“Can't wait to go back - we loved our stay at MNCV!!!”

Marriott's Newport Coast Villas
Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in Newport Beach
Boston
“Can't wait to go back - we loved our stay at MNCV!!!”
Reviewed March 14, 2009

Just got back from a week stay at the Marriot Newport Coast Villas and had a wonderful time! The hotel is perched on the side of a hill overlooking the pacific ocean. The grounds and buildings were beautifully designed. We are timeshare owners in Aruba and got this as an exchange through Interval International. We were lucky and got a villa (#3020) with a nice view of the ocean. Each night we could see a beautiful sunset from our balcony!

Our villa was spacious and clean:
The MASTER bedroom had a plush king size bed, soaking tub, TV, and double sinks in the same room; a huge glass panel stand up shower (with 2 heads) and toilet were also part of the master in an adjoining room.
The 2ND bedroom had a plush queen size bed, a comfortable pull out sofa, TV, and a door that leads you into the 2nd/main bathroom.
There was a full kitchen with all cooking & dining ware provided; a dining area that seats 8; and a living room with TV & pull out sofa. It was all connected and open - great when in the kitchen and able to keep an eye on the kiddies playing in the living room! A washer and dryer in the villa as well which was great to have - pack lightly and do your wash there! Daily housekeeping was provided at a fee but could opt not to do this and call whenever you needed fresh towels or linens.

There are 4 heated swimming pools, 3 hot tubs and 1 kiddie pool, a small putting green, basketball court, playground, fitness center, spa, teen/arcade zone on the property. The pool bar was under construction while we were there but didn't seem like it bothered anyone. Parking wasn't a problem for us as the lot/garage was on the same level as our villa. I understand there are no elevators so staying in a 3rd or 4th floor villa will require stair cllimbing.

The beach is nearby but would require you to drive there. There is a Pavilions, Albertsons and Trader Joe's close by for all your food shopping too.

We loved our stay at MNCV and looking forward to returning someday soon!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank arubabeachbum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Korean first
Westchester County, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We spent a week at Newport Coast Villas in mid February, 2009 on a time share exchange. We stayed at a unit in the 2700’s. The Unit was fine. We had no complaints and were satisfied with everything in the Unit. We felt like we were in an upscale apartment instead of a hotel. There was a washer and dryer. The kitchen facilities are very good for breakfast/lunch and heating up meals. The unit was very spacious. It had two big bedrooms, two bathrooms, one of which had a tub, a large living room, a kitchen with a lot of counter space, three TVs and a patio with chairs and a table. Each building has an outdoor gas grill you can use for cooking. We had a limited ocean view from the unit. There was free WiFi.

There are two separate pool areas (with hot tubs that you can use until 10:30 at night), tennis courts, and two gyms. Parking was no problem. It was easy to park near the unit, even though there was full occupancy due to Valentine’s day and President’s Week.

The complex is rather large and is on a hill. We did a little bit of walking to get from our Units to the main building or the pools, etc. We didn’t mind because the grounds are very pretty and we got views of the ocean while walking. If walking is a problem for you, there are golf carts that will transport you.

It rained one day and was overcast for 2 or 3 other days. We had four nice and sunny days. It was always cold at night (down to the 40’s, so make sure you bring a sweater/sweatshirt or winter jacket.).

There is a lot to do in the area. You will need a car. Some of the things we did included:

1. Hiked at Crystal Cove Beach. You can either walk along the beach or hike in the hills. (You can pick up a parking pass for Crystal Cove Beach from the Activity Center.)
2. Hiked and sunned ourselves at Laguna Beach.
3. Sunned ourselves at Huntington Beach and watched the surfers from the pier.
4. Went dolphin watching on a catamaran at Dana Point with Capt. Dave’s Dolphin & Whale Safari. I recommend this. (See my entry for Capt. Dave Safari on Trip Advisor)
5. Drove to San Diego Zoo. We chose the Zoo over the Wild Animal Park because we wanted to see the pandas and the koalas. I recommend you visit one or both. You can’t see both in one day.
6. Went to Newport Beach for many meals. I was not particularly impressed with the touristy parts of Newport Beach, such as the Fun Zone and the ferry, or with walking on Balboa Island. If the weather were a little better and we had more time, I would have gone bike-riding or kayaking by the bay in Newport Beach.

There are a lot of good restaurants in the area. We did not have a bad meal. Among the places we ate were: If Farro Caffee in Newport Breach (the food and waiter were very good), Five Crowns in Corona del Mar (specialty is prime ribs—the food and waiter were very good.) Rudy’s for breakfast in Newport Beach, Newport Beach Brewing (for a quick dinner), Il Gelato Caffe in Newport Beach, (for a late dinner and snack), Zinc Café in Laguna Beach (for breakfast), C’est la Vie in Laguna beach (for lunch), PF Chang’s at Fashion Island (we went because our daughter wanted to go there. I expected it to be mediocre, since we love going to Chinatown and Flushing in NYC, but I was surprised to find that the food wasn’t bad.) and Simply Fondue (in San Juan Capistrano).

We were with our 15 year old daughter, who loves to shop. We went to Fashion Island and the Spectrum, which are upscale malls that had much the same stores that we find in Westchester County, New York. Apparently, South Coast Plaza is an even more upscale mall nearby. One difference we found was that in Orange County the malls were outdoors, while in New York they are indoors. We spent the days before and after our vacation in LA. While there, we shopped at the Promenade in Santa Monica, which was fun because the street is closed to motor vehicles, and the Farmer’s Market, which was fun and had a large number of food vendors selling all different kinds of cuisines. We also went to the Getty Center, which is an excellent museum, and well worth a day trip from Newport Beach, if this will be your only chance to see it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank bunkhedena
Sacramento, California
Reviewed February 19, 2009

We loved our stay at the Marriott Villas! Great for our group of 4. Lots of space to spread out, enjoy the views, drink wine on the deck with appetizers we bought at Trader Joe's down the street, on and on. We did our laundry right in our Villa during our 5 night stay.... we won't have to bring a lot of clothes next time! Maybe our #2523 unit was one of the originally built units... so no flat screen TV... but who really cares with so much to do? Afterall.....there were 3 TVs! Almost one per person! You could cook some of your meals in the fully equipped kitchen...dishes , pans, utensils, wine glasses. There's a full-size frig, oven, micro, dishwasher, granite countertops. We bought some good coffee at Trader Joe's...they only provided coffee for the first day.
Free high-speed wireless internet , free parking and cereal in your Villa can save a family some real money.
My only regret was I should have brought bubble bath for the big tub! Oh well I guess you could drive over to Fashion Island and pick some up! It's about 10 minutes away! FYI.....don't miss the Sprinkles cupcakes shop at the Corona Del Mar center 10 minutes from the Marriott!
You will enjoy the grounds and the central location on the Orange Coast!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Freedomrings
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed February 3, 2009

This was my first time to stay at this property. I am a Platinum Elite Marriott Rewards member but that means literally nothing to the staff here. Acceptably, this property is a time share vacation club and the fact gets mentioned and emphasized many times whenever you check out something with the front desk. So if anyone is staying here and expecting special treatment or perks because of their elite status, then they are in for a big disappointment. Even getting a villa on a higher floor is not possible as most of the best villas are only for the owners and guest have to make do with whatever is left available.
Having said that, we enjoyed ourselves nevertheless very much in this luxury upscale property. We drove from LAX and the journey takes about an hour depending upon the traffic which is bad for most of the time.
For me, the “never go lost” GPS was a real blessing and I just cannot drive without it now. There are 2 approaches to the hotel, one via a toll free road and the other to avoid it. The toll is pricey at about 5 dollars each entry.
The property is located atop a hill and the views are great. We arrived at night time and it was only after waking up in the morning did we fully appreciate the fantastic views. We had a villa on the outer section so we got a partial ocean view and view of the main building- villa 3510. We had been lucky to get a parking space every time but it can be quite difficult at times. There are luggage trolleys available near the elevators to take your bags.
The villa was tastefully decorated and has a good size living room and dining area with a full kitchen as well as a washer/ dryer in a closet- a real benefit when traveling with kids. This space is connected to a bedroom from each end and each bedroom is ensuite- the master having a Jacuzzi tub in the bedroom area- something I really don’t like very much and prefer it to be in the bathroom. There is a small balcony from the living room where you can enjoy the view – of you have one.
Housekeeping is provided free for guests and is charged for owners. Free wireless internet was handy as well as free parking. There are no convenience stores or restaurants in walking distance and you would really be foolish to stay here without a car. The area is beautiful and a short drive to Newport Beach and Laguna Beach brings you to lots of beautiful ships and restaurants.
Overall we had a great time and look forward to return to this property again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank DXBDOC
Connecticut
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I have a timeshare thru Marriott and requested an exchange thru Interval International. I accidently entered the wrong search date. I intended to go in the summer but immediately received a confirmation for January 10 thru the 17. Oh Boy, I thought who wants to go on vacation in January when the chance of a flight from CT to anywhere has a good chance of being cancelled due to weather. Then I read the reviews, which were mixed. I almost cancelled but something told me not to. I decided to keep the reservation got a great deal on airfare and started to read more positive reviews. CAN I TELL YOU HOW THANKFULL I AM THAT I DIDNT CANCELL??!! The Newport Coast Villas are spectacular!!
Ive been to several Marriott timeshare villas and have to say this is the nicest one so far! I got some great tips here from previous reviews and some other helpful Tripadvisor members. So thanks to all.
Keep in mind I have never been to Souther CA so wasnt sure what to expect. OH MY, I am ready to move. We left cold CT and flew into SNA. We arrived at the marriott at night so couldnt appreciate the views until the next am. The girl at the desk was lovely and friendly. I asked for and received an oceanview villa in the higher number buildings. We had room 3843. The view overlooked the golfcourse, the ocean, and the beautiful grounds.
From what I read here, the higher the number the newer the building. Get a room on a higher floor, youll see the oceam better.
The room:
SPOTLESS clean, everything looked brand new to me. We had a patio/deck off the main living room and a small balcony off the master bedroom. We kept the door to the balcony open all night for the nice cool air. Woke up to the sunrise. I cant tell you how many times we said "Can you believe how beautiful this is??" There was only my husband and I and we really enjoyed having 2 bathrooms, no waiting for the other to finish showering, and I could spread out all my toiletiries!. The tub in the MB is pretty but its not a jacuzzi (no jets) so that was a little disappointing. The 2nd bedroom does not have a view, but its pretty big and very nice.
The resort: we went off season so plenty of room at the pool. But I hear its jammed during the summer.
Meticulously maintained grounds. the resort is big and sprawling and hilly. Great for morning walks for some exercise but may be too much for elderly people. If you are looking for a cozy, smaller resort this is not the place for you. The lobby is beautiful, as is the pool. There is construction but it was not noisy at all. There is snack bar (open 11 am to 5)at the pool that serves snacks, burgers, beer, and array of frozen libations.The frozen drinks were very pricey but the draft beers were only 2.50. Service is good. They are in the process of building a big bar at the pool but its not near completion just yet. The market is well stocked and they make awesome omlets in the lobby in the am. If you are young 20 somethings and looking for a big party atmosphere, you probably are better off elsewhere.
The weather:
Absolutely perfect all week. It was 70-85 degrees during the day, but NO humidity. You could wear a long sleve t shirt and jeans and never sweat. We also sat by the pool a couple days and it was just the right temp. Not a cloud in the sky all week.
The area: y
ou will need a car and do yourself a favor and get GPS. We couldnt have survived without it. We drove up and down Pacific Coast highway which is a nice drive. many restaurants within a short drive. Go shopping at Pavillions/Vons grocery store. Its really nice and they give the Marriott guest a great discounts. I saved $30. There is a great Mexican restaurant right down the street called Javiers. Its pricey but really, really cool, great atmosphere, good food and drinks. Dont go to El Ranchitto if you are looking for a good Margarita--yuk-- the food was ok though.

you will be with resonable driving distance to San Diego, LA, Hollywood, so get ready to do some great sight seeing. Ohh, and aat the Fashion Mall I got a great bargain in Bloomingdates on Prada sunglasses!!! I just love them and feel so good knowing I paid a thrid of what they were originally asking.
ok, Ive gone on long enough. if I didnt already own at Marriott I would have bought a week here. I cannot wait to go back. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
Judy

• Liked — view, cleanliness, friendly staff
  • Disliked — no jacuzzi in room
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JudyOq
California
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We are owners at NCV and stayed here Christmas week. The property is beautiful, but very large and hilly – getting from one end to the other is more than a casual stroll.

I called two months prior to arrival and again two weeks before check-in with room requests wanting something in buildings 4000, 4100, 4200, or 4500. When we arrived I was disappointed to find we were given a room in 4500. The front desk clerk was not concerned and said “well, we try to accommodate everyone’s requests.”

The room was spacious and well-appointed. The kitchen had everything we needed to prepare the meals we ate in. The couch (that doubled as a fold out bed) was not very comfortable, but we did not spend a lot of time in the living room. The balcony had a round table with four chairs that was great for coffee in the mornings!

We did not use the facilities other than the Teen Shack. My 17 year old said the room had 2 Playstations and 2 televisions, which was enough to keep him amused. I did go to the activities center to pick up a parking pass for Crystal Cove – only one per villa that has to be turned in at the end of each day. Only one vehicle can be parked in front of the villas. A couple of us did walk back/forth to Crystal Cove Beach that took 15-20 minutes.

My grandmother has a disabled placard and the front desk said she had to use the primary pass to park in one of the handicap spots by the villa. I decided I needed the hike to the parking garage after all the Christmas goodies. The wifi was on the blink for about 24 hours and when the front desk was made away a voicemail was sent to everyone to advise they were aware of the problem and were working on it. When it was fixed another voicemail was sent to let the guests know. Construction is still going on and could be heard during the daytime hours, but we were not around enough to be bothered.

I cannot add anything else to the other reviews. NCV is a beautiful property and we look forward to returning.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank LovetoScuba
Los Angeles
Reviewed December 30, 2008

I, too, am staying at the Marriott Coast Villas as I type my review.

We scored and got a 2 bedroom suite in the 3900 block with a killer ocean view. I can't say enough about the view as we have a balcony overlooking Crystal Cove. The master bedroom also has a mini balcony where you can open up the french doors to enjoy the ocean breeze.

The rooms are quite spacious and the bedrooms are nicely furnished. We really enjoyed our balcony during sunset hours.

The 3 TV's we have are not of the HD variety and on the one in the common area had a DVD player.

The walls are not as well insulated as you would expect from a Marriott category 5/6 property. You can hear voices outside as well as from the grounds below (despite being on the 4th floor).

No restaurants on the premises, though they are planning to build an upscale steakhouse on-site in 2010. Plenty of restaurants north of the property in Corona Del Mar or Newport Beach proper. There's also a Trader Joes, 2 lights south on Coast Hwy.

• Liked — The view from the property
  • Disliked — noise (e.g., shower or people walking outside)
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Abazaba
Hyatt Regency Newport Beach
#7 of 17 in Newport Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,409 reviews
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 22 in Huntington Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,217 reviews
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
Bay Shores Peninsula Hotel
#1 of 17 in Newport Beach

Been to Marriott's Newport Coast Villas? Share your experiences!