“Great Restaurant”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Santa Barbara
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I love The Ritz Restaurant. The food is always great, and they have entertainment on some evenings. I met friends for Friday night drinks. We had a simple dinner at the bar - pizza and wine. It's always fun there.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We dined here with friends on Saturday night and were disappointed. We've been many times over the years and the service is always impeccable. The atmosphere is a little dated but a squishy raised booth is a good place to take in the room. Even in a full dining room the noise level was low.
The main disappointment was our food. The special haddock entree encrusted in shredded potatoes was a huge soggy brick with undercooked potatoes and an overly sweet sauce. One broccoli spear and one baby carrot looked like a garnish next to the fish and all for $36. The prime rib was too big and too fatty to be appealing. It was our cheapest entree at $30. The a la carte tomato and mozzarella salad was served with three non-ripe tomato halves topped with big lumps of cheese and was right out of the fridge. Cold, hard to chew and unappealing. We were not disappointed in the warm chocolate souffle, however. It is still delicious at the end of the meal. All in all, The Ritz is just too expensive for what you get. Good service and good food should come together.
An unfortunate problem at the end of the evening was finding that the restrooms were out of commission. The hostess was currently escorting guests somewhere upstairs and would do the same for us if we would wait. Just another sour note to our experience.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

We were guests of a business associate and his wife - four of us out for dinner. Because we had never been to The Ritz before, I took time to read the reviews to see what others recommended from the menu. What I discovered was a lot of average to poor reviews. However, our host told us it was his favorite restaurant, so we made the decision to keep an open mind. The atmosphere was formal by Newport Beach standards. We started with a bottle of Pinot Grigio that had to be sent back because it was bad. The second bottle - same vineyard, same year -was fine, but was served at room temperature, so we had to send it back to be chilled. My salad arrived looking good, but as I started eating it I discovered a flat, tan object that I thought was a flat cracker. Much to my surprise, it was a piece of cardboard with print on the reverse side. I chose not to point it out to our server out of respect to our host. The rest of the meal was OK - in fact, my husband's sea bass was really great. Dessert sampler OK but not great.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

The Ritz used to be the pinnacle of dining in the area. And now the food is just OK, and the ambiance is somewhat creepy - it's like the Ritz of yesteryear has been preserved with too much plastic surgery. Or the senior version of the "Real Housewives of Orange County".

They do serve a great cocktail - a huge Martini for me and I was ready for the rat pack to cruise in.

And they advertise right there on the table, that all wine bottles are half price on Tuesday and Wednesday, which could be a very nice bonus off their selection of mostly middle to upper middle class choices, with a few rarities as well. Too bad this was Thursday.

My Ahi appetizer was nicely plated and just fine. The Steak Dianne was indeed rare, though with a sauce that was ponderous. The souffle was competently done.

So maybe those with a more nostalgic bent would like to go on a Tuesday or Wednesday.

Reviewed July 5, 2012

My mom loves to go to the Ritz restaurant for her birthday/mother's day, and we usually do lunch. The food is great, the ambiance is incredible, the people are very attentive. It does get expensive, that is why I recommend it for special occasions, typically. Valet parking is required, although it is only $4.00, and I just gave them a $5.

I called the week before to make reservations, and surprisingly, no one answered. However, I went online, and did a reservation, which was much easier, and they provided a reminder email as well. This method for reservations is what I would recommend.

What would have made it five star were two things: (1) Our iced tea should have been kept full without us asking. This could be resolved by having a carafe of tea on our table and (2) the glasses they use have lots of condensation, so the ice melts quickly. They should have brought us each a glass of ice, or asked us, when they brought our meal. But these are pretty nit-picky things; however, for the cost, I'd expect these things to be taken care of.