“Old Reliable”

Transit: Bus Stop 4962
southern cal
“Old Reliable”
Reviewed May 22, 2012

We have been going to The chart House for years from the So Cal to Lake Tahoe and the Rockies. It was one of the great steakhouse before the prolifieration of steakhouse sprung up from Ruth Chris, Mortons, Flemings and Maestros on the high end to Outback and Blanck Angus on the low end. I guess considering the choices diners have, I shouldn't be surprised that on a Friday night at 7:30 the restaurant was not even half filled.

Some things never change. While many Chart Houses's have taken out the salad bar Newport has not. It is one of the best there is and the 1000 Island is the best there is! The Mud Pie is surpaseed by no others. The service is always first class.

Now to the entree. My wife & my son had Prime Rib and I had the Filet. We were somewhat disappointed as the quality of the beef I believe was choice rather than prime. Just didn't meet the standards of a Ruth Chris. Not that it was a bad steak, I just could have done better at Outback. It it weren't for the salad bar & Mud Pie I don't think we would go back. Next time I'll try the halibut.

• Visited May 2012

South Florida
“Excellent Food-Excellent Service”
Reviewed January 22, 2012

My husband and I split a large steak. It was cooked to perfection. We also ordered a side of mushrooms and an order of spinach. The sides were so large that the four of us at the table had plenty of each and they were excellent. Nice warm bread and an attentive server. A perfect dining experience.

Visited January 2012
Illinois City, Illinois
“Skip it.”
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Do yourself a favor, go elsewhere. Food was blah and it was very expensive. The wait staff should all go work at a better restaurant.

California
“MSG abounds”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My wife and I sat down and once I asked if the fish was pre-salted (which does happen sometimes) the very kind waitress told me that they add MSG to all of the fish. We immediately left. I did not know any other restaurant that routinely did this, other than a few Chinese food restaurants. This was a few years ago, though, so it may not still be the practice. So check first. We have had great (pricey) meals at other Chart Houses that do not use MSG.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank Artsy12
Providence, Rhode Island
“A personal touch of class”
Reviewed June 4, 2011

My wife and I went to dinner last night and had a delicious meal. We made 7pm reservations and when we arrived, the hosts were ready for us with a smile. We were seated at a window table overlooking the marina. The menu as a wide variety of dishes from seafood to steaks. My wife ordered a seared sea bass with lump crab and lobster and I had a NY strip (as I do not eat seafood). Everything was delicous and the server was tremendously couteous. For dessert, we ordered the chocolate lava cake with vanilla ice cream. Excellent as well.

Since when I made the reservations, they knew it was our anniversary, they printed up special menus with a nice message on top and wrapped them up for my wiufe to take home as a memory. The entire dinner was a delite!

• Visited June 2011