“VERY good food & service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Sol Grill

Sol Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Sol Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #115 of 505 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian, American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Located across the street from the Newport Beach pier, Sol Grill is your destination for Orange county fine dining. This Chic and popular dining spot serves outstanding California cuisine that delights the palate and satisfies the soul. Pairing award winning wine with a delectable menu set the stage for the ultimate wine and food experience.Start out with their signature Filet Mignon meatballs or delicious Ahi Chowder. Halibut Piccata, Rack of Lamb and Lobster Ravioli are all amazing dishes you will not want to miss.
Irvine, California
“VERY good food & service!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

OUr first time here was a great experience. We had a Groupon, which in some restaurants means a limited menu, but not here.The meatball appetizer had a reduction sauce that was wonderful. They could put the meatballs and sauce over pasta and present it as an entree. I had the filet mignon, and it was tender, juicy and overall delicious. Everyone in our party enjoyed their meals. Corkage fee is only $10, and the rest of the prices on the menu are also very reasonable. It is a very small place (maybe 40 seats) so it is a little cozy, but they manage to get everything out in a timely manner. We will definitely be back

• Visited March 2014

Newtown, Pennsylvania
“Sol's got Soul”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

Dined at Sol with our Newport Based Friends (One of their favorite restaurants).
Food and service were very good! Atmosphere is inviting with interesting art work in a relaxed setting. Complete upside surprise on a Wed Eve in March was an excellent, enjoyable, guitar player. Thank you!

1 Thank Douglas H
“Not the pleasant experience we had in the past”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

Sol Grill is located in Newport Beach CA. We went there the other night for dinner. This was one of our favorite restaurants whenever in California. I was very disappointed especially with the service.
It took almost an hour to get our appetizers. The Rack of Lamb that I ordered was not up to it's usual enjoyment. Maybe they had an off night. But I can't see us going back there anytime soon.
"And that's the way it is"
MegaBob

• Visited February 2014
mistykmiller, Owner at Sol Grill, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Hi Bob! This is the second review we have gotten about both the lamb and service that reflects poorly on us. I'm very sorry to hear these were not up to par. Please consider coming back in, free of charge and let us prove to you that we were just having an off night and not the norm at Sol Grill. Here's my email mistykmiller@hotmail.com. Please contact me to arrange another reservation.

Thankyou,
Misty
Bayville, New York
“Not as good as it used to be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We ate here twice in 2012 and I wrote a review saying it was the best restaurant in Newport. Unfortunately, things changed or they had a bad night. We made a reservation for 6 online since they did not answer the phone during the day. We ordered dinner and waited an hour for our appetizers. The entrees consisted of lamb, which was very bland, the swordfish, which was dry and the Newport linguine which had steamed clams instead of cooked and the sauce was watery and bland. On top of that, the service was way below par. We won't be eating there again.

• Visited February 2014
mistykmiller, Owner at Sol Grill, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
I'm so sorry about your experience with us! Especially after having good ones in the past. I would love to invite you back in at your convenience for a complimentary meal. I'm not concerned about the star rating as much as I want to offer you a chance to give you the meal and service we are typically known for. Please contact me if this is something you are interested in. mistykmiller@hotmail.com

Thanks again,
Misty
San Diego, California
“Wonderful food, great ambiance.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

We ate here during the busy Holiday season in December. I had purchased a voucher for dinner for four people which included a glass of wine. I am not a local so I knew nothing of the place except what I saw on their website. I knew it was a relatively small place but the website pictures were attractive and the menu looked enticing so I purchased the voucher not really knowing what to expect. When we arrived, even though the place was small, it was packed. It was obviously a popular place with the locals. Even so, our table had been reserved and was waiting for us. We were warmly greeted by the owner who was also waiting table. I was fully expecting to be advised as to what entree's we could have with the voucher, and was pleasantly surprised when she told us that the voucher was good for any entree' including the filet Mignon and other of the pricier menu items. The prices, by the way, are not inflated and are in an affordable range for this type of fare. They serve a complimentary bread with dipping sauce which was delicious but we also ordered some of their Parmesan Garlic Bread and it was outstanding. Really buttery and loaded with garlic and Parmesan. Of course we all ordered the fillet Mignon, except for my husband who ordered one of the halibut dishes. I am not a fish eater but he raved about it. I had a bite and had to agree that it was delicious. I think it was the one with the creamy marinara. The filets were superb, absolutely perfect! I am not usually this exuberant about filet Mignon as I've only had it really done right a handful of times. It can be a difficult cut to prepare correctly unless you really know what you're doing, as it is thicker and easy to under or over cook. All of us who had it agreed that they were excellent, perfectly done to the point of melt-in-your-mouth tenderness, and to order. Medium rare was medium rare and not medium. We shared a Pot de Crème for desert which was also deliciously decadent. It's a very neighborly and cozy atmosphere with a quiet elegance. They even have entertainment certain days of the week and special events like two for one glasses of wine on Tuesdays, Kids eat free and no corkage fees(which means you can bring your own wine!) on Thursdays, and Sangria Sundays (they make their own). Happy hour is every day 5-7. I am only sorry that we cannot frequent Sol Grill more often as we are out-of-towners. However we will be back to Newport for a stay over on our way to Catalina in March, and we will be sure to make this a destination point for dinner! Please check it out for yourselves. A great place. We will be back!

• Visited December 2013