“Casually Intimate”

The Alley Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Alley Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #149 of 505 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Balboa Blvd. & Pacific Coast Hwy
Transit: Directly in front
“Casually Intimate”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The Alley is one of those places where you instantly feel "in your element." The bar is small, with an intimate feel to it. The bartenders are friendly and attentive and knowledgeable. Three flat screen TV's visible from the bar are tuned to sports programming. On week nights it starts getting crowded about 6:00pm with people just getting off work to casual drop-ins. The tables and booths are positioned into a relatively small room, but you never feel crowded. The food is excellent! The service is definitely professional with personable servers. In the past I've had items from their Daily Specials list, Prime Rib (Fri) and Fish & Chips (Thurs) and both were excellent. The restaurant is located in a strip mall along busy PCH, so I would avoid the outside dining area unless you enjoy engine noise and gasoline exhaust fumes with your meal.

• Visited May 2013

Rancho Cucamonga, California
“"Bottemless" Champagne on Sunday is the way to go”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Our party of 8 took full advantage of the "bottemless" Champagne a couple of Sunday's ago. Watching sports, socializing and laughing as our glasses never hit the bottom. Combined servers were always near by to top off our glasses as we enjoyed our afternoon for 3 hours at the Alley. The food was excellent too and I can't wait to do it again.

• Visited September 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
“Beautiful interior and tasty food”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

The inside of this restaurant comes across as an old world pub. There is tons of dark wood, stained class windows, and tiffany style lamps. The staff here is very friendly. I seemed to have 3 people serving me and they were all wonderful. I ordered the Sand Dabs, coleslaw and broccolitini. I hardly left anything on my plate (and it was a lot of food). There were five small pieces of fish with lemon butter and capers and I ate all of them. The coleslaw had just enough dressing to be tasty, but not swimming in it and the broccolitini had a wonderful garlic flavor. Wednesday is half off all wines or bring your own without paying a corkage fee. I took advantage of the half off, but there were plenty of people enjoying their own bottles. It was a bit noisy, but it was the kind of noise that indicated that everyone was enjoying the evening and having fun. I will definitely go back if I get a chance.

• Visited June 2012
San Diego, California
“Great Food at an Excellent Price”
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My wife and I had an evening event in near-by Costa Mesa, so made early reservations for the Alley on a Saturday evening. When we arrived we were a little skeptical as we entered the bar and no hostess was present. Soon a very friendly hostess arrived and we were escorted to a nice booth by the window.

The menu was similar to their menu posted on-line and upon questioning we were told that the kitchen could make items that were not listed on their printed menu. My wife started with the Wedge salad and I had the Macaroni and Cheese appetizer. The portions were extremely large and the Mac and Cheese is one of the best around. For our main courses we had the Filet and Rack of Lamb, both superb. The sides of vegetables are cooked to perfection, however if you are not a fan of garlic, be warned as the are sauteed in garlic.

We had an early reservation and the restaurant was empty so the ambiance was wonderful and service was superb. As we were leaving several couple with young children came, so I recommend asking for a corner booth if you want it a little more quiet.

I would highly recommend the Alley to all who are in the area and it beats several of the other restaurants in the area. We will return soon!!!

• Visited December 2011
Newport Beach CA
“Great Martinis and hamburgers in a "locals" enviroment”
Reviewed November 21, 2010

November 19, 2010
I went there with an urge for a hamburger. Wasn’t disappointed. Hamburger was excellent; grilled the onions upon request. Fries were thin cut, plentiful and properly done. Spouse had veal Marcela which was OK but not great. The Martini was as good as I could make myself – maybe even better. The wine selection by the glass was adequate. The bar had a young crowd, the restaurant an older local crowd on a busy Friday nite. Service was very good. The bill was very reasonable due in part to the $11 hamburger.