“Great location, bad services and bad check in/out time”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
los angeles
“Great location, bad services and bad check in/out time”
Reviewed July 24, 2006

The location is great. There are plenty of great restaurants and shops nearby. If you have kids, there are plenty to do on the premises for them. We stayed at the place for our girlfriends’ getaway this year. Some of us are moms so it was our 24 hours away from our children.

The check in time is 4pm and check out is 10am, which leaves you not much time to enjoy the place if you are there for one night only. We requested an early check in by phone a week ahead. They told us to come by around 1pm and they'll see what they could do. Of course they couldn't do anything until after 4pm the day we arrived. We requested for a late checkout, which is 11:30am. 11am was the best they can do. 11am sharp, we received a call in our room asking if we need help to move our luggage out!

We requested an ocean view room at an upper level. They were able to give us that. It was beautiful. The rooms were clean but lack some amenities you would expect at a resort, such as conditioners for your hair (we were told that they do not have that when we called the front desk). During our less than 24 hours stay, there were 3 blackouts. Nothing was done by the hotel to ease the inconvenience.

Overall, the location is great but the services are horrible. They definitely could use some improvements!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Services
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for an ocean view room!
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank travelkm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (608)
  • Korean first
Las Vegas
Reviewed July 11, 2006

We returned from Marriott’s Newport Coast Villas on July 1st and were wholly disappointed with the resort, facilities, rooms and staff.

The main reason we chose MNCVs was that our family of 5 often have difficulty finding accommodations to suit us all. The 2 bedroom/2 bathroom set up here sounded perfect. I actually found the resort on TripAdvisor and contacted them direct. I had no problem making a reservation and was later offered a ‘special deal’ - 3 nights for $295 which was when I found out it was a timeshare resort. I was happy to attend the presentation as we have considered buying a timeshare. This deal plus the 2 extra nights we paid full price for ($330 - $400 per night) should have worked out very well for us.

Prior to our visit I was contacted numerous times by the sales team to confirm that we would be coming and I contacted the hotel 3 times myself to ensure that we would be allocated a room with a view. I even called on our way there to ensure our room allocation. However, upon check-in I was told “you are merely a renter; we want you to be an owner and the best rooms go to ‘owners’ then friends of owners, then guests of owners, then recommendations of owners’’ and so forth. As a lowly renter there were only 3 available rooms for us in the whole property (400 rooms). Even as a prospective owner staying at the resort to make a decision whether to buy there still wasn’t a good room for me!

I was shown the first room (#3730), view of construction site (and make no mistake there is heavy construction going on at the resort) over a poorly tiled roof, with sand bags and cigarette butts in full view immediately outside the window. Second room (2600 building) had such a bad smell in the corridor we didn’t even go in and the third room (2900 building) was at the back of the property overlooking the main road and heavy construction of Pelican Hill across the street. After vociferous complaining and front desk staff who ‘had seen all this before and sympathized’ we were persuaded to stay in room 3730 and were told that we would receive a call later that evening as to whether a better room might be available for the rest of our stay.

The call came and the next day we took a look at another room, corner, ground floor (#3810). I have to say that if it wasn’t for the construction to the left, this room would have been alright - the ocean view was actually very nice. However the room was also situated next to the boiler room - which buzzed constantly day and night. The girl at the desk told me that she had only 2 alternate rooms available and was ‘surprised that they had even put a renter in 3810, since it was for 'owners’. After viewing the 2 alternatives we decided to stick with the ‘boiler room’ with a view.

Guest rooms are mostly all reached by a long corridor. The window to the second bedroom is situated along this corridor, so whatever time of day or night people arrive, the second bedroom will hear the noise. Bearing in mind that the second room will usually be the kids’ room, this seems a strange set up to me. The corridors we saw seemed badly kept and dirty, really. We spilled a bottle of red wine (no help with luggage here!) right outside an elevator and although we cleaned it the best we could and informed the reception desk immediately it took two days before it was cleaned up. It also seems that each block of villas has some sort of ‘power plant’ attached to one end - be that a boiler room, the elevator workings or something else to buzz throughout the night.

The rooms are all exactly the same (we’ve seen them all!) just different locations within the resort and different views. The beds in our rooms were frankly the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on and the ceiling must have been paper thin. We were on the ground floor and every evening we heard our above neighbors moving around. They must have had little kids jumping off beds - because the noise was LOUD and made the time we spent in our villa uncomfortable.

We were apparently in the newest block, just opened in May. The appliances in the kitchen were brand new, but not of the highest quality nor very stylish (particularly the fridge which looked like it was straight out of the 70s!) As an owner I would certainly be concerned about how this property will age over 10 or 20 year’s time.

The resort is very spread out, definitely a drive from one end to another if you're in one of the perimeter buildings. We drove twice to the kid’s pool, which was ok but not the nicest pool I’ve ever been to. The kids play area is small (litter in and around the gardens was surprising). There is also a putting green, a sand box and a basketball area. Nice, but not enough to keep my little ones entertained for more than a few minutes. The gym is apparently ‘under construction’ and is currently a very small room with a few pieces of equipment. I was also surprised to see that pre-teens and teenagers headed in groups to the pool areas on a night.

To say that you can walk to the nearest beach is a stretch. The walk is out of the main entrance, down Newport Coast Road and across Pacific Coast Highway before you get to the trail. Better to drive and park ($10 for an all-day pass).

At the presentation we attended, to add insult to injury, our timeshare salesman told me that I really ‘shouldn’t be there at all’ as the place was only ever let out to owners, friends or guests of owners. He ‘couldn’t understand’ how I had even made a reservation at this ‘exclusive resort’. Seeing as I had booked the trip direct with Marriott (and could have equally booked it through any online agency), I found this somewhat rude. On the other hand the sales presentation wasn’t pushy and they gave us $100 to Fashion Island. We ate at Roy's which is always great.

The resort really comes across as a high quality ‘summer camp’. Certainly not the standard of even a 3 or 4 star hotel. Even though we understood the premise of the resort before we set off, it still doesn’t deliver. The room quality, the resort build quality, general cleanliness, politeness of staff and service all let it down.

We were told by the salesman that even on completion of the resort only 75% of the rooms will be ocean facing. This still means that at any time 25% of the guests will have ‘non-view rooms’. I don’t know about anyone else, but if I’m vacationing at the ocean I want to see it! I was also told that as an owner you can only ‘request’ your preferred room and location within the resort. So on the basis that, even as an owner, you may or may not get your preferred room and you certainly can’t choose who your neighbors will be (because you will definitely hear them) - it didn’t seem like a great deal to me.

So following our 3 day 'freebie' we decided to cut our stay short. The kids had a blast at the beach, we ate in a couple of great restaurants and we had decided definitely not to buy a Marriott timeshare. There is going to be a new resort across the road on the site of the Pelican Hill Golf course - so we’ll stay there next time!

• Stayed July 2006
18 Thank WA35
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 29, 2006

The resort and the area are a little pricey, but I would definitely go here again, we had a great time.
We stayed at the Newport Coast Villas at the end of June with my in-laws who are owners at the resort. It was a beautiful 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen. There were 5 of us and we never felt cramped or crowded. It is a large resort, luckily our room was close to the main buildings and pool. If you were out in one of the farther buildings, it would be quite a walk to the pool. There are 3 main pools in the center of the complex with plenty of chairs and umbrellas. There was only 1 day that we went out and had difficulty finding a place to sit.
There are no restaurants on site, but there is a little market with some food items, Starbucks and Pizza Hut. You can also order some food and appetizers by the pool. There is a large grocery store up the hill and plenty of restaurants in the area.
The beds at this resort are very comfortable. My husband and I usually complain because nothing lives up to our bed at home, but we never woke up with a sore back here.
Crystal Cove State Park is just a 10 minute walk down the hill, if you drive it costs you $10 to park. You might consider paying to park though, because after a day at the beach, it's a little uncomfortable walking back up the hill. We also drove to Corona Del Mar beach, just a 5 mintues drive, and there was plenty of free parking along the street above the beach. Our family loved this beach, great sand and great surf. We went Kayaking with a company called La Vida Laguna and that was a fun experience.

14 Thank bluepeople
California
Reviewed May 26, 2006

We used a week of our timeshare at the Marriott Newport Coast Villas in Newport Beach Ca from May19-26. The villas are simply lovely. We were in building 1900 which has no other buildings in front of it. The pools are warm and huge. There is even a quiet pool for adults. The place is immaculate and in a great location. We ate several meals at restaurants at the Crystal Cove Promonade, about 1 mile away. All were excellent, though rather pricey. We ate at Rouge at Fashion Island. Delicious. We shopped for food at Pavillions, 1 mile away and had dinner in the shopping center one night also. Great for families.
We travelled to Catalina Island and took the Skyline Tour. Very well done and most interesting. We travelled to Mission San Juan Capistrano and loved the old mission and the beautiful gardens.
Mostly we went to beautiful Crystal Cove Beach. The longest stretch of undeveloped beach in CA-3.5 miles. Glorious! Park at Los Trancos just left down the PCH and sing theough the tunnel! There is no handicapped parking there.
A great vacation!

20 Thank ccadvice
Gorham, Maine
Reviewed April 22, 2006

My wife, two teenage boys and I stayed at NCV during the holiday week. We are owners at Marriott’s Grande Vista in Orlando and found this resort to be very comparable. The units are smaller, which shows in the dining, lack of a pantry closet in the kitchen and any storage closet, but the living room and master bedroom is quite roomy. The grounds were beautiful. We stayed in unit 2520, which was an end unit. It had a nice view of the ocean and it was quiet. I would mention that the unit has no immediate parking, so we parked near another building and walked. No big deal for us, but for anyone with an ambulatory problem it could be an issue. For that matter, being located on the side of a hill like it is, the whole NCV complex would be difficult for anyone who does not do stairs very well. Complex is close to Newport Beaches. We went to Corona Del Mar Beach, which was very nice. I will note for others that the bathrooms at this beach are being renovated, and there was no sign directing one to the portables tucked around back. We did not see them until we were leaving the beach for the day. Our unit was located about half-way between the main pool, which is where the bar and only on-site restaurant was located, and one of the smaller pools, which was very quiet. My wife and I preferred the smaller, quiet pool, while the boys went to the main pool

Only maintenance issue I had was with the gas grill. I could only get one burner to light and the other one near our unit was in use. I called maintenance and someone came within 5 minutes with a hand lighter and got the burners lit. Those auto-sparkers on gas grills never work for very long anyway, so I don’t blame the resort.

I would recommend renting a small power boat or electric boat at the FunZone to see Newport Harbor ($65 for 90 minutes). We saw amazing homes and yachts. Another tidbit for members is to call Bandara’s Restaurant in Newport Beach for one of their rotisserie chickens and the sides. It easily fed the four of us for $30 and was absolutely delicious. For groceries, I would recommend Pavilions up the hill a couple miles vs. Albertsons down in Newport Beach. Much newer, better selection and if you tell them you are staying at NCV you get a significant discount.

I had one complaint about the resort staff. The concierge desk is manned by folks who also sell time shares. While not high pressure, their interest seems more attuned to making sure you attend the sales pitch than helping with more typical concierge tasks. For example, the day before we were to leave we were on an Hollywood Tour for the day. We asked the concierge at the desk that morning to go online at 1:00 P.M. and print off our boarding passes (we were flying Southwest and wanted to be in the A boarding queue). He agreed and said we would call my cell to confirm. As the day went on I never got a call, so I called him. I was informed that he had gone home early. I asked the person that answered if they could take care of it for me. They agreed, and said they would leave the passes at the desk. We got back from L.A. early evening. No boarding passes to be found anywhere at the concierge desk, the registration desk or the sales office. Basically, nothing had been done on our behalf, so we got our boarding passes that evening ourselves, and wound up queued in B.

All in all a very nice place to visit, excellent resort and well located to attractions in L.A. and San Diego. We were very pleased with our visit.

• Stayed April 2006
25 Thank cornbread35
los angeles, ca
Reviewed April 13, 2006

We just returned from staying here. I must report that many of the criticisms of prior reviewers have been rectified. There is wireless internet. The restaurant around the pool has longer hours. The front desk staff were friendly (almost too friendly to the point where i didn't feel it was sincere, but i may be a skeptic). We had a great room, very comfortable, with an ocean view and quiet. It rained very heavily the entire time we were there, but that wasn't their fault. We lazied around the room, not waking up and getting out of the room until about 1 or 1:30 p.m. Based on prior reviews, we assumed they would not clean our room (we were "hotel visitors" not owners, so we were provided cleaning service at no charge). To our surprise, when we returned to the room around 5:30 p.m., after a movie, the room was cleaned.

Criticisms (there are always some):

1. Tiles in the hallways and bathrooms are very slippery when wet (i've reported this to them). Be careful not to trip and hurt yourself.

2. While some like the fact that you can watch TV from the oversized tub in the master, be aware that there is no separation of the bathtub from the rest of the master bedroom, so while you can see the TV from the tub, people in the master can watch you bathe.

3. Front desk told us, when we checked in early, that room would be ready in 20 minutes. We wandered around the grounds for about 45 minutes, giving a margin of error, and returned to the front desk to be told again that the room would be ready in 20 minutes. We were trying to check in early, but if they had given us the true answer, we could have gone out to lunch, rather than wasting time wandering around.

4. Check out time is rigidly enforced as 10 a.m. Much too early. I know they have to clean the rooms for the next guests, but it would be nice to have a later check out time.

Compliments:

1. Rooms are very nice, very well equiped, and very comfortable. Enough room for family of six or more. Master is king bed, other bedroom has queen bed and pull out couch (can sleep two in the pull out couch if they are small) and the couch in the living room will probably sleep 2 comfortably (we never opened it).

2. Nice large pools, nice jacuzzis (but filled with teenagers at night).

3. Close to everything, from Trader Joes (great natural and healthy market, for those of you who don't know them) to Pavillions market (upscale safeway market; the front desk clerk said you get a discount there if you mention that you are staying at the hotel, but i'm not sure if that is just that you get "club" prices offered to anyone who joins the market's free club).

4. Very pretty grounds and landscaping.

5. We didn't take the time share tour, there was no pressure to do so, so i can't comment on that.

We would likely stay there again in the future, since we got a good price ($240 per night for 2 bedroom unit). Great family vacation resort.

Enjoy

• Stayed April 2006
29 Thank wilshireguy
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed April 10, 2006

It couldn't have been a better place to stay. With a family of 5 we were very comfortable with the accomodations. This is a 5 Star facility! The insulation of the units was excellent (didn't ever hear any neighbors), the quality of construction and appointments inside the units was very good as well.

A couple of suggestions that Marriott should take in regards to this property would include: (1) Improve the wireless Internet access.....even with the "booster" that the front desk provides, the access was only intermittent at best with an Apple Powerbook G4, (2) Provide pool wait staff that would service you while at the pool, (3) Give people - at "Check In" - directions to the local grocery stores (i.e. Albertson's, Trader Joe's, Gelson's).

I'd challenge anyone to go to the Four Season's (Dana Point) and find better accomodations. Keep up the great job Marriott - You own this business!

13 Thank Dan W
Island Hotel Newport Beach
Island Hotel Newport Beach
#3 of 17 in Newport Beach
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
Newport Beach Marriott Bayview
#9 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!