“not very good and kinda...”
Review of Villa Nova - CLOSED

Villa Nova
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 55 & PCH
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“not very good and kinda...”
Reviewed November 12, 2007

not very good and kinda cheesy inside.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook

Los Angeles
“An Insult On Italian Cuisine And Culture”
Reviewed October 21, 2006

Overpriced, over-gimicked, and over faux finished. Villanova imitates those seemingly "authentic" restaurants one finds in Italy that actually overcharge Americans and take advantage of their desire for "true Italian cuisine." Tonight my family and I chose Villanova to celebrate a birthday, thinking it would be special and an occasion type of place. The only thing "occasion" about it were the prices. Most of the dishes are between $30-$40, with some "specials" that are "market price." Market price subsequently meant $50-$67. Since when is veal market price? Because tonight it was. What is more interesting is that the menus are printed daily, therefore they should have the "market price" for that day and thus it should be printed on the menu. (DUH!) But of course they don't if their intention is to manipulate you into thiniking that veal should be $50. Well, for these prices one should expect excellent service, fine silverware, quality glassware and even matching plates. Well, not at Villanova. The tables are pulled directly from grandma's bingo game while the plates are definitely from Walmart, and the glasware is a step above plastic. Also, be warned, the tables have an odd padding that makes drinks very, very unstable. Two wine glasses and the vase (holding carnations no less) tipped over and spilled everywhere. Which brings up my next point: quality of service. Did anyone bat an eye at these spills? Not at all. It was as though they didn't happen. No questions of "are you okay?" or "can I bring you some more napkins?" They went about their business as though this happens all the time. Which makes sense sinse it probably does when you pad tables in your garage to make them feel "fancy" at your restaurant scam. One more thing about the tables. If there are 8 of us, don't sit us at 4 two seaters, so that nobody can speak to the table as a whole. Seat us a round table, or a booth, or something that allows everyone to communicate. I could go on an on but I'll end it on the faux finished walls that look like they were on Tradins Spaces with the McDonalds down the street.

DON'T EAT HERE. We calculated that for the money we spent ($586.00 for 6 adults and two toddlers) we could have eaten at a truly nice restaurant. Spend your money where it's worth it.

3 Thank Chipoddie
South Orange County
“A+ All Around”
Reviewed September 6, 2006

This place is a perfect place to impress your date or significant other without breaking the bank.
The service is excellent. The waiter we had our last visit, I believe his name was Michael, was perfectly professional and attentive to our needs and desires. He left my fiancee and myself with a great impression. If only all waiters aspired to such professionalism as Michael.
The scene is very classy and has a sophisticated old Hollywood charm. The view of the water is something special. We were very impressed with our meals as well. All meals I have had at this restaurant range from good to excellent. I have never left unsatisfied. Deserts are great too! All this comes at a very reasonable price. I am surprised everytime I come to this special restaurant at the reasonable pricing of their entrees. I almost forgot about their EXTENSIVE wine list which is very impressive. The many wines on this list though aren't cheap and I suspect it is geared towards the afficionado. We have dabbled a bit on the lower end of the wine scale and been quite pleased with our selections. The staff is quite helpful in recommendations too!

1 Thank SvenMancrus
A TripAdvisor Member
“Villa Nova in Newport Beach”
Reviewed July 3, 2005

We ate at Villa Nova for a graduation dinner. The environment is "Old World nice", especially when seated where you can see out the waterfront from the big windows. While we went to celebrate a graduate's achievements, we could see how this could easily be a very romantic and classy dinner spot for a couple's date. We brought three kids with us, and while the children were well attended by our waiter, it's definitely not a place where one would want kids running around.

The menu is pretty much Italian, with pasta, meat and seafood choices galore. Wine is on the pricey side and they have a decent selection both from their main selection list or their more exclusive "cellar list". If you bring your own, be mindful that corkage fees can run you some $15 or so dollars per bottle (I forget the exact amount...) and they limit you to two bottles, if you chose to bring your own vino. Villanova has its menu and information posted online. We found the service very professional and friendly-assertive. There's a full bar on premises and you can also ask for specialty (liquor) coffees.

Villanova is a restaurant we would recommend to our friends and family, especially on special occasions.

We recommend: the Osso Bucco, the Plato Villanova, the Carpaccio Reggian, the tiramisu. Our kids enjoyed the spumoni dessert.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Newport Beach, CA
“If You Love Piano-Bars & Old-Style Italian...”
Reviewed January 18, 2005

this is the place. On the water, romantic, fun, older than average Newport age group. Food is good, but come for the atmosphere & to hear 'Piano Man!'