Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Newport Beach Hotel(Newport Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Little inn By The Bay(Newport Beach)
View Hotel
Balboa Bay Resort(Newport Beach)
  • Pool
Balboa Inn(Newport Beach)
  • Breakfast included
Newport Channel Inn(Newport Beach)
  • Pool
Sandpiper Motel(Costa Mesa)
View Hotel
All reviewsrooftop deckbeach equipmentboogie boardsfresh baked cookiesafternoon cookiesacross the streetcd playersmall hotelfeed the meterwelcome cardfree beachwithin walking distancedaily newspapercity lothard boiled eggscontinental breakfastyogurt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 13, 2011

This is an older classic "beach hotel" (well, motel, really) that has been modernized for the current day traveler. I didn't have the "WOW WHAT A PLACE!" experience that some people seem to have had but I travel very, very frequently and I also stayed only for a short while and during the off season so I didn't avail myself of many of the property amenities that were available. Every encounter that I had with hotel staff was pleasant, there was absolutely nothing wrong at all at any point in my stay, and I would return to this property especially if I wanted a few days to unwind and relax. The atmosphere and ambiance do scream relaxation!

Below are some of my observations from this stay:

LOCATION/PARKING: Easy to get to location and the parking is free. (This is a huge money saver!) If there is not a space for you in their small onsite lot there is a city lot that they will feed the meters for if you just let them know. When I stayed, there was plenty of parking. There are a great deal of things to do within walking distance or a very short drive if you're not into walking. The Pier is about 2 blocks away and full of interesting places to see. You're kind of in between the beach on the ocean and a small beach on the bay. You are right on a busy boulevard so there was typical "street noise" when windows were opened.

ROOM: Very clean, very comfortable room. Well lit and well-stocked bathroom. Linens on the bed were comfortable and the best itself was above average. It's not a "Heavenly Bed" but more like the bed in the guest room of a friend's home. Perfectly adequate in every way. In-room coffee, satellite TV with tons of channels, a DVD player, and a CD player/clock radio rounded out the in-room amenities. Tastefully decorated with a warm, comfortable, friendly feel. Large mirrored doors on the closet and ample closet space. in-room safe also available. In my room (#304) the windows opened -- one facing toward the ocean and the other facing south providing nice views of what was going on in the area.

PROPERTY: A very welcoming atmosphere that really just kept reminding me more of a B&B feel but without the B&B innkeeper constantly at your side. This place has a very "home-like" feel to it -- it's not a corporate chain and you can feel that in every moment of your stay. There is a nice, though small, rooftop deck with 2 chaise lounges, a few small tables with chairs, and some rocking chairs. There are also tables and chairs out on the common walkways to offer another place to sit outside and breathe in the fresh air. In season, I can imagine this also promotes a wonderful sense of "community" on the property.

OTHER STUFF: You can check out DVDs to play in your room for free, you can also avail yourself of beach equipment and beach towels as well. It appears to be fairly no hassle on the beach stuff, too. Just kind of grab what you need and bring it back when you're done -- again creating that feeling like you're visiting a friend's house. Wifi is also free with lots of strong signals throughout the property.

WHAT IT'S NOT: if you're a frequent business traveler this hotel is not going to be what you're accustomed to if you tend to stay at business class hotels. This is not a "resort hotel" either so if that's the kind of place you prefer you may be happier elsewhere. (There's no pool, no onsite bar, no fitness room, not a lot of "property" amenities but they're not needed -- they're all around you!)

OVERALL: This place is nice, clean, safe, charming, cozy and really has a feel of being in a home away from home rather than in a hotel. I think that's a wonderful thing but I know for some people it won't be what they are looking for. It's also a calm and relaxing family-oriented atmosphere. I wouldn't think this hotel would be the place to be if you're looking for wild and crazy nightlife and the like. I very much enjoyed my stay and I will certainly check here again for availability when I'm back in the area.

Room Tip: Call the hotel directly for assistance choosing your room. They know their property well and if you tell them what you like, they will guide you!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Susie1473
Reviewed November 4, 2011

I stayed there for a couple of days during the off season. The staff is very friendly and the ambiance is very cosy.
I will definate stay there again

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed October 27, 2011

We booked a last minute trip to Santa Ana for business & pleasure and arrived late on a Friday night so we stayed at a hotel near John Wayne, Orange County airport. On Saturday morning we drove to Newport Beach and just walked into Bay Shores and was warmly greeted by Bridgett. We were able to book a room for 2 nights immediately with very reasonable rates. The room was small but cozy & clean, more like a bed & breakfast. The beds & pillows were comforable. Bridgett was very friendly as well as Johnny. The parking lot was small so we had to park just across the street at the city lot and they fed the meter while we were parked there. The daily homemade cookies were awesome. They had free DVD rentals with a large selection. The toiletries were Crabtree & Evelyn and were replaced daily. They turned your bed down in the evening, left mints & provided relaxing music with a CD in the bedside alarm clock/CD player. We decided to stay a 3rd night and although our room was already reserved, Johnny put us in another room at the same rate but with a partial ocean view. They moved our belongings to the room while we were gone so we didn't have to. They have a large sun deck with great views. We were very happy with this hotel and would definitely recommend this to anyone.

Room Tip: Although the rooms on the main road have an ocean view the 2nd floor rooms in the separate building flooking down into the parking lot are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank landseaorair
Reviewed October 23, 2011

We flew into LAX and fortunately immediately picked up a rental car and traveled about 45 minutes to check in. Being at the beach after the long flight was awesome. The hotel was very reasonably priced and perfectly located. We were able to enjoy a short walk on the beach to get to a great restaurant. The next morning, we had a great long run along the peninsula. This really works well for us before continuing onto San Diego. I hope I have the occasion to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 22, 2011

The above says it all. Staff can not do enough for you.
Excellent service, a rare find in the USA today.
Breakfast was excellent. Clean and very comfortable rooms.
Good hi speed wifi. Sunny roof terrace, great beach 60m's away.
Special mention to John on reception, keep up the fantastic work.
We stayed for 3 nights, we could have stayed a week no problem.
Simply that good.

Room Tip: They are all good......
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple