“Aces in Orange County”

Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed October 21, 2007

I used tripadvisor to find this place, and boy I'm sure glad I did! What a great location. This is exactly the kind of unassuming and non-corporate place I like to stay in. I was working, but it was like being on vacation also. The entire staff was cordial and enthusiastic, even the night crew. They've got free high-speed internet in the rooms, and a great movie lending library. There were no extra charges for ANYTHING! They bake cookies every day. Each night I walked along the beach to a different restaurant. I'm not sure how I feel about Orange County, but it was a lot nicer while staying here. I really enjoyed myself. Thanks due to Clay for the full service. The restaurants in the area are great too. Stay here when you come to Orange County.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
8  Thank CarmenJourney

Reviewed September 8, 2007

Very friendly and helpful staff who went out of their way for us in finding a secure place for my husband's bike and setting up breakfast early so we could enjoy the fresh hot coffee and breakfast burritos before we left for the triathalon my husband was participating in at 5:30 am!! Very clean, very pleasant sunny room with a view of the ocean and the bay. Convenient short walk to the Newport Pier and restaurants. Loved our stay there and will be back again soon for a weekend getaway!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank LindsLosAngeles
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We were visiting our son at UC Irvine so decided to make a weekend of it. What a nice surprise! Outstanding and friendly staff, fantastic little touches, well-appointed and clean. A half-block to the ocean and a half-block to the marina in the bay, it's beautifully and conveniently located - and the roof-top terrace affords views of both. We had wine (which we brought) up there one night and coffee, croissant and fruit (provided) up there in the morning. Scott rummaged around and found two wine glasses for us, then spent 10 mins. washing and air-drying them so as not to get lint from the paper towel in the glass. This place is a gem!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GoAskEllen
Reviewed August 28, 2007

This hotel is near my family so it's a simple, comfortable alternative to sleeping on the sofa bed when I'm in town. I like it also because it has the feeling of the Newport Beach I knew growing up. Not a fancy place to live. No botox, no OC. It was all about the beach and the simple pleasures of living outside. Being on the peninsula reminds me of that.

Though the hotel is a basic motel, it's been updated so it's clean and comfortable. I nice home away from home, and affordable.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jamcloset
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I had the opportunity to stay at the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel for over a week in August and was impressed. What struck me most was the friendly and welcoming staff. It amazed me how many of the guests seemed to know staff members by name and it was obvious that many of the guests were return customers. I can certainly understand why. The rooms were remarkably clean and comfortable, the proximity to the beach was perfect, and the fresh baked cookies in the lobby every afternoon made it feel more like home then home. My nieces and nephew were thrilled to have boogie boards and sand toys available for them to take to the beach, and the rest of the family appreciated the clean towels, sun umbrellas, and beach chairs on offer. Overall, this was the perfect family beach vacation spot.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank csprin
Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed in this hotel for the third time. The room was great but the service was even better. The people at the front desk were very kind. Just a minute away from the beach. Couldn

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank lindabongaarts
Reviewed August 3, 2007

We stayed at the Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel for over two weeks. I traveled with my mother, and we wanted separate sleeping areas, so we booked room 100, which is a living room/dining room/bedroom with a queen bed (and I think the sofa had a pull-out bed as well), a tiny kitchenette, a separate bedroom with a king bed and a bathroom. There were two flatscreen TVs with DVD players (and they had lots of movies in the lobby we could borrow for free), LA Times was delivered daily to our door, the kitchenette had a microwave, coffee maker and a refrigerator/freezer, and there's free internet access in the room (the front desk gave me the cable I needed to hook up my laptop). The room was clean, and they also offered turn down service. Upon arrival, we found a hand-written note welcoming us, which we thought was a nice touch.

Breakfast was included, and it was ok, although I missed a larger selection of healthy items. In the afternoon, they would bake cookies and put them in the lobby for anyone to eat, which I thought was another nice touch. In the lobby there's also a computer with a printer that you can use free of charge. Some of the hotel’s other positives include:
- Free parking
- Free use of beach towels, beach chairs and beach umbrellas (the beach is only a block away, and it’s a great beach. In addition there’s a sundeck on top of the main building with chairs, lounges and tables)
- There's a coin-operated washer and dryer in the hotel, and if you need to use it, they will give you free laundry detergent at the front desk

However, the main reason for booking this hotel should be its excellent staff, and Justin in particular. He sent us pictures of the suite to help us decide if it would fit our needs, which was very helpful. He always greeted us by name, and he always asked us how we were doing and if there was anything we needed. He made us feel very welcome and at home which is important, especially when spending a long time at a hotel. I think he might be the best receptionist I have ever met (and I’m very well traveled).

So why did I rate this hotel four stars instead of five? Two reasons:
1. There was a water heater in the wall in between the two bedrooms, and it switched on in the middle of the night and woke us up. I complained about it, and they handled the complaint perfectly. They acknowledged the problem, and said that they would look into solutions to have the water heater removed and put on the outside of the building instead. I really like that about this hotel; they seem to take all complaints very seriously and strive to find a solution. By the way, while finding an alternative place for the water heater, I also suggest looking into better sound proofing between the floors in the side building.
2. The second reason is the main reason why I rated it four stars. It’s too expensive, and we felt a little ripped off even though we enjoyed our stay. This room could not be booked online as it's a suite, so I had to contact the hotel directly. We were given a 10% discount, and paid $423 a night. We stayed there for 15 nights, so that adds up to A LOT of money. In the future, I hope the hotel will reward predictability and give their good rates to people who book and purchase long stays ahead of time.

Would I stay at this hotel again? In a heartbeat, but only if I got a good rate. I guess I have to drop by last minute to get one of those.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family