“Great Dinner”

Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Riverside Dr
Description: With spectacular waterfront views and an eclectic menu of fresh seafood and tender steaks, it's no wonder Rusty Pelican has become a Newport Beach dining destination. We are proud to be a recipient of Wine Spectator's Award of Excellence for 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 - a distinction bestowed upon only the nation's premier restaurants.
Reviewed July 21, 2007

My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner and had a wonderful time. I called at 4:00pm and made a 6:15pm reservation on a Saturday night. We arrived and were seated almost immediately with a window front view on request. The staff was wonderful. We interacted with about 7 staff members from front lobby, waitresses and management that were all friendly and more than willing to please. The food was amazing. The goat cheese souffle was steaming hot with mushrooms and sundried tomato. The King Crab legs were fantastic!! and a better price than anywhere I have been in Orange County. My husband had the Mahi which he loved. We were given a complimentary dessert which was great. We have dined here many times and have never had a disappointment. I guess the key is to make a reservation, even if you call the same evening.

Reviewed April 15, 2007

We were recommended to “The Rusty Pelican” by our concierge at the Balboa Bay Club and Resort…he assured us that we would be treated as VIP and he graciously set up our reservation. We were greeted graciously by the host/hostess and seated at a great table….that was the end of “great” for the evening. Long story short…Goat cheese soufflé was cold and almost frozen in the middle, Crab Cakes had a large bone (2 inches) in it and more bread crumbs than crab or maybe it was fish in the crab cakes. (We sent them back) My husband’s blacked swordfish was eatable but very over done. Over all a huge disappointment and certainly would not recommend this to anyone wanting an upscale waterfront dining experience. This was more like a Red Lobster Experience or perhaps not that good.

Reviewed August 27, 2006

We had a worse experience ever in this place.
My husband and I were planning to have a nice dinner on a Friday night, drove to a Newport Beach and stopped at a Rusty Pelican. When we first arrived we were told, that the waiting time would be around 40-45 min. There were not many people waiting, so we thought its ok, we could wait. But when an hour past and our name still were not called, we started to wonder. The girl at front said that they have a lot of reservations and they are very busy. No one said it before. We asked her how much more time we have to wait, she said about 15 min., after waiting for another 30 min. we asked again, she said that there are still 3 more couple at front of us (we already waited for 1 h. 35 min.) We complained to her manager, but seem like nobody cared. So after waiting for a 1 h. 45 min., we left hungry and upset. It completely ruined our evening.
There were some other people waiting for their car (valet parking) in the same situation,
They waited for a long time and left without dinner. We would never go back to this place again.

4  Thank Trip24
Reviewed August 31, 2005

My halibut was excellent, I went for lunch on a weekday which seems like it's popular to the 80 somethings

Reviewed July 21, 2005

I guess some people must like the Pelican as it was noisy, crowded and overpriced just like many of the "fad" or trendy places. The service was average at best and the food not nearly as good as the prices would suggest. Many better places in California for a more relaxing and better tasting dinner but if you like noise, crowds and paying high prices for average food this is the place for you.

2  Thank graymace