No photo provided
Freelance Sportfishing & Whale Watching-Day Boat Tours
Walnut, California
“3/4 Day Trip”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Trip was good as usual. Used one of my Living Social Deals. Crew is always helpful and most people limited out on Rock fish, some on Sculpin. Lucky for me I limited out on both. Some tie ups from those who did not heed the crews instructions and weight suggestions, but overall a great day out.

Visited April 2013

San Gabriel Valley
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome crew! Decent trip overall.”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My friend and I bought 2-fers for our significant others' birthdays. We bought the 3/4 day fishing trip which includes lunch through TravelZoo. We ended up going on 3/23. This was my first time going on a fishing trip like this. The crew was definitely awesome, helpful, fun and friendly! The boat was well kept and I felt bad for the crew having to clean up the vomit even though the captain announced if you feel sick don't go in the restrooms or in the galley. Not sure if the culprits understood, but luckily the messes were taken care of quickly. I'm sure the crew is used to it. It was suuuuper packed on the boat and my guess is that like my friend & I (4 people total) who had purchased coupons through whatever sites the coupons were near expiring hence the packed boat and lines tangling. Although it seemed not to hinder my husband who had a good day of fishing by catching 4 fish. It ended up being an extended trip. When we checked in, I felt it was a bit unfair that we had to pay an extra $7/each for the fuel surcharge when we had no option to rebook or whatever. As Jennifer L mentioned about the unknown charges, the day did add up to a hefty spending day. So if you've never been on a trip like this make sure you do your homework before hand and ask about expenses that whatever package or coupon you purchase doesn't cover. It was definitely an interesting experience. Got to see whales, dolphins and sea lions! So that was a nice extra. It was definitely a loooong day. Exhausted afterwards! I would definitely recommend this to anyone interested in experiencing a fishing trip like this!

1 Thank Lauren Y
“Greatest charter to go fishing on !!!!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I went on a twilight trip a couple weeks ago. the deck hands were awesome and helpful . they made me feel welcome and the acted like they really wanted to be there. i have been on other charters and the crews were not as pleasant . i wouldn't go to any other place but Newport landing . the overall experience was great. i also caught like 6 sculpin and a few sand dab . trip well worth it. thanks crew of the freelance .

Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very fun day!”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I purchased a Living Social deal for a 3/4 day fishing trip and used it this past Saturday. The boat was clean and well managed. The staff was extremely friendly and fun, and really made the day exciting. They were helpful and were great at explaining how to do everything without being overbearing or annoying. I have also gone whale watching with this company and had a great experience. It was great to make friends with the other passengers and the camaraderie enhanced the experience!

There were a few negative things: There were WAY too many people on the boat to really have a lot of space to fish. Lines were tangled very easily which slowed you down when you had to spend 10 minutes untangling, though the staff was great and always helped to untangle lines. If you are going to book with this company, I would make sure you ask them if they anticipate being a busy day or a light day. Also, they did charge for things that I wasn't aware the would charge for when I bought the Living Social deal. Despite this, I thought the charges were fair and were not exorbitant, however, I wish I had known about it going into the day. Bring cash and be prepared to spend money on fuel surcharge, fish cleaning, bait, tackle, poles, license etc.

It was a really exciting and fun day and I look forward to taking another trip on the Freelance!

1 Thank Jennifer L
San Bernardino, California
“Fun day on the water!”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I went on the 3/4 day fishing trip last Sunday (3/17). We used the Travelzoo vouchers, and provided our own poles and tackle. Once we boarded, the captain and crew told the passengers that the coastal fishing had not been very good in recent days, so we would be heading over to Catalina Island! For me, that was a nice bonus, as I have never been to the island. Bit of a chilly trip out there in the wee hours of the morning, but once we got to the backside and stopped for our first fishing attempt, the air had warmed, and the view was just gorgeous. So neat to be greeted by the sea-lions and escorted toward shore by the dolphin schools, as well! Now apparently my husband and I are poor fishers, because we didn't leave with any fish for dinner; however, the total catch that day was very impressive. The crew provided lots of instruction and assistance, and were very careful to make sure that everyone was safe and having a good time. It was a long and exhausting and fun-filled day for us, and a nice way to spend time together on a day trip. With the voucher, the price was very affordable as well.