“Trip to Italy”

Il Barone Ristorante
Reserve with OpenTable
Il Barone Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 505 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: We saw this place on Yelp and thought we would try yesterday. It is new but the chef was the lead chef at Antonello's, our favorite restaurant in Orange County. We were NOT disappointed! Carpaccio di Cinghiale, which was excellent. We also had the Trofie al Ragu' di Coniglio which is pasta with rabbit ragu. The pasta was homemade and the ragu was different but really flavorful. We never would have thought of rabbit as an entree, but here we would order it again!
Yorba Linda, California
“Trip to Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

My second visit to Il Barone transported me back to Italy. Came in on busy Saturday night and was offered a table immediately in their new back room. The room itself is gorgeous, the atmosphere elegant and refined. The service top notch! Our server was very affable and was very accommodating of dietary restrictions. He was also very knowledgeable and made some wonderful wine and food recommendations. As for the food; it is without a doubt the best Italian cuisine to be found in Southern California. The European fish was amazingly fresh. The Branzino which was a special that night was just as I remember it in Amalfi, and the veal chop which I ordered was juicy and flavorful. We will definitely be back.

• Visited February 2013

COSTA MESA
“Unfortunate dining experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

Service was lacking and the atmosphere in the back room matched the temperature, COLD! I was the first to be served my entree and my wife was served 5 minutes later. Others in our party were nearly finished with their entrees when my wife and began ours. My veal chop was too tough to swallow but it took 5 - 10 minutes to get the attention of the wait staff to complain. He took it back to the kitchen and returned a few minutes later to tell me that another chop was being prepared. I asked to cancel since all 5 other guests were finished eating their entree and he informed me that I could not cancell since it was already being prepared. He brought my dinner in a TO Go box. Extremely disappointing!

• Visited February 2013
Irvine, California
“When you get tired of the Newport experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Newport Beach is home to some good restaurants but most of them are large and pretentious. Il Barone is a great respite from the Newport scene. This is a family owned and operated restaurant with staff that has been with them for years. They will advise you which wines to drink and which specials are worth eating that night. The décor is nice and the ambience quiet. A great place to go on a date or with good friends.

• Visited January 2013
Seal Beach, CA
“Authentic Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Excellent food and service. Only complaint restaurant is small, which is nice, but on Sat. Night, felt overcrowded. Too many large parties, so was very loud, luckily we were in a corner area which helped. Next time will ask for "step up" level, think it would be a little quieter.

• Visited January 2013
“Great hide away plus great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

Quaint little hideaway with great atmospher and lively energy. The service was outstanding. The staff was extremely attentive to our needs. And we will definitely come back again.