“One of the nicest resorts in America”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Ottawa, Canada
“One of the nicest resorts in America”
Reviewed June 1, 2010

We have stayed at many resorts in Mexico and the Carribean,that were advertised as 5 stars and did not shoot the ball out of the park the way this complex did.Jaw dropping views from our balcony of the canyon and the Pacific! Incredibly spacious suite with every possible amenity you could ask for.Impeccably clean and modern room.The grounds were impressive with lush landscaping and views of the ocean everywhere as the resort is situated on a cliff side facing west. Proximity of the Crystal Cove State Park a real bonus, with it's pristine undeveloped beach and interesting rocks off the shore.Beachcomber Restaurant right on the beach serves very tasty simple food.We would return in a heartbeat!

1 Thank OttawaRealtor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 31, 2010

Am currently staying with my two young daughters (both under 7) at Marriott's Newport Coast Villas. When given a choice, I tend to stay at Marriott brand properties as I find that they typically do a good job. This is, however, my first stab at one of their "Vacation" properties--i.e. TIMESHARES. I got my reservation on the Marriott Webpage and was very pleased with the midweek rate we got for the two bedroom unit.

The Good
First, let me say that the location of this property is absolutely outstanding. From my balcony (actually, EITHER of my balconies!!), I can see the Pacific Ocean in all its glory. Wow, wow, wow. We are a few minutes drive to wonderful shopping and great restaurants. Freeway access is easy. The beach is a long walk but a very, very short drive. AMAZING!! The other reviewers simply do not do this aspect of the property justice.

Second, let me rave for a moment about the room...over 1200 square feet! Full kitchen, dinning area, two bedrooms and two baths. This place could easily sleep 8!

The Bad
Quite inconsistent...lunch and check-in were a disaster and a bit rough, respectively. More on lunch later but the check-in process was disappointing. Although the reservation clearly states that check in is at 4 (I say this up front, in fareness), I was a bit put off when we came in at 12:30 and were firmly brushed off by the front desk. They agreed to take my cell and call when our room was ready but she wouldn't make any promises. Again, I don't blame them for not having the room ready early BUT I do not appreciate being made to feel like the front desk was doing me a favor. After lunch, my younger daughter was practically falling asleep in my arms (a bit past nap time!!) and I carried her back to the front desk in the hope that the room would be ready. As it happens, it was but it was clear that the front desk was caught by surprise here and had no intention of calling my cell.

Later, the front desk got a bit perplexed when I asked for a Wall Street Journal in the morning rather than a USA Today. The desk clerk asked me "have you ever done this before??" My answer was, of course, EVERY time I stay at Marriott. After confering with his manager in the back, it was clear that he could arrange this but he would charge me for the paper.

The Ugly
Lunch at the grill by the pool was an unmitigated disaster in terms of service. They staff at the bar made us feel like they did us a favor by taking our order and then promptly goofed it up. It took the kitchen 30 minutes to grill two burgers and make fries. (You need to appreciate that you are given a pager and have to go to the window to pick up your food--no one brings it to you.) When I picked up the burgers (after having confirmed the order with the bartender and then, 20 minutes later, with the cook) my lunch wasn't ready. No problem, said the counter worker, I'll get the salad right out to you. In fact, he said, I'll even carry it over to your table. 10 minutes later, still hungry, I made my third trip to the pick up window to check in. He had a salad (clearly NOT mine) but gave it to me to appease me. The last straw was having to chase down the bartender for a refill of ice tea. Ridiculous!!

Unexpected Service Hero:
Mr. Jonathon Paschke--the Loss Prevention Officer--happened to be in the store when I went in with my kids to buy some dish soap. (I couldn't find any in the unit and wanted to run the dishwasher.) He overhead me talking to the staff in the store, mentioned that he was concerned that I couldn't find any soap and told me that he would call me shortly to take care of it. Well, let me tell you, he did call but he did so in person! He brought two boxes of soap by my room within 10 minutes and came with two small teddy bears for my daughters. This is the kind of unexpected service that I have come to expect from this chain and he single handedly brought the property's rating up a whole star. Not only that, but the President of Marriott will get a letter from me when I get home as this guy did the right thing! Bravo Mr. Paschke, bravo!

1 Thank BKKandKSK
Pleasanton, California
Reviewed May 27, 2010

we just came back from 7 night from here - and this is our 3rd time we stay here, i think it is great place for S.CA attraction such as Disney(20 min) san diego(bit over hour) and of cause balboa island and laguna next door
place is always clean - never been disapointed of cleaness however the smaller pool one in very bottom side (gratto) had green stuff all over around hot tub - i think they didn't clean as much as main pool
this is all 2 beds room property so we had very roomy stay and last time we went down with my mom was comfortable
usually service in this hotel is very minimun but this time was nice...i guess doesn't take much only one person who's nice will make hotel look bette
anyway we love this place and when we go back we will surely stay here
more information check my travel blog

1 Thank lovehawaiigirl
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed May 26, 2010

This property is luxurious and generally very clean and well-maintained. The grounds are absolutely HUMONGOUS, with jetliner views nearly everywhere you go.

We had a handicapped unit, but I seriously wouldn't recommend this property for anybody with mobility issues; it is simply too big to navigate comfortably and there are steep stairs throughout the grounds.

There are four or five pools onsite (though we only used the centrally-located ones; experienced owners cautioned us that the outlying ones were cold and windy and not worth visiting). However, I seriously question the claim that the pools are heated...on a sunny day in May, they just weren't warm enough to stay in for very long at all. There are lots of chaise lounge chairs and tables, though on the busiest day (Saturday) it was a little tight finding three lounges together.

There is no wait staff at the pool; the bar is strictly self-serve, but it's easily accessible from anywhere in the main pool area. The pool bar is pricey, but the drinks and food were delicious.

One of the days we went, the "quiet" jacuzzi was way too cold, not even bathwater temperature; it was at about the level the "heated" pool should have felt like. The next day, though, it was cranked back up, so somebody must have complained.

They have a giant chess/checkerboard set and some very small and somewhat rundown pool tables overlooking the main pool. Be aware that there is NOT much shade available, so be sure to bring your sun hats, shades and lots of sunscreen if you burn easily.

The suite we stayed in was just gorgeous, with an ocean view from the balcony. Couldn't get the wireless internet to work on my netbook and tech support was totally useless, though it did work fine with my regular laptop. Beds were super comfy, albeit a bit small in the "guest" bedroom. The showers in both bathrooms were outstanding, and the one in the master bath had two heads and also a jacuzzi tub for soaking.

Just an FYI for smokers, the property is completely nonsmoking. You can't even smoke on your own balcony outdoors and are limited to the very few designated areas on the grounds.

You can rent beach equipment--umbrellas and chairs, etc.--which seemed to have been kept in good condition and were cheap at $5 per umbrella and $3 per chair for a 24 hour rental. There are shuttles available that run regularly to various locations such as Crystal Cove Beach and Laguna Beach, but we opted to drive to the latter anyway because the pick up point for the shuttle from Laguna is a VERY long walk from the beach.

Surprisingly enough for a hotel this expensive, there is no room service and no spa available on the grounds. The place is so huge that it is somewhat hard work to get anywhere from here; you really have to drive down to PCH to access any services (groceries, drugstores, restaurants, etc.)

All in all, I had a very peaceful and relaxing time at this property and would certainly consider going back again. However, I went with a friend who had a timeshare and I don't think I would pay quite the full retail price this place charges.

Boston - Denver
Reviewed May 25, 2010

If you have four people or older kids, this is a far better way to stay than in a hotel room

Apart from that, I would say this was a good place but not great.

We drove to Disneyland two days (25 minutes) and it was easy using the carpool lanes and the toll road

The Crystal Cove state park a few blocks away was really nice for morning jogs

We had one great find - Sol Cocina very high quality mexican/baja food in Newport Beach

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, UT
Reviewed May 24, 2010

Having read good reviews, I was looking forward to staying here. Was not disappointed. Amazing view to go along with well-appointed accomodations. Was able to rent chairs and an umbrella for the beach....whatever you need they seem to have it.

Normally being the amusement park go, go go type, resorts such as this make it easier to slow down and relax for a while.

Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed May 19, 2010

What a beautiful playground for the rich and famous at a modest price. The customer service at the Marriott was above and beyond. Every employee, regardless of their title, was willing and able to answer questions and offer help to make our stay exceptional. Our room had a full ocean view (Ask for a high floor) and every aminitey you need. If you needed a new light bulb they were there in 10 minutes etc.!!! The workout room was bigger than most Marriots. The grounds were spotless and constantly being cleaned. The pools were clean and not crowded.
We were 15 minutes from John Wayne Airport and just minutes to every fabulous restaurant. Our weather was only 68-70 degrees, but that is May. This is definitely our new favorite place to unwind!!!!! PS...great golfing and reasonable!!!

Jacquelyn D.

Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,400 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,206 reviews
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!