“so good we are going back in a few months”

Newport Landing Whale Watching
More attraction details
Owner description: Newport Landing provides multiple whale watching trips daily departing from Newport Beach. Whale watching trips are also referred to as whale watching tours or whale watching cruises. Newport Landing offers whale watching tours from December 17th through April 30th. Along with viewing Grey Whales you can expect to see dolphins, sea lions, and marine birds. Join Newport Landing on one of our open to the general public cruises or privately charter a whale watching boat.
Boulder City, Nevada, United States
“so good we are going back in a few months”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

we took the 2 1/2 hour trip and saw dolphins sea lions and minke whales. the guide was good the boat was nice and the sea was awesome.

Visited June 2013

Denmark
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Worth the time and money”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I got a discount ticket for $15 and took the 2½ boat trip, didn't see any whales, but saw a number of dolphins. They did there best to look for the whales, so cant fault them. Was a nice trip for a break from the norm of the LA traffic.

2 Thank TerryD73
st paul
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Good whale watching tour...”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

but be sure to find coupons before going, the tour is expensive otherwise.
We saw common dolphin, a Mola mola and one blue whale, getting up close views for 20 minutes.
Well worth the time, great for kids.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank j k
Redlands, California
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 120 helpful votes
“OK for the price, Not the best...”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We had purchased vouchers from a website for $15 ea, which included a free drink. Regular price is $32 weekdays. We needed to use them before they expired on May 25th. I didn't expect to see any whales this late in the season and we didn't. We did have to pay a $3.50/pp fuel surcharge as well.

The company offering the vouchers was Davy's Locker. I made our reservation at Davy's Locker, But, when we showed up at Davy's, we were sent to Newport Landing. As we were checking in at Newport, fisherman started showing up for a fishing excursion. They were sent to Davy's. I hate it when people operate this way but what can you do. They had our money.

Anyway, as we were waiting, about 20-25 school kids showed up with their teachers. The kids were well behaved and they weren't any problem on the boat, but, once again, this would have been something nice to know up front. Bad staff, in my opinion, who just don't care. We would have probably booked another time or day had we known.

I've taken one other whale watching cruise, out of San Diego, and it was much more professionally done. The narration was performed by real grad students who know everything you may need to know about whales, dolphins, etc. On Newport's tours, the narration is done by the crew; one who drives the boat and narrates while the other mans the snack bar. The information given was adequate but not up to snuff compared to the other company I sailed with a few years ago. (side note: the kids drove Mr. Snackbar crazy-fun to watch : ) I don't blame the crew for anything. They were doing the best they could but, as a rule, seamen aren't usually the most people-friendly types. These were, once again, adequate. As it was, there wasn't much info needed. All we saw were one pod of common dolphins and some sea lions sleeping on a buoy.

Overall, a nice time out on the water but if you're serious student of marine mammals, look elsewhere. This is a more bare bones and bargain priced operation.

The snack bar had coffee, water, sodas and beer. Menu items were breakfast and lunch type for $4-$7 each.

Also, more seating would have been nice. The boat is rated for 45 people but seating for less than half. We were full and most people had to stand up the whole time or sit on the deck.

We parked at the state beach parking for 6 hrs, $9, Short walk, 2-3 blocks.

4 Thank Jeff42
US
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“teriible service, waste of time”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I enjoy short sea excurtions and take a few every year whenever I travel. So I saw an ad in the paper in my hotel and called the day before to make reservations. "Do you have parking?" "Yes". Turned out they do not and the parking they recommended to me was full, the second one was also full, so I had to find a spot on the street. "You have to be here 30 minutes before the tour." No you do not, you can check in right before the tour and we did not board the ship until 10 minutes after. The girls that check you in are increadibly rude and charged me 3.50 more than advertised price--I double checked the ad after coming to the car--no mention of any "fuel charge."The crew on the boat gives you safety info and a reminder to tip, that's their interactions with you. We saw no whales, but did see dolphins for about 5 minutes and sea lions for about three minutes.

4 Thank siberiany