“August Stay was Lovely”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #4 of 18 Hotels in Newport Beach
Reviewed August 13, 2006

The views from this resort are breathtaking and the grounds are beautiful. We had a great time. Here's my top ten list of pros and cons:
Pros:
1. Gorgeous views
2. Great accomodations for a larger family- we could find nothing comparable in this area (ocean view- sleeps our family of 6)
3. Plenty to do for the kids: game room, teen room, ping pong, pools, water volleyball, basketball, playground, kids program etc.
4. New, clean, decorator room interiors. Large master shower and tub.
5.Easy access, light traffic and convenient to freeways for area sightseeing.
Cons:
1. We requested ocean view and centrally located to lobby/pool etc. due to a family member's mobility issues. We were thankful to receive an ocean view, but because this resort is built into a steep hillside, it was 2 very long flights of stairs to reach the pool/lobby. I was told they could move us to a unit at the lobby level, but it would not have an ocean view. They offered to pick us up by golf cart if needed. We stuck with our ocean view but never used the golf cart service- so I'm not sure how well that would have worked.
2. Check in was a rigid 4pm. When we returned to the desk at 3:56 they made us stand there for 4 minutes until assigning a room. They did this for all guests, so at 4pm there's a huge crowd lined up to check in. Same thing for check out- 10am or else!
3. Views of ocean are wonderful, but with kids and beach gear it was necessary to drive down to Crystal Cove Beach and park, then hike in to the beach. The beach area closest to the hotel requires a long hike down a winding path and then climbing over rocks to get to the actual sandy beach. The beach access a little south allows a driver to drop off family & gear and then park accross the street and hike back. The hotel provides a beach shuttle but it is not very frequent. If they would offer a shuttle every 30 or even 60 minutes, that would have been better.
4. Two nights of our week long stay, we returned late to find there were no parking spaces anywhere near our unit. We were told by the office that we should park up near the main lobby/garage and security would cart us down to our room.
5. Comforatable king size master bed, but flimsy, thin, worn-out sheets that keep coming off the bed.

We rented this unit from a timeshare owner at a significant savings over renting through the hotel directly. I think because we were listed as owners , no one ever bothered us to do the timeshare presentation.

I agree that the foodservice was pretty limited, but we got a tasty quick dinner a couple of nights at the shopping mall up the hill- pizza one night and fresh mexican another night.

All-in-all, this was a great location for a family on an OC vacation!

Stayed: July 2006
11  Thank HWlovesmaui

Reviewed August 10, 2006

We thought the views here from some of the public spaces were the best feature. The grounds and public spaces are more luxe here than at other Marriott timeshare properties but the units themselves are smaller. Ours has a slice of ocean view but was rather dark. There isn't beach access and you will find most guests at the pool area so the pool is always crowded--that's the only place to be. The pool bar is the only restaurant and the wait for a burger was over half an hour which we thought pretty unacceptable. I wouldn't really call it a restaurant--it is just a snack bar where you place an order and then wait forever until they call your number and you pick up your styrofoam box. It's a big place and right now there isn't the infrastructure to support the number of guests they have. Lots of kids, long lines at the pool grill, delays for food, etc. Beds are very thin sheets and mattresses. We were told Marriott plans to upgrade them to their hotel standard "Revival" bedding. They should because they come across as cheap motel type beds. We are Marriott Vacation Club owners at another location and had a strange feeling at this property. There was a luxe facade upon entering, but the rooms are smaller than other properties and the services are not up to par. Combined with the high occupancy and the crowded public spaces like the pool area, and no place else to spread out, it just didn't feel right. You end up telling yourself you should just pay more and go elsewhere and get better service and services. It's no deal unless you go for the cheap come-on they give to try to get you to buy a unit--have very low expectations and then maybe you won't be disappointed! Careful though, the salespeople here are some of the most high-pressure ones we have ever seen. We have been impressed with Marriott in the past in that they usually are knowledgeable, especially when addressing people who already own and who they want to interest in purchasing additional weeks--they are low pressure but here they use tricks like "buy now or this offer is coming off the table" while they sweep what they have written down off the table, literally! Don't buy it--take your time and think it over.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank topromer
Reviewed August 6, 2006

We just got back from a two week California vacation. The first week was spent with my family at the Newport Coast Villas. My parents have a time share property and they exchanged a week for this vacation.

The Newport Coast Villas are very lovely - set up on a hill above the ocean. Everything seemed to be very new and in good shape. The landscaping was beautiful. We were in the 1100 building, which was far from the main lobby/market/pool area, so I didn't spend much time up there, but from what I saw, it seemed like a nice area.

The 1100 building has the grotto pool right in front of it. We were on the first floor, so we did not have an ocean view, but our access to the pool was great. I would not have wanted to be up by the main pool (too crowded) and other units had to drive or take a long walk to any pool. The grotto pool (and jacuzzi) were perfect - great temperatures and never crowded. We enjoyed swimming at night and were sometimes the only people in the pool.

The unit itself was very well kept up and nicely decorated. It seemed very new. Everything was comfortable. We stayed in the 2nd bedroom, which was by the corridor and could be loud when people walked by or talked in the corridor, but it was not too bad. The water took a long time to get hot in the showers, which was a bit of a pain.

We ended up going to the beach in Laguna and avoided walking to the beach (or taking the shuttle). We toured the area using the Newport Coast Villas as our home base and it worked out very well for our whole family.

I was not involved with any of the booking, swapping, or sales aspect of the place, so I can't comment on that. All in all, the place was great and seems to have plans for improvements and expansions.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
10  Thank snowcraig
Reviewed July 24, 2006

The location is great. There are plenty of great restaurants and shops nearby. If you have kids, there are plenty to do on the premises for them. We stayed at the place for our girlfriends’ getaway this year. Some of us are moms so it was our 24 hours away from our children.

The check in time is 4pm and check out is 10am, which leaves you not much time to enjoy the place if you are there for one night only. We requested an early check in by phone a week ahead. They told us to come by around 1pm and they'll see what they could do. Of course they couldn't do anything until after 4pm the day we arrived. We requested for a late checkout, which is 11:30am. 11am was the best they can do. 11am sharp, we received a call in our room asking if we need help to move our luggage out!

We requested an ocean view room at an upper level. They were able to give us that. It was beautiful. The rooms were clean but lack some amenities you would expect at a resort, such as conditioners for your hair (we were told that they do not have that when we called the front desk). During our less than 24 hours stay, there were 3 blackouts. Nothing was done by the hotel to ease the inconvenience.

Overall, the location is great but the services are horrible. They definitely could use some improvements!

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with friends
7  Thank travelkm
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We returned from Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas on July 1st and were wholly disappointed with the resort, facilities, rooms and staff.

The main reason we chose MNCVs was that our family of 5 often have difficulty finding accommodations to suit us all. The 2 bedroom/2 bathroom set up here sounded perfect. I actually found the resort on TripAdvisor and contacted them direct. I had no problem making a reservation and was later offered a ‘special deal’ - 3 nights for $295 which was when I found out it was a timeshare resort. I was happy to attend the presentation as we have considered buying a timeshare. This deal plus the 2 extra nights we paid full price for ($330 - $400 per night) should have worked out very well for us.

Prior to our visit I was contacted numerous times by the sales team to confirm that we would be coming and I contacted the hotel 3 times myself to ensure that we would be allocated a room with a view. I even called on our way there to ensure our room allocation. However, upon check-in I was told “you are merely a renter; we want you to be an owner and the best rooms go to ‘owners’ then friends of owners, then guests of owners, then recommendations of owners’’ and so forth. As a lowly renter there were only 3 available rooms for us in the whole property (400 rooms). Even as a prospective owner staying at the resort to make a decision whether to buy there still wasn’t a good room for me!

I was shown the first room (#3730), view of construction site (and make no mistake there is heavy construction going on at the resort) over a poorly tiled roof, with sand bags and cigarette butts in full view immediately outside the window. Second room (2600 building) had such a bad smell in the corridor we didn’t even go in and the third room (2900 building) was at the back of the property overlooking the main road and heavy construction of Pelican Hill across the street. After vociferous complaining and front desk staff who ‘had seen all this before and sympathized’ we were persuaded to stay in room 3730 and were told that we would receive a call later that evening as to whether a better room might be available for the rest of our stay.

The call came and the next day we took a look at another room, corner, ground floor (#3810). I have to say that if it wasn’t for the construction to the left, this room would have been alright - the ocean view was actually very nice. However the room was also situated next to the boiler room - which buzzed constantly day and night. The girl at the desk told me that she had only 2 alternate rooms available and was ‘surprised that they had even put a renter in 3810, since it was for 'owners’. After viewing the 2 alternatives we decided to stick with the ‘boiler room’ with a view.

Guest rooms are mostly all reached by a long corridor. The window to the second bedroom is situated along this corridor, so whatever time of day or night people arrive, the second bedroom will hear the noise. Bearing in mind that the second room will usually be the kids’ room, this seems a strange set up to me. The corridors we saw seemed badly kept and dirty, really. We spilled a bottle of red wine (no help with luggage here!) right outside an elevator and although we cleaned it the best we could and informed the reception desk immediately it took two days before it was cleaned up. It also seems that each block of villas has some sort of ‘power plant’ attached to one end - be that a boiler room, the elevator workings or something else to buzz throughout the night.

The rooms are all exactly the same (we’ve seen them all!) just different locations within the resort and different views. The beds in our rooms were frankly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on and the ceiling must have been paper thin. We were on the ground floor and every evening we heard our above neighbors moving around. They must have had little kids jumping off beds - because the noise was LOUD and made the time we spent in our villa uncomfortable.

We were apparently in the newest block, just opened in May. The appliances in the kitchen were brand new, but not of the highest quality nor very stylish (particularly the fridge which looked like it was straight out of the 70s!) As an owner I would certainly be concerned about how this property will age over 10 or 20 year’s time.

The resort is very spread out, definitely a drive from one end to another if you're in one of the perimeter buildings. We drove twice to the kid’s pool, which was ok but not the nicest pool I’ve ever been to. The kids play area is small (litter in and around the gardens was surprising). There is also a putting green, a sand box and a basketball area. Nice, but not enough to keep my little ones entertained for more than a few minutes. The gym is apparently ‘under construction’ and is currently a very small room with a few pieces of equipment. I was also surprised to see that pre-teens and teenagers headed in groups to the pool areas on a night.

To say that you can walk to the nearest beach is a stretch. The walk is out of the main entrance, down Newport Coast Road and across Pacific Coast Highway before you get to the trail. Better to drive and park ($10 for an all-day pass).

At the presentation we attended, to add insult to injury, our timeshare salesman told me that I really ‘shouldn’t be there at all’ as the place was only ever let out to owners, friends or guests of owners. He ‘couldn’t understand’ how I had even made a reservation at this ‘exclusive resort’. Seeing as I had booked the trip direct with Marriott (and could have equally booked it through any online agency), I found this somewhat rude. On the other hand the sales presentation wasn’t pushy and they gave us $100 to Fashion Island. We ate at Roy's which is always great.

The resort really comes across as a high quality ‘summer camp’. Certainly not the standard of even a 3 or 4 star hotel. Even though we understood the premise of the resort before we set off, it still doesn’t deliver. The room quality, the resort build quality, general cleanliness, politeness of staff and service all let it down.

We were told by the salesman that even on completion of the resort only 75% of the rooms will be ocean facing. This still means that at any time 25% of the guests will have ‘non-view rooms’. I don’t know about anyone else, but if I’m vacationing at the ocean I want to see it! I was also told that as an owner you can only ‘request’ your preferred room and location within the resort. So on the basis that, even as an owner, you may or may not get your preferred room and you certainly can’t choose who your neighbors will be (because you will definitely hear them) - it didn’t seem like a great deal to me.

So following our 3 day 'freebie' we decided to cut our stay short. The kids had a blast at the beach, we ate in a couple of great restaurants and we had decided definitely not to buy a Marriott timeshare. There is going to be a new resort across the road on the site of the Pelican Hill Golf course - so we’ll stay there next time!

• Stayed: July 2006
18  Thank WA35
Reviewed June 29, 2006

The resort and the area are a little pricey, but I would definitely go here again, we had a great time.
We stayed at the Newport Coast Villas at the end of June with my in-laws who are owners at the resort. It was a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. There were 5 of us and we never felt cramped or crowded. It is a large resort, luckily our room was close to the main buildings and pool. If you were out in one of the farther buildings, it would be quite a walk to the pool. There are 3 main pools in the center of the complex with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. There was only 1 day that we went out and had difficulty finding a place to sit.
There are no restaurants on site, but there is a little market with some food items, Starbucks and Pizza Hut. You can also order some food and appetizers by the pool. There is a large grocery store up the hill and plenty of restaurants in the area.
The beds at this resort are very comfortable. My husband and I usually complain because nothing lives up to our bed at home, but we never woke up with a sore back here.
Crystal Cove State Park is just a 10 minute walk down the hill, if you drive it costs you $10 to park. You might consider paying to park though, because after a day at the beach, it's a little uncomfortable walking back up the hill. We also drove to Corona Del Mar beach, just a 5 mintues drive, and there was plenty of free parking along the street above the beach. Our family loved this beach, great sand and great surf. We went Kayaking with a company called La Vida Laguna and that was a fun experience.

14  Thank bluepeople
Reviewed May 26, 2006

We used a week of our timeshare at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas in Newport Beach Ca from May19-26. The villas are simply lovely. We were in building 1900 which has no other buildings in front of it. The pools are warm and huge. There is even a quiet pool for adults. The place is immaculate and in a great location. We ate several meals at restaurants at the Crystal Cove Promonade, about 1 mile away. All were excellent, though rather pricey. We ate at Rouge at Fashion Island. Delicious. We shopped for food at Pavillions, 1 mile away and had dinner in the shopping center one night also. Great for families.
We travelled to Catalina Island and took the Skyline Tour. Very well done and most interesting. We travelled to Mission San Juan Capistrano and loved the old mission and the beautiful gardens.
Mostly we went to beautiful Crystal Cove Beach. The longest stretch of undeveloped beach in CA-3.5 miles. Glorious! Park at Los Trancos just left down the PCH and sing theough the tunnel! There is no handicapped parking there.
A great vacation!

Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#9 of 18 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!