“A cozy surprise”

Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 15, 2013

We'd just come back from a cold day trek to Catalina Island and were looking for a spot to eat on Balboa Island before heading back to our hotel when we stumbled upon Amelia's. It's obviously an old-school, family-run bistro, with a cozy, cluttered decor that's a bit like visiting a favorite aunt's house. Best spot to sit is in the front, by the street-front windows. Back can be a tad claustrophobic. Service was great, friendly. The menu? Definitely retro, but wonderful. We had the super-rich (perfect for sharing) clam bisque, seafood fettuccini and sole, all of which were straight out of a long-ago era–but that's not a bad thing! The hostess apparently was also the owner, and she regaled us with stories of island history as we were leaving. We'd eat there again.

1  Thank jotinc

Reviewed January 9, 2013

My wife and I always enjoy going out and trying new places. This is a nice charming restaurant in the heart of Newport on Balboa island. We tried the fresh mozzarella and basil caprice salad, lobster ravioli with a baguette and a bottle of Chardonnay from the island of Sicily. The price for the two of us was about 60 dollars including the wine. Wine prices on the menu were very fair. Almost everything was 16-30 dollars a bottle and many choices were from Italy. Many selections are available by the glass. Caprice salad was good and fresh with olive oil and balsamic served on the side. The lobster ravioli was the best we had ever had. Excellent creamy butter with the bread (I have had many over the years.) Restaurant is very intimate with tables seating 2-4. Six tables are in the front room. This is a great place to go for couples and friends. I would not recommend this restaurant for small children. If you are on vacation and looking for a unique place to eat in Newport or a local, you will enjoy the experiance. By the way, you can get a local favorite Balboa bar right across the street.

1  Thank OCFAMILY4
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our favorite thing to do is to duplicate a good dish at home after we find one....but I'm not sure exactly how they make these omelets taste so delicious. Fresh Orange Juice adds to the spendor. This was a special trip to the Balboa Island that won't be forgot! I would recommend this restaurant, especially for breakfast to anyone that wants a divine taste in the morning.

1  Thank EscapehomeArtist
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I must have walked past this place a hundred times in my life. Finally, my husband and I went with another couple to celebrate their anniversary. We all like little family owned places like this. The staff was especially nice, said "Happy Anniversary" as soon as we sat down and provided a lovely dessert for the couple. Nice menu, good wine choices. We had a lovely bottle of Chianti for $18. The food was good, but not outstanding. My husband especially liked his shrimp scampi. And he's a hard one to please. Prices are fairly reasonable. I love the size of the place and the location as long as you can find a parking space, which we did. Casual dining. Attentive service. We liked seeing a photo of Franco Harris on the wall as WE ARE Italian Penn State alumni from Pgh! Enjoyable meal. Amelia's opens daily at 5PM.

1  Thank GardaGal0912
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Am drawn to cozy little Italian restaurants and this did not disappoint. Tough choice between pasta selections, fresh daily fish specials and combination platters. Enjoyed perfeclty cooked wild salmon filet grilled with lemon butter sauce ($29) & a glass of the house pinot grigio ($7.50); husband had the lobster ravioli in brown butter sauce & scallop special ($24)--very tasty. Side steamed veggies were pretty standard but good bread! Went on a Monday night (unusual for us), no wait and excellent service. Am sure it's jammed on weekends. Would definitely return. Most pasta dishes in the $14 - 18 range, seafood in the $20's. Why go to a chain and pay same or more when you can have quality made-to-order meal and charming atmosphere on Balboa Island? Concur it's not cutting edge, but who needs trendy all the time? For those (like us) who like cruising the harbor by boat, one can stop at one of the nearby public docks and take a short walk to Amelia's, which is close to the mainland bridge. Sunday brunch menu looked interesting as well (Eggs Benedict with choice of ham or salmon--$14). Most of the tables seat 2 - 4, but they do have a bigger room in the rear that can accommodate a large party. I spotted one table for 2 outdoors. White linen tablecloths, blue walls, red chintz curtains and photograph-lined walls. Small rooms add to the cozy, intimate feel.

1  Thank Julie H