“18% auto gratuity on table for 2”

Tapas Restaurant Flavors of Spain
Reserve with OpenTable
Tapas Restaurant Flavors of Spain is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #254 of 503 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MacArthur/Corinthian
Los Angeles, California
“18% auto gratuity on table for 2”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

I actually had a really nice night, but when I got home and started thinking about how the check didn't add up quite right, that's when I realized they accepted a tip on top of an auto gratuity. Now I feel burned. I didn't notice on the menu that there would be an auto gratuity. I understand when you have a party of six or more, but we were only two people.

We ordered roasted piquillo peppers stuffed with salmon, queso manchego style, ceviche de snapper y scallops, and mojitos. The table also had complimentary bread and some type of mayonnaise spread to go with it. I enjoyed the food, except the spread for the bread. My mojito was weak, but tasty. The fish was not as fresh as I would have liked it to be, but it was cooked and seasoned well. We intended to share a steak, but we were satisfied after the appetizers. The ceviche comes with fresh, homemade tortilla chips; and they were delicious.

Our waiter was attentive before and after the flamenco show, but was nowhere to be found during the show. This might be intentional because he didn't want to interrupt the show.

I enjoyed the flamenco show. (Remember to bring cash to tip the performers.) It had it's highs and lows. There were three dancers with varying skill levels and different styles, one of whom was also a singer, as well as three additional instrumental musicians. CD's were available to purchase, but since our check was higher than we anticipated, we said no. Of course, if we hadn't left an extra tip, we might have bought the CD. Like I mentioned, I didn't notice until I got home; as it simply did not occur to me that it was so high because of an auto gratuity.

After the flamenco show, they offered a free salsa lesson, which was very entertaining and geared toward the beginner. I think most people were advanced beginner level. They seemed to have the gist of it, but nobody was so awesome that it was intimidating.

I am undecided if I would return or not, based on how slighted I feel about the auto gratuity. I am a standard 20% tipper. I leave more if I take a long time at the table, or have small children who leave a mess, or for exceptional service, etc. You basically have to completely suck at your job for me to leave 15% or 10%. I don't have an issue with tipping, but I certainly would not have tipped 38%, on top of having already tipped the performers.

The dancing was nice, but now I feel over it.

• Visited December 2012

orange county
“Crazy people, crazy owner/manager”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

These places need to just disappear, manager to go to a psych ward and commit everyone. Really people. You have no sense of service, healthy food or atmosphere that could make up a retaurant. Never again will I step foot in there and I make sure I tell everyone.

2 Thank jesica71
Huntington Beach, California
“most ridiculous”
Reviewed February 29, 2012

most ridiculous restaurant I have ever been.they have cover charge in Wednesday afternoon to go eat in that restaurant and bad service with 18% mandatory tip.
very dirty looking place, fill like downtown tijuana and average food is around $20 plus 18% tip and cover charge at the door.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank paulyyyyy
Torrance, California
“Go for the dancing”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We were there June 11, 2011
Place is run down - we were seated at a corner where there were very large spider webs
Food - portions are OK but you won't won't get your $24.00 worth of paella or chicken on your fetucini. When my sister complained about no clams in her paella, waitress came back with a plate consisting of 2 small clams and 3 shrimps!
Sangria was $25.00 per pitcher of water down juice
Flamenco show was weak for $21.00 dollars for the show

I would not recommend this place for the drinks or food. However the dancing was a lot of fun.

• Visited June 2011
Long Beach, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Crazy Manager”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

The guy claims to be the owner, but no owner would treat any guest as bad as this man is capable of. I will not name or mention looks for respect to business, but be aware of arrogant white collar people there.

By the way, their food is overpriced and no that good.

1 Thank Aaron32648