“Fun day on the water!”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Freelance Sportfishing & Whale Watching-Day Boat Tours
Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I went on the 3/4 day fishing trip last Sunday (3/17). We used the Travelzoo vouchers, and provided our own poles and tackle. Once we boarded, the captain and crew told the passengers that the coastal fishing had not been very good in recent days, so we would be heading over to Catalina Island! For me, that was a nice bonus, as I have never been to the island. Bit of a chilly trip out there in the wee hours of the morning, but once we got to the backside and stopped for our first fishing attempt, the air had warmed, and the view was just gorgeous. So neat to be greeted by the sea-lions and escorted toward shore by the dolphin schools, as well! Now apparently my husband and I are poor fishers, because we didn't leave with any fish for dinner; however, the total catch that day was very impressive. The crew provided lots of instruction and assistance, and were very careful to make sure that everyone was safe and having a good time. It was a long and exhausting and fun-filled day for us, and a nice way to spend time together on a day trip. With the voucher, the price was very affordable as well.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Bought a Living Social Deal for deep sea fishing on this boat. Thought it was a deal. The pictures in the ad looked good with guys holding 30 lb yellowtail and tuna, plus the price was discounted. However, it was nothing like the ad pictured. First there was an additional fuel surcharge and a fish sack "rental fee" that came out to an extra $10 tacked on. The cheapest parking was blocks away and that was $15. So it actually came out to more than other landings regular price that have plenty of free parking right there and dont charge this ridiculous fuel surcharge. The day i went, they packed the boat so there was hardly any room to fish and everybody's lines were getting tangled, constantly. On top of this, they didn't even have any live bait on board. So even if there was any big fish around, we had no chance to catch any. Instead, we caught these nasty little bottom fish...i don't thing any of them were over 1 lb and most seemed smaller than that. I caught 2 fish about 11 inches long, but there were no tuna or yellowtail. We weren't even trying for them...it was just lame. It wouldnt have been so bad if there was enough seating inside for the ride out and back, but there wasnt so i was freezing even though i had a warm jacket and hat, each way was 3 -4 hours, so lots of boat ride, forced to be outside and very little fishing time and the time we did fish was worthless without live bait. The only good thing about the trip was when it was over and we finally docked and im sure im not the only one who felt that way. Anyways, i took my 2 little rock fish home to clean myself since it seemed like the deckhands were wasting a lot of the meat when they were cleaning up other peoples fish and just throwing it over the side. Besides, they were not very big. When i cut them open...i was disgusted to find they both had these live little worms embedded in the meat by the stomach. It was a horror show. I wouldnt even feed those to my cat so i threw them away.

1  Thank John T