“Best Sushi this side of Mexico”
Review of nana san

nana san
Ranked #117 of 505 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Mission Viejo, California
“Best Sushi this side of Mexico”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have been eating sushi with Goro since before his hair turned grey! He is what any sushi chef should aspire to be: Competent, knowledgeble and discreet. He will honestly tell you about each and every piece of fish and once he gets to know what your likes and dislikes are - he will surprise you with his suggestions.

The atmosphere is excellent, the fish the best in town but dont go at noon or 6 and expect to be seated right away. They are open for lunch until 2:45 so go after 2.

I feel like family when I walk in the place. And enjoy knowing a bunch of other people when I walk in.

This place is NOT cheap, but is the BEST. I highly recommend NanaSan - and I am a very picky person.

• Visited April 2013

Newport Beach, California
“Great sushi”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I would call this place one of the best sushi joints in Orange County. If you are up to spending a few extra dollars, go for the omakase or "leave it to the chef". Super fresh and great tasting sushi with just enough rice, washing all down with some Sapporo beer. Friendly and prompt service. Small restaurant, about 12 tables, with cozy atmostphere in a plain standard OC stripmall. As mentioned, if you enjoy the premium suhi and don't mind paying extra for it, then it's good value. Else order off the menu, equally good food, for a bit less money.

• Visited April 2013
Corona Del Mar, California
“Wow- My new favorite sushi Bar in Newport Beach”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

Don't let the outside ---Strip Mall facade keep you from walking into Nana San- THIS PLACE WILL KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF. The kind and thoughtful service was a refreshing change from other Sushi Bars.
We had Goro as our sushi chef (he is also the owner) He was attentive and respectful of our choices but really blew us away when we let him recommend a few dishes. Some of our favorites included Red Snapper with sea salt and yuzu. Lotus root with Spicy Tuna. and the Kanpachi was crazy good- in fact of the 8 or 9 sushi plates we had -- all were spot on. Bravo to the chef -- We will be back soon

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank CoronaDelMarTraveler
Bakersfield, California
“Delicious without the attitude!”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Great tasting sushi without attitude. Some restaurants have the "I'm the sushi-chef, you must listen to me" attitude while others have the "this place is too cool for you, we play lounge music really loud." Not here. Just good sushi, friendly, and just the right blend of traditional Japanese offerings with the Americanized stuff we just can't live without (yes, I need my spider & ninja rolls). Just don't expect Philadelphia rolls though.

• Visited June 2012