“I must have hit them on a BAD night”
Review of Rusty Pelican

Rusty Pelican
Reserve with OpenTable
Rusty Pelican is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Riverside Dr
Reviewed October 1, 2012

We arrived at 6:55 for a 7 PM reservation. We were told that there would be a slight delay. That the diners at three tables had paid but that they were still sitting at their tables. About ten minutes later (when 2 groups had been seated) I asked and was told that my date and I were third in line to be seated. Nearly fifteen minutes later, when four parties had been seated, I asked again where I was on the list. She seems to have forgotten speaking to me before and said that I was third in line. I pointed out the problem and she drew this symbol "<" on the page a few times, some cryptic message no doubt, and now were we suddenly second! The salmon was very good. The sea bass was shoe leather over-cooked. I will not be returning.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

On holiday from the uk, only stopped here as I found the name very funny! Treat like royalty from the moment I walked in. Sat on the deck, and was served excellent garlic bread, drinks and fantastic main meals. Pat our server was fantastic. Food was superb and location is excellent. Disregard the last review on here as he is clearly a chef and they are always critical about other peoples cooking. Take it from me I eat in a lot of restaurants around the world and this is one of the best and very reasonably priced. Compliments to the chef!

1  Thank John B
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I'm partial to the fish and salad bar, but suspect everything is good... we've been on New Year's, and Birthday's...never let down yet....

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Halibut, chef's special, was excellent. King Crab was also an excellent entre. We're looking forward to another visit soon!

Reviewed July 23, 2012

This Rusty Pelican needs to institute some quality control on its food and drink, at least on busy nights. I ordered a Long Island Iced Tea, and it came REALLY sweet and very little alcohol. The prime rib and Filet Mignon were good-sized portions, but my wife's filet was undercooked, and after eating it, she complained of a stomach ache all evening. My baked potato was nearly room temperature, and it looked and tasted like leftovers from lunch. Besides the potato, there was no green vegetable or carrots to brighten up the plate. (Chef's rule: Always vary the color and texture of a dish.) The sourdough bread was outstanding, but we had to ask for it. Finally, the key lime pie was delicious and a good size portion, but the whipped cream on the side was served at room temperature. All staff were very courteous, but overall, this was my worst experience at any Rusty Pelican. To the manager: Restaurant work is not 9-to-5. Get your butt into work on busy nights when the kitchen is taxed to its limit, and sample the food!