“Had A Great Time”

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My husband and I had a great experience Ashley our waitress was awesome. She was friendly and always made sure our drinks were filled we ordered several appetizers and a surf and turf burger to share. The mussels and crab nachos are amazing The new stuffers were wonderful (we had a small problem with these the stuffing hadn't been prepared yet so we had to wait an extra fifteen minutes but they were so worth the wait and we made the choice to wait Ashley informed us of the problem and offered a substitute but the view was wonderful and we were enjoying the place. The manager was super friendly brought out the stuffers and gave us a free dessert even though we had agreed on the wait AAA+++ to these guys

There are newer reviews for Joe's Crab Shack

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Yes, there is a wait for a table and only valet parking, but our grandkids loved the atmosphere as well as the food. It is always good to see teenagers laughing and eating good food. The young, energetic waiters made it a fun place with their birthday shout-outs and '70s dancing. If you want a quiet, subdued restaurant with elevator music, this probably isn't the atmosphere for you. Our picture with the "Let's Get Crackin" bib will be one of the favorite memories.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I called this Joe's two days before trying to make a reservation 2 days in advance. I was told the party planner would call me the next day. When she did not return my call, I called back the day of our reservation. The person who answered said the time we wanted (4:30) for 25 was not possible. They wanted us to come at 4 (not possible) or 8 (not possible) I told them we would be there at 4:45, that they could set us at 2-3 different tables, and that we have a tradition of eating at this restaurant every time our dance company comes to Newport going back about 15 years. The service has never been this bad. When I called back after receiving a text saying we had a reservation for 6:30, I spoke with the manager. He told me he did not like big parties and like to have a set menu when he did have large parties. He then suggested other Joe's Crab Shacks in the area. I was shocked that a restaurant would go to such lengths to discourage business. We showed up, and the place was empty. e had one waitress assigned to us. She did the best she could. We tried to be as accommodating as possible.Some members of our party did not get all of their meal, but no one came back to check to see if all was ok. My King Crab legs were pre frozen, which was a surprise, given their location. Others felt their seafood was "rubbery." The kicker of the experience was when the manager came by and again stated that he doesn't like big parties. I've never felt so unwelcome anywhere. We have a tradition of dancing with the waiters when they dance together, but never once in the 2 1/2 hours we were there (because we waited on the check...) did they do this either. There are too many great, fresh places ocean-side to go here.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It's a big chain and there were a bunch of loud kids eating there. It's like the other tourist spots you can go for dinner. It's a safe inexpensive place for a business dinner with people from out of town. The food is good but it's a tourist spot.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Sunday June 2nd. Went to celebrate my birthday with my wife and daughter. All we ask is that everyone is served at the same time with hot food. That didn't happen. My wife's shrimp came out 5 minutes after our other 2 dinners came out. When her plate finally came it was not even luke warm. Asked for a fresh plate that was another 5 minutes. Mgr came to table
.ok. When the bill came they had charged us for the returned plate. Waiter took at least 10 minutes to get this fixed. Gave him a 100 bill and didn't see him for another 10 minutes. Considering all that went wrong we felt a bit uneasy at this. He showed up and said he had to get a mgr to settle the bill. Another 5 minutes and we finally get the change. I would say don't worry about the staff dancing, get the food out complete and hot.