again.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank matthewpink
Fred-BSPH1, Owner at Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

We're all so glad you had a wonderful time during your recent stay with us. Thank you for mentioning the amenities you enjoyed (boogie boards, roof top lounge etc) so that other visitors can enjoy them too. I hope you had a safe journey home and very much look forward to you coming back to see us one day soon.