“Fish and Chips!”

The Beachcomber Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
The Beachcomber Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 512 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Los Trancos
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I love this place, although without a reservation it can be a bit of a wait. The staff give you a beeper so you can walk on the beach until they have a place for you. This is a great location with excellent food. I love the fish and chips! I love all the food and drink at this spot!

Reviewed December 30, 2012

If a wonderful outing combines great food, ocean views, and laughter then look no further than the Beachcomber Cafe. Our party of four dined on Seafood Risotto, fresh Swordfish, Ahi Tuna Tacos, and the Flatiron Steak Risotto and all were excellent. Wine and a great dessert menu rounded out a fun evening. Be sure you are clear about parking lot location, and then get ready to relax, share great conversation and super food.

1  Thank pricekarla1
Reviewed December 28, 2012

While staying at the Marriott at Crystal Cove in Newport Beach we visited The Beachcomber on a cool November evening. It was a fun experience since you must take the restaurant school bus from the parking lot to the restaurant and the driver was delightful and made us feel very welcome! We were met and seated on the deck very close to the water. Now, let me point out that it was pitch black and we couldn't see the ocean but the restaurant is so close we could here the waves pounding on the shore. We enjoyed the evening and our meals, I had the beef short ribs with roasted root vegetables with garlic mashed potatoes and a port wine reduction. It was so very good and I was embarrased to have my plate removed as it was totally empty, there was not even a fleck of parsley on the plate! There was one downside.....we froze to death and there were heaters on the deck but they were not on. There were red blankets on the chairs and we used them as shawls but the wind was fierce and I think this restaurant would be much better for lunch. Our server was very good and we enjoyed the evening but it was hard to talk with the wind, the pounding surf and our teeth chattering. I do have one issue with this restaurant, the bathrooms are very far from the dining room and deck and as an older woman with a bad knee, I had a tough time getting there and back. I think someone needs to do a nice addition with bathrooms. But if I am ever in the area again, I will eat there at lunchtime.

Reviewed December 4, 2012

If you like to add some retro to your stay along Southern California’s coast you have to stop at Crystal Cove. The State Park re-vitalized old cottages from the 1930’s and allowed a restaurant and bar to serve the area.

While the restaurant is quite pricey and needs a reservation the Bootleger Bar is more affordable. It faces the center of the cottages and underlines the retro atmosphere with matching beach songs and 50’s look-alike waiters.

If those guys wouldn’t have been so self-absorbed our experience probably would have been outstanding but still it was awesome. In particular for design minded people the bar and area is a great recommendations. Besides ice cold drinks you can enjoy appetizers from the restaurant.

I personally hope to be able to return asap and combine my visit with a stay in one of the cottages!

+ lovely 50’s atmosphere,
+ awesome location at the beach,
- service could be more attentive

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The best that we have had west of New Orleans. Although with a strawberry and whipped cream? In any event, they were light, hot and the right amount of powdered sugar and while we ate we could watch the Pacific waves less than 25 yards away.
Breakfast was served promptly. I had a bit of a disappointment with undercooked potatoes however our server reacted immediately and replaced them with cheerfully.
Parking is validated and while there is a bus (1.00 each person each way), it is only a 1/3 of a mile from the lot to the beach on a marked trail at the far right of the lot, facing the ocean/PCH. You might consider the easy and pretty walk down to work up an apatite . If you want to walk uphill after eating on the return--you're good!