“Wonderful Service, Outstanding Food”

Il Barone Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Barone Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We saw this place on Yelp and thought we would try yesterday. It is new but the chef was the lead chef at Antonello's, our favorite restaurant in Orange County. We were NOT disappointed! Carpaccio di Cinghiale, which was excellent. We also had the Trofie al Ragu' di Coniglio which is pasta with rabbit ragu. The pasta was homemade and the ragu was different but really flavorful. We never would have thought of rabbit as an entree, but here we would order it again!
Newport Beach, California
“Wonderful Service, Outstanding Food”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

Sometimes when an outstanding chef leaves a fine restaurant and opens his own, it does not work out. This fine restaurant is an exception to the rule. The outstanding couple who own this restaurant are a great team with his cooking skills and her administrative/customer service skills. Their staff is well trained and friendly. The food is ALWAYS well prepared, imaginative, and delicious. A wonderful place for a quiet intimate dinner.

• Visited June 2014

“Intimate gem”
Reviewed May 21, 2014 via mobile

We just finished another spectacular lunch. The staff is friendly and inviting, the food is wonderful. A little pricy for lunch but worth the extra $$$. I had the wild boar today and it was excellent. The tomato soup, is probably the best I've had. This place is a little hard to find but once you've been there you won't forget it. Bravo chef Franco!

Scottsdale, Arizona
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

We went here on recommendation of a friend with a party of five. The place is very unobtrusive from the exterior, and not real easy to find, but centrally located near the John Wayne airport. When I entered I was immediately greeted by the owner, and as I was the first arrived, elected to have a glass of wine at the small bar near the entrance. Immediately I could tell this was a place that was managed like the best of classy establishments, yet not stuffy.

Their wine list has a bit of everything, including rare expensive bottles, yet also reasonable table wines. The waiter gave us an array of daily specials to add to their already ample menu. I had the Carbonara, a rare find any more at Italian restaurants, and it was excellent. I tried some of the other dishes ordered also, and they were top notch, including the hand made tortelini.

The prices are reasonable for the quality of food and upscale service. We went on a weekday night, but I would imagine you would need reservations on the weekends, as this is rather a small establishment. I highly recommend it and will be going back soon.

• Visited May 2014
Costa Mesa, California
“Bravo Chef Franco!”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I have been going to Il Barone almost since the day it opened, having eaten at Antonello's and actually taken a couple of cooking classes from Chef Franco. I have seen the restaurant grow and change, the décor has matured, and the artwork is modern and understated. I have taken many friends there, and my special waiter is Nadal, who can direct you to the best offerings on the menu as well as the specials, and if they are out of something (like the Lemoncello Tiramisu) he may have something else special for you. 6 of us went for a lovely dinner the other night, one was a vegetarian, and she enjoyed the Tomato Salad, with the soft cheese. They also offered a small plate of cured olives and Parmesean cheese to snack on, as well as the garlic pesto and flatbreads. My favorite is the Veal Chop, it is rich and full of flavor, and they replaced the kale with soft baby carrots at my request. Chef Franco also came out to meet us. We had my favorite wine, which I always have (again, Nadal's recommendation) and we also had the little fried donuts (he calls them donuts in a tuxedo). One of the guests had the Pistachio Ice Cream and really seemed to enjoy it, but we had a selection of desserts, Tiramisu, Canolli, vanilla ice cream, and the pistachio as well. Everything was delicious, and I will look forward to working my way thru the menu in the coming years! Bravo, Donatella and Chef Franco.

• Visited May 2014
Houston, TX
“Horrible Service”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Food was great, the service was terrible. Our waiter was smug and he was clearly not pleased with our menu choices and let us know it. He was pushing the specials... For us, service is as important as the food. We will not be returning.

• Visited February 2014