“A GREAT Experience”

Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Ocean Club - Newport Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 505 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Reef Point
Corona Del Mar, CA
“A GREAT Experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I, plus 1 other couple just had a wonderful experience at Mastro's. I had not dined there in a few years and had noticed that others had been posting unfavorable reviews but I have to tell you it was almost perfect and its another example of a case where you cannot believe everything you read online.

The food was excellent ( lamb, steak, mahi mahi and tuna), the portions were ample especially the sides and the service was great but not excellent. The only reason the service was not Excellent was that the waiter had a lot going on and he did his best to get to all his tables. He made regular trips to see if we wanted to order but in our case we were enjoying cocktails so he gave us space but then it took quite a while for his return. So, If you have anything going on after dinner, you should order promptly and not daudle because "its a busy place". The cocktails are a little pricey but you are not going to find better mixed drinks and martinis anywhere. Their signature concept of pouring the drink into a glass with dry ice creates a real interesting bubbling effect in the glass that wows the table! A tip about salad, its big! If you like caeser salad, I reccomend you split it for 2 and its more than enough.

The atmosphere is loud so if you are planning to talk business or its a romantic night, this place might not have the ambience you want. If you can get over the noise, the high priced martinis and the busy waiters, You will have a terrific meal guaranteed and you will like the upscale facility and high end clientele that are frequenting this Hip locale. I would definitely give this place a try. In the summer months, I reccomend a window table to enjoy the ocean views. Valey parking is a reasonable $4 and access is right off the PCH so, for convenice sake this place rocks.

hawaii
“Unbelievable Atmosphere w Terribly Inedible Food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

I wish I was writing a different review!

Was absolutely thrilled to enjoy the evening here for our Anniversay. General Manager is incredibly professional, a gem. The dining room ambiance is a "Stunner" with really nicely done live entertainment. Service was also impecable.

Unfortunately the cuisine is all around incredibly disappointing, unimaginative, bland, and of poor quality. We started with the Mambo Salad explained a spicy style Ceasar with horseradish and wasabi in the dressing to give it a kick along with Oysters Rockefeller. I don't know how either of these dishes could go wrong, they both did. Salad was low quality greens and no flavor in the dressing at all, inedible. Oysters were the same, quite small, no flavor what so ever from the oyster. I should taste the ocean, they should be plump, the toping should be fantastic. They tasted like plain spinach without any seasonings, spices, pernot, or any of the other goodies you love bubbling on top of your oysters. Sad to the eye and a bore in the mouth.

At this point I was ready to call it a night, when our Rib Eye and Rack of Lamb arrived. The lamb was pleasant, a 6 out of 10. Rib Eye, flavorless and grizzly, almost impossible to do. The chef simply does not know how to season food, I want a deliciously, juicy steak that melts in my mouth, not happening at Mastro's! My Rib Eye was again the poorest quality, cut too thin, not trimmed well, a 3 out of 10. I didn't eat it, but brought it home for the dog. This was the first evening I ever saw my husband leave behind more than half of his rack of lamb.

The sides, gorgonzola mac and cheese, really delicious although missing any flavor of gorgonzola...not surprised. Side of Gnocchi $32, not edible, covered in a crunchy crust without the delicious sauce described on the menu, void of seasoning, trash.

I will definately come back to Mastro's to enjoy the atmoshere and some fantastic martini's, however skip the food all together. I would love to see a new Executive Chef take this kitchen over and provide the level of food this beautiful restaurant and great staff deserve, not to mention the diners....One day! $290 for 2 of us

South Florida, Florida
“This was a wow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Went here last night for a business dinner. This place is fantastic! We ate at one of the tables in the bar area. The place was happening and hopping with a very professional and attractive crowd. Each of the servers were not only beautiful but all had winning personalities.

The basket of bread was not standard. There were I think 4 different types, each one better than the other. I had the NY Strip which was very good. Not on the level of Morton's but a very good steak. The accompanying Mac n cheese and asparagus were wonderful. We topped it off with their butter cake which was to die for. Just wish I had my wife with me at this romantic restaurant. Highly recommend this place

Antwerp, Belgium
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Nice reception, cozy atmosphere, very helpful waiter, good food, good service, good portions. It's hard to find something that wasn't good.

• Visited November 2013
California
“We really loved this place but it is very expensive”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

I took my wife and eldest daughter here for my wife's birthday. The server was very, very nice and entertaining! He really went out of his way to ensure we had a great time. The food was amazing and we read all the reviews on Tripadvisor and Yelp and think they have it spot on. The Lobster mashed potatoes are amazing, especially the day after as left overs as was the Sea Bass! The three of us had one cocktail each and dinner with and appetizer. The total bill was over $300.00 (before the tip) for three of us! Very nice but the average person couldn't afford to eat here every weekend.

• Visited July 2013